back to article Naughty-step Apple buries court-ordered apology with JavaScript

Apple insisted it would take 14 days to publish a three-sentence declaration on its UK website that Samsung had not ripped off the iPad design. But in the 48 hours Judge Robin Jacob instead gave the Jesus mobe maker, Apple has managed to upload both the statement and a wad of JavaScript code that resizes the homepage's central …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Matt Bryant Silver badge
            FAIL

Re: Stupid, stupid move.

"......Y'all should try reading a book on the subject sometime." If I ever mistakenly stray into a hippy commune I might come across one of the books you no doubt approve of. Still wouldn't read it, though.

1. Ken Hagan Gold badge

@Matt: Maybe those books *work* on hippy children, at least in the sense of making them grow up into more hippies.

2. Ken Hagan Gold badge
            Trollface

"There are a hundred ways to get children to behave that don't involve yelling. Y'all should try reading a book on the subject sometime."

Nice, but you should have posted under your own name so that you could choose the right icon.

1. messele
          Holmes

Oh I'm not entitled to my opinion on the subject then?

If somebody brings an irrelevant comparison into a debate then I'm doing to damn-well say what I please. Yeah, bad parent will do, the world is full of them. You didn't notice we are slowing heading down the tubes as a species then? (Inevitable "No you are" reply coming soon...)

Carry on your pointless fantasising about the kind of punishment that should be meted out to Apple. It's pretty laughable given that the (poor, defenceless) company you are all clambering to defend is run by convicted criminals.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

@messele

Clearly your father had to shout at you too, otherwise you wouldn't of placed such a retarded comment.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Well, guess what, your opinion is based on so little information that it is completely worthless, troll."

The use of "ordered to" and especially "commanded to" sound a bit odd to me, I have to say. And your stated opinion that he's a troll doesn't mean anything either; terms like "troll" and "shill" are so overused here when someone doesn't like what they read that they no longer have any value. Your 25 (count at time of writing,) supporters don't really count either. Accusing someone of trolling always gets upvotes.

1. DF118
            Trollface

Accusing someone of trolling always gets upvotes.

Especially when they're actually trolling

2. David Dawson

The use of "ordered to" and especially "commanded to" sound a bit odd to me

------

Heh. That didn't sound odd to me at all, but we've obviously understood different things...

With my children, I tell them what to do, I'd be happy calling it command, and then i fully expect them to do what I tell them. If they don't, which is infrequently, I coerce them.

Based of the above description, you will still have no idea what I am like as a parent. How do I coerce? What do I tell them to do? It's too ambiguous, just like the previous statements.

This is really quite off topic now, but I personally get quite frustrated by the lazy, condescending, assumption that equates discipline with abuse, which is what is being implied above.

It devalues real abuse, in my opinion (there's the magic o weird, again!).

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Re: Marquee, blinking,etc.

You're not trying hard enough. Make them use Flash :)

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Do you think Google would be any better? of course not. They're being investigated for monopoly abuse.

1. Captain Underpants
        Thumb Down

@AC 12:05

"Do you think Google would be any better? of course not. They're being investigated for monopoly abuse."

That may be, but it's irrelevant. The Doctrine of Hypothetical Relative Filth is of no relevance as to whether Apple have behaved in a silly fashion here, but hey - don't let that get in the way of trying to stick up for your favourite fruit-themed multinational technology vendor.

2. a cynic writes...
        Holmes

No, I don't think Google would be any better...but that's not exactly relevant is it? If any company ends up a similar position and starts playing silly buggers like this I'll happily put the boot in. Google haven't...yet.

More to the point, the main criticism is that Apple are being a teensy bit juvenile - has it not occurred to you that the "Google would do it too" defence is as well?

1. Tom 13

Re: don't think Google would be any better.

Concur that it isn't relevant, but I expect Google would do better. They do have the minimalist download rule thingy for their home page. Other than that, yeah, they'd hide it too.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

What you are saying is simply: Because your dog craps on the carpet, mine should too!?

4. John Bailey
        Facepalm

"Do you think Google would be any better? of course not. They're being investigated for monopoly abuse."

Actually.. Yes.

In the past, when they have been found to be in the wrong, unlike Microsoft with it's epic EU case, or Apple with it's various hissy fits, Google actually obeys the court, and stops doing what ever it was caught doing. And doesn't spend the next few years in endless appeals.

They are being investigated for anti competitive behaviour.. Key word being "INVESTIGATED". Not have been found guilty.

Someone made a complaint, the competition commission and others are charged with deciding if there is any merit tot he accusation. And if sufficient misconduct is found.. then they will be taken to task over it. If not, case never brought.

1. messele
          Mushