back to article The GPL self-destruct mechanism that is killing Linux

Does one of the biggest-ever revolutions in software, open source, contain the seeds of its own decay and destruction? Poul-Henning Kamp, a noted FreeBSD developer and creator of the Varnish web-server cache, wrote this year that the open-source world's bazaar development model - described in Eric Raymond's book The Cathedral …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. mike acker

as far as MSFT v Linus goes MSFT is its own enemy while Linus has an unlimited pool of allies generating Open Source Software.

The result: MSFT attempting to cram their style onto us (and make us pay for their stuff); Linus offering Freedom as the alternative at n/c

how will this play?

I think MSFT is retreating to the mobil and gaming area, leaving the desk workstations to Linus -- which various versions of Linux have already won the field for servers

as MSFT pushes into the mobil/gaming field they will face Google and Android on their other flank though...

"Half a league, Half a League, Half a League, onward ...

1. RICHTO
      Mushroom

I think you are a bit deluded there. Microsoft own over 90% of the desktop market and circa 50% of the server market by hardware revenue. Versus about 1% and 20% respectively for Linux.

And Microsoft's server market share is still growing (at the expense of UNIX).

1. Tim Bates

"circa 50% of the server market by hardware revenue"

I kind of find that one hard to see anyone measuring successfully - the invoices I see from Dell never have the price for Windows Server listed as a separate item. Does that mean this revenue is counting OEM licenses of Windows Server too? On a smaller server that can be more than the price of the hardware.

2. Antti Roppola
    Paris Hilton

Think of the furniture!

All those kludged spice racks and poorly assembled flat pack furniture assembled by delusional dilettantes detracting from the value of artisan crafted heirlooms! How on earth will we be able to pick out the quality articles?

3. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

A few more lumps of confusion in the article

The Linux kernel has forked: Android. Android had design features that worked well on a mobile phone, but were not appropriate to a cluster. Google considered merging back with Linus's Linux to be sufficiently valuable that they have been recoding bits of Android to scale better. Some of the new code has been merged. Linux and Android are getting closer.

Forks are good in free software. If you are Microsoft, you have a few programmers. To achieve anything, you must pick a direction and herd your programmers that way. If you picked the right direction, all well and good. Celebrate and have a beer. If you guess wrong, you end up with Windows ME, Long Horn Vista or Winphone. Free software has many programmers. It is practical to let all of them code in different directions. The result is lots and lots of editors, toolkits, GUIs, and so on. Some of them are tripe. Some of them are not your cup of tea. Some are outstanding and there is almost always something that gets the job done.

Business friendly is a Microsoft term for code they can embrace extend and extinguish. They labelled the GPL as not business friendly because if they used it, they would not be able to keep their customers locked in. Any other business that actually reads the license finds that the GPL is really friendly.

The pipes are still there. Start an xterm/gterm/konsole/LXterminal, read man bash and info coreutils then pipe away to your heart's content.

You do not need a virtual machine to mix languages. GCC can mix C, C++, fortran pascal (and probably a few more) with a little effort. I write lots of things in python and replace bits with C if speed is a problem. The advantage of Java is you can write once and run on one of several well maintained virtual machines. The advantage of Mono is that if you make a profit Microsoft can change the license and sue you for patent infringement.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: A few more lumps of confusion in the article

Forks may be good for the software, but they are terrible for the customers and Linux devs should think of the people who use their software as a cusomer, not as users. The product may be notionally free, but this doesn't mean that the userbase should expect poor customer services. Forking a product means that customers who have already chosen to use that product are presented with a choice of two or more products which may or may not do all of what they wanted to do in the first place. If you pick the wrong fork you may end up a year down the line using abandonware and face a huge challenge getting back to where you were.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@AC 16:38GMT - Re: A few more lumps of confusion in the article

So you are advocating a suppression of choice for the fear one might end up picking the wrong alternative ?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: @AC 16:38GMT - A few more lumps of confusion in the article

Choice is what you have when you decide what you want to use in the first place. Inconvenience and irritation is what you have when the product you are using ceases to be and you are presented with two or more forks to choose from, forks which may or may not do the job you initially wanted.

1. Graham Dawson Silver badge

Re: @AC 16:38GMT - A few more lumps of confusion in the article

No, that's choice. You seem to be complaining that there will be relatively painless alternatives when an open source project up and dies.

