back to article Kim Dotcom's new Mega site barred by Gabon

The government of Gabon has thrown a wrench in internet tycoon Kim Dotcom's plans to launch a new version of his Megaupload file-sharing site by suspending his domain name registration in that country, citing intellectual property concerns. Dotcom had planned to call his new site www.me.ga, using Gabon's .ga top-level domain …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Danny 14

Re: He ought to STFU

Africa is a big place and certainly bigger than nigeria. Plus Gabons president in Ali Ben Bongo which is a great name.

1. Hieronymus Howerd

Almost, not quite.

Still, top marks to Gabon for politician names, as you say.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Kim is making a big deal about claiming how legitimate his new site is... so why exactly base it in a third world nation with questionable copyright laws and no extradition arrangements?"

Even though I have disliked Herr Dotcom since his "Kimble" days, he has a point. Even if you were entirely legit on paper, anything within reach of America is in danger of extra-judicial buttsecks, if it annoys the wrong people.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Kim is making a big deal about claiming how legitimate his new site is... so why exactly base it in a third world nation with questionable copyright laws and no extradition arrangements?"

...because the TLD is 'ga' which is the second half of 'me.ga'. Obvious. To a slow-learning gibbon with Alzheimer's.

1. Sam Liddicott

New DNS root, resolvers

I guess he could run the DNS resolvers too.

I guess it would be quite popular among his customers.

It would make it hard for the USA to nab domains served by his resolver.

2. elderlybloke
    Happy

Lots of us Love Kim

Down here in NZ , our Politicians were shown up be licking the arse of the Americans when they raided Dotcom's home.

The FBI were among the gun toting (assault rifles) coppers ,SIS ,SAS etc. etc.

The affair which the Courts have ruled as illegal ,has shown how our Politicians were pawns of America.

This armed raid was to arrest an alleged criminal whose alleged crime was operating a File Share Website.

The whole thing is a P.R. disaster for the Politicians,and has given much joy to us citizens who know what they are like.

It is know he has had convictions for relatively minor crimes and he has done his time for those.

He is a smart cookie and he will have learned to be even more law abiding than Bankers and Financiers.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.