What happens when proprietary software is abandoned? No choice there. You have to find something else that likely is completely incompatible with your existing system. With the forks you at least have something that resembles what you already do, and most likely have something that is exactly the same as the software you already use, except it has some bug fixes and Feature X tacked on.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Consumers bewildered by choice and competition? That's the first argument against open source that appears to support central economic planning. well done Comrade.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"...The advantage of Mono is that if you make a profit Microsoft can change the license and sue you for patent infringement...."

Utter rubbish.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

There is an argument that says if you can just copy something then we don't really move on much.

Open source can result in an elimination of competition and it is competition that often drives people to produce something better than someone else.

1. Lee Dowling Silver badge

Imagine if the first caveman to invent fire had hidden the secret away and not shared it with anyone and just produced a "fire shop" that you could buy some fire from. I don't think humans would have evolved as quickly as they did. Thus, copying (including academic "copying", which is different to blatant plagiarism) is actually the only real sensible way forward. "Copy, and make better" is the best mantra you can have, and the unstated business plan of many a corporation.

But "better" itself is subjective. A brand-new Honda is almost certainly "better" than my own car in many areas. But if it's "better" for me or not is a much more subtle question - my requirements differ immensely to those of someone designing the perfect car. For a start, I need to afford it, and I'd quite like one I can repair without having to send it back to the manufacturer each time. Of course, a "better" car is likely to cost more and actually be beyond simple repair. But that makes it *not* better for my needs.

BSD vs GPL vs proprietary is a similar argument. Proprietary does things that the others can't (i.e. run the programs I need to use for work and games I want to use at home, although that situation is in flux at the moment, support all the hardware in my PC, etc.). But equally the open-source offerings provide me with advantages that I can't get from proprietary software, like being able to hack into the source and change stuff (and, although I'm one of the few that can, this has saved my employers lots of money several times already on everything from fax systems to access-control systems to simple things like making use of old hardware), and being able to deploy as many units as I like without counting licenses.

And even, when it comes to it, making up for some proprietary shortfall with some knocked-together solution. A case in point? How about an expensive proprietary access control system that stores all its data in a Firebird database on the controller machine - think SQLite, the whole database saved in a folder and run locally but you can still do "database-y" things to it? We wanted a list of people who are on the premises when we click a certain button. Proprietary offering is another £x plus some more on top of software we already had to pay for and doesn't really do much. We can't hack into the program or fake a key to give us that feature without breaking the license agreement. But I can load a Firebird-compatible DB layer onto a Linux machine, probe the database remotely over Samba, throw in a couple of SQL statements and viola, my results - Samba is GPL, Firebird is MPL, my code was "who cares, only I get to see it"PL, and I get my solution. No doubt the proprietary software is "better" and would do a better, more accurate, more coherent job of that task. But in terms of the end result, my hacked-together script is "better" for my workplace (so much so, I had their reseller's field engineers ask me for it so they could use it themselves).

Open source isn't "better" generally because nothing is. And if someone doesn't understand that, then I doubt they understand how to argue their own system is better anyway.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Imagine if the first caveman to invent fire had hidden the secret away"

This reminded me of someone failing to do that and getting called all sorts of names, like "prince of lies" and so on.

Anyhow, bygones and such. Back to the point: "Open source can result in an elimination of competition" is a rather interesting statement. In theory, yes, but that's not what happens. In practice, people see room to improve, the maintainer disagrees, forks ensue. Thus, we see easier competition than otherwise. I mean, how many alternatives to windows are there, and of the ones that tried, what caused their demise? Can similar things happen in open source land, why or why not?

It's quite interesting to dig into this for a bit, also as it might shed light on how revenue models (must) differ from proprietary ones.

2. feanor

The alternative argument is that if you can't just copy something you waste endless man hours reinventing the wheel.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Citation needed

Can you give me an example of elimination of competition due to open source?

4. Nuke
      FAIL

AC @ 9 Nov 13:05

Wrote :- "There is an argument that says if you can just copy something then we don't really move on much"

Is there? Not me chum, I am never satisfied with what is already there even if I can just copy it. I have my own ideas, but there just isn't time in this life to implement them all. Nor is it very evident around me - like the fact that you can copy Shakespeare does not seem to stop new authors coming along all the time.

And :- "Open source can result in an elimination of competition"

That's a new one! Usually the complaint about Open Source is that there are too MANY versions (Fedora vs Suse, KDE vs Gnome, Libre Office vs KOffice, emacs vs vi ... need I go on?). In fact it is maybe the MAIN complaint about Open Source that htere are too many alternatives clamouring for attention.

If you want to see how competition is killed, take a look at Microsoft's history. Here is somewhere to start :-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_v._Microsoft

5. Anonymous Coward
    Meh

garbage

IT is not Rocket Surgery or Brain Science. I would blame garbage collection for that. Certainly not the GPL.

6. Pete 2 Silver badge

Divide and conquer

> the ability to freely modify whatever software is running on his computer and share it

This ideal is great for the tiny minority of highly able individuals who have both the skills, motivation and the time to do this. So far as making Linux (or other GPL projects) popular, accepted and used by ordinary people, it's completely irrelevant. A theoretical nirvana that (even more than free speech) is promoted by its ignorant or naive proponents as being something it is not - and never, ever could be.

So while a small number of geeks can take a project and fork it, they are simply diluting the brand, A few forks turn out to be more successful than the original vision and yet more forks take over from dead, dying or stalled projects. However most of them offer nothing different or innovative but are merely platforms for someone's ego. (exactly how many MP3 players or DVD rippers does one universe need?).

What this means is that the GPL world is like an undisciplined army - a horde of separate proud footsoldiers, who take orders from no-one, rushing headlong with their battle-cry of "software wants to be free" towards the organised and fatally disciplined ranks of professional software developers. Sure: the GPL-ites may have numbers on their side, even enthusisam too - but superior marketing, design processes, documentation, training and support (albeit paid for) is no match for the unwashed marauders who's doom is inevitable - even if they happen to be right.

So instead of GPL software being a directed force. Applied to fixing the problems that everyday users want fixed and supplying a free, ubiquitous, easy to use, flexible solution that would be universally adopted at low cost and without borders we have a balkanised, unstable source of software. Instead of being usable by "the average person" it requires enormous, duplicated effort by each individual who wishes to install some of its parts - usually requiring a whole load of other dependent parts, too.

What will be GPL's epitaph? Instead of a headstone, reading "We made software for everyone to use", there will be a series of tiny pebbles with poorly spelled inscriptions scratched on them - mostly the same, that when put together will read: A Lo'st oporrtinity LOL"

1. Tim Parker

@Pete : Re: Divide and conquer

'Instead of being usable by "the average person" it requires enormous, duplicated effort by each individual who wishes to install some of its parts - usually requiring a whole load of other dependent parts, too.'

Thank you for repeating the same, old, tired bollocks - I was wondering when that was going to make an appearance and was worried i'd missed it.

Please pray tell, exactly what things are required by the "average user" on your average Linux-based OS that require "enormous, duplicated effort by each individual who wishes to install" it ?

1. Pete 2 Silver badge

Re: @Pete : Divide and conquer

> exactly what things are required by the "average user" on your average Linux-based OS that require "enormous, duplicated effort by each individual who wishes to install" it

You've obviously never had to watch an ordinary, non-technical but scarily intelligent human being going through the frustration of trying to install libdvdcss2 on her machine. I'm sure more than a millisecond's thought would throw up many more examples. But that will do for now.

1. feanor

I've done this any number of time on any number of distros. My 14 year old son worked that one out after 5 mins. Clearly not as intelligent as you were led to believe.

Plus any complication around libdvdcss is imposed on distro's by the proprietary nature of the code.

So bad example.

Next?

1. Pete 2 Silver badge

> I've done this any number of time on any number of distros

and there's the clue. We aren't talking about the self-selected collection of uber-geeks who frequent El Reg. We're talking about normal people who don't know, care or feel it's polite to ask them if they're running Debian, SuSE, Centos or any of the million other none-quite-the same distros. As for whether it's i386 or 64 bit? the blank look you get could swallow entire civilisations.

That people who can do this with ease can only scoff and look down upon those who can't is exactly the problem with GPL software and is the clearest reason why it will never be a usable solution for the "other 99%"

1. DiBosco
              Linux

Bullshit. Utter and total bullshit.

You go into your repository (that's the app centre for the braincell challenged and unimaginative of you), select libdvdcss and, er, hit "install". Oh my gosh, how much of a geek do you need to be to do that. How did anyone without a degree in rocket science ever work it out?

Or...

..install something like Mageia, Mint or a whole load of other distributions where it's installed by default. Sheesh the FUD that people come out.

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

@DiBosco - I don't think you understand what Pete is saying: Some very intelligent people indeed, who just happen to not be IT people, don't even understand the concept of a repository, or that it could be possible to have an operating system which comes with a media player of some sort, on a system with a DVD drive and can't play back DVDs until something is manually installed by them.

A case in point: My father in law is a retired Neuro-pathologist (ie: smarter than most) he had a spare laptop kicking around (a small generic, common dell netbook) and mentioned to me that he'd heard of this linux thing and would like to try it out. So last time I stayed at their place, I said that I'd stick fedora onto it for him. Normally this is a pretty straight-forward process, I've done it loads of times, but this particular install took an entire day because the screen was 1366x768 and this particular one wasn't supported despite it being generic hardware and the wireless network required downloading a driver a compiling it myself. Both of these activities took large amounts of trial and error and internet research. A smart, non-IT guy, would not have been able to carry out this work because they wouldn't have known where to start. I had to research and repeat work which had been done by many people already and should have been in the build from day one. We're not talking about obscure hardware either...

1. Anonymous Coward
                  Anonymous Coward

"because the screen was 1366x768 and this particular one wasn't supported despite it being generic hardware and the wireless network required downloading a driver a compiling it myself"

Live-CDs - use, check everything works and then go on and install

1. Anonymous Coward
                    Anonymous Coward

I may be able to use a live CD to check everything works, but if I have fixed hardware and a "put linux on this" task to complete, I still have to research on the Internet and manually make it work.

Let me re-iterate: This was a generic Dell bog standard nothing special laptop, it was a year or so old and had standard nic, graphics and wifi. It should have just worked.

2. Ben Tasker

@AC

sorry, just to clarify - your father is a smart guy but a Linux newbie and you chose Fedora? WTF did you think was going to happen when you tried to introduce a newbie using something that's essentially bleeding-edge?

That's not a problem with Linux per se, more an issue with the advice you're giving. Its a bit like putting someone on Ubuntu 12.10 instead of an LTS - there are going to be kinks. Are you planning on installing the Win 9 RTM if/when we see that?

3. JEDIDIAH
                  Linux

> Some very intelligent people indeed, who just happen to not be IT people, don't even understand the concept of a repository,

They understand App Stores and GUIs.

That's all that's necessary for a suitably complete distribution.

The entire situation is an artificial legal issue that has squat to do with the underlying usability of Linux.

4. DiBosco

Yes, and he wouldn't have been able to install Windows either. That's a completely different argument.

As for taking a day to install and needing to compile wireless drivers, I again say, use a more non-techy, user friendly version such as the hugely underrated Mageia or Mint or similar. I've not had to compile wireless drivers for at least two years since even the Broadcom drivers are now open source.

As for not understanding a repository, I just do not accept that a two minute explanation is beyond the understanding of someone with the most basic amount of intelligence. No-one says they can't understand the Apple app store or the Android Play store and that they need certain things installing to carry out certain tasks. A repository is exactly the same thing. Linux comes with an office suite, acrobat readers and all sorts of other stuff that Windows does not have; do people run away from having to install those on Windows and without the benefit of the wonderful repository system?

What I do understand is the people just come out with an endless list of invalid excuses and FUD when it comes to talking about Linux and conveniently forget that for every issue Linux has, Windows its own problem.

1. LaeMing
                    Joke

@DiBosco

There is one huge fundamental difference between a Repository and an App Store - a repository doesn't need your credit card number to bill you for fundamental software functionality.

It's evil and anti-American I tell you!

5. Anonymous Coward
                  Anonymous Coward

"A smart, non-IT guy, would not have been able to carry out this work because they wouldn't have known where to start. I had to research and repeat work which had been done by many people already and should have been in the build from day one. We're not talking about obscure hardware either..."

I replaced Vista with Win XP on a Gateway laptop for which XP was not officially supported. The experience was very similar to what you encountered with Fedora Linux.

So what was your point again?

6. Keith Smith 1
                  FAIL

XOh my. . . 1366x768 you say. Please buy an oem windows XP and give an install shot on that baby and tell me if you are any more successful. Ie I call bullshit on the argument. Your comparing a Vendor pre-installation with a customer install. I've had no end the first grief with 1366x768 on XP with various video cards.

7. P. Lee

If you don't understand the tech, you buy the expertise or get it from elsewhere.

So you buy a dvd player or you get VLC from their website.

I'm surprised the major distro's haven't caught onto this and include something in the installation script which says:

1. I am in the USA and wish to buy a DVD-player license for my DVDs (radio button)

2. I am legally allowed to use a free DVD player (radio button)

3. I do not wish to play DVDs.

The distros could make a bit of cash off that.

8. Nuke
                  Holmes

Re: @AC 16:59 @Pete : Divide and conquer

My father in law .. (smarter than most) ... mentioned to me that he'd heard of this linux thing and would like to try it out. Normally this is a pretty straight-forward process, I've done it loads of times, but this particular install took an entire day because ...etc etc ... A smart, non-IT guy, would not have been able to carry out this work because they wouldn't have known where to start.

But would a smart non-IT guy have been able to install Windows?

2. PhilBuk

@DiBosco - you've just demonstrated Pete's point.

Phil.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. DiBosco

@PhilBUK

How?

3. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

I just installed libdvdcss on a Debian system; it's a bit geeky (./configure/make/make install) but easy enough if the development tools are installed. The problem with libdvdcss appears to be that in some places it's illegal software (posting anon for that reason). While this installation definitely is not for the faint of heart, it is not truly difficult and is far from the norm for application packages.

Gnu/Linux has its challenges, but there appears to be a thriving market for PC geeks to assist largely windows users in managing their systems, so I guess there are issues with that as well. The PC, whatever the installed OS, undoubtedly is the most complicated machine that most people ever use.

4. RICHTO
                Mushroom

How about playing back a Blu Ray movie under Linux then? Good luck with that one without lots of screwing around.

The easiest way is to run up a Windows VM.....

2. Bernardo Sviso
              Boffin

> > I've done this any number of time on any number of distros

> and there's the clue. We aren't talking about the self-selected collection of uber-geeks who frequent El Reg. We're talking about normal people who don't know, care or feel it's polite to ask them if they're running Debian, SuSE, Centos or any of the million other none-quite-the same distros. As for whether it's i386 or 64 bit? the blank look you get could swallow entire civilisations.

</quote>

You mean people like me, who've never worked in IT (in favour of a career buying and selling used books) but somehow managed to install and get comfortable with Debian well over a decade ago?

Or the mill-worker I met in the local Starbuck's last spring, who told me that the Ubuntu variant running on his netbook was nice enough -- but was going to reinstall Slackware again, because he liked it better?

Or the grad students working on their History/Poli-Sci/English Lit theses, and were very happy with Ubuntu/Mandriva/Turbo Linux?

Or the financial consultant who told me how his group practice/partnership had switched half their desktops and all their servers to Linux -- on their own, because they didn't have an in-house "IT guy" (and as a result they wasted less time and frustration doing IT stuff instead of paying work)?

It's a matter of attitude, not a matter of how "uber-geek" one might be.

1. LaeMing
                Meh

On a serious note

I shudder at what would happen if I moved my senior-cit. mum off Kubuntu. She would get totally lost in the whole missing-basic-functionality-until-you-pay-more, having-to-go-here-there-everywhere-on-the-internet-to-update-drivers-and-software commercial IT world.

3. Anonymous Coward
              Linux

Über-geeks who frequent El Reg?

> We aren't talking about the self-selected collection of uber-geeks who frequent El Reg

Install Ubuntu alongside Windows 7

2. JEDIDIAH
          Linux

> through the frustration of trying to install libdvdcss2

Are you kidding? That's a hack to get around the DMCA. It's an extreme legal grey area only made difficult by a highly corrupt American copyright law. It's relevance to just about anything else is nil.

If that's really the best you can do then you just proved the other guys point.

3. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Frustration of trying to install libdvdcss2

"You've obviously never had to watch an ordinary, non-technical but scarily intelligent human being going through the frustration of trying to install libdvdcss2 on her machine"

$sudo wget http://packages.medibuntu.org/pool/free/libd/libdvdcss/libdvdcss2_1.2.12-0.0medibuntu1_amd64.deb

$sudo dpkg -i libdvdcss2_1.2.12-0.0medibuntu1_amd64.deb

2. Chemist

"duplicated effort by each individual who wishes to install"

Well it took me 25 mins last night - mind I was doing something else at the same time

2. Lee Dowling Silver badge

Re: Divide and conquer

A common misconception is that EVERYONE needs to contribute back. It's just not true. I have code in open-source projects out there, but it's pretty minimal to say the least, and I have several private patches that I wouldn't dare to pollute a foreign codebase with. But most of the people I know who are the largest users of open-source don't contribute anything at all, and yet it still thrives and grows every year (use Firefox? You're one of them).

The reality is that *I* benefit from other people being able to see the code and play with it. The usual argument is security, but it goes far, far beyond that. A single patch, approved, tested and posted to the Linux kernel will end up on MILLIONS of machines within hours. I benefit from that. I benefit from moaning about it not working too. I benefit from other people looking at code and saying "I can't understand that, it looks like complete nonsense" on any of the projects that I use. I even benefit when projects are forked or abandoned because of that (because otherwise *I* would have to fork myself, be left without support, have to start up a rival project from scratch, or go seek out alternatives on my own).

99.9999% of GPL-licensed software users push back exactly zilch. That's not a problem at all. Nobody really cares, but it's more than, say, the number of Microsoft users whose code ends up in Windows (good luck with that!). You're confusing users with developers, though.

As the barest of bare amateur developers, I have tested, patched and hacked the code I have available to make it work the way I need to. Everything from patching the rt2500 drivers on my private systems with a patch that I had to craft to get it to compile on a new kernel (pre kernel inclusion, something to do with the way interrupts were handled changing in that kernel, if I remember), to the patches I have to make to my own copy of Hylafax to get it to run the numerous fax lines in my workplace without forcing me to upgrade to the next version to get feature X (risking a hefty mid-cycle upgrade), to fixing TuxPaint (I work in schools, it's one of their most used programs) to juggle the menu items to make them easier for little kids, to providing a routine to OpenTTD that reduced the amount of bug reports they got where people were using hacked/unofficial datafiles (which has since stopped a lot of spam on their bug monitoring and provided several people with the knowledge that their datafile were unintentionally corrupted - who knows, maybe I found out for someone that their hard disk was corrupt by that patch!).

Those little changes are the freedom I pay for. If notepad doesn't want to open a particular file, there is bog-all I can do about it. But if *metapad*, the program I use in preference because it lets you do lots more, does it then I can work out why and change its behaviour, or lobby to have it changed. I don't expect a user to, but like some of the things mentioned above, after some time they may be able to do exactly what I've done without having to know how (the first person to invent the wheel was a genius, the people who followed after benefited from his genius, and now we all take wheels for granted).

Similarly, I just hacked Classic Shell because that open-source project refused to allow in a feature that I think it needs (an option so right-clicking the toolbar provides the "old" Windows context menu by default and the "new" Windows context menu if you're holding Shift, instead of vice-versa). So I hacked the code myself, added the feature, and *I'm* better off even if no-one else is. And I didn't require their co-operation at all (and received just the opposite). But how many people can actually go and tweak their *Microsoft* Start bar or put it back into Windows no matter how nice they are to MS.

The GPL, especially, gives users and developers the freedom to benefit from each other. It's arguable that the average end user ever really benefits from MS developer's wild ideas. But certainly, though your granny can't hack into the KDE source code, she benefits from it being available to others.

Think about the movie I, Robot:

Man (sarcastically): "Can a robot create a masterpiece?"

Robot: "Can you?"

Arguing that users don't benefit is like saying that air passengers don't benefit from someone looking into aircraft designs, their safety, effectiveness and room for improvement, from outside the industry, or even the general public provoking outcry when a particular type of plane keeps having problems. Of course they do. They just can't necessarily do it themselves directly.

The GPL's epitaph? "Someone better came along and replaced us. Mission accomplished."

3. sueme2
      Linux

Re: Divide and conquer

World domination is just a matter of time. The last time I looked, Linux worked out of the box on more hardware than any other operating system. I can not recall where I saw the stat, but it sort of does match reality. For me, it just works. There is a thing called a "learning curve" If you are unlearned then you are free to ask, and you will be given the free knowledge. If you are not prepared to learn, then stick with what you think you know.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: towards the organised and fatally disciplined ranks of professional software developers

So you're one of those people who think that only amateur hobbyists are Linux developers? Or are you just a FUD-spreading shill?

7. plrndl
    Linux

Hurding Cats

20 years on from Tannenbaum's promotion of the microkernal as the new black, I am not aware of any such OS that has made it out of academia. When's the last time anyone heard anything about the GNU Hurd? Everything that isn't Windows is UNIX derived. Meanwhile Linux is taking over the world, apart from the desktop, which is rapidly going out of fashion.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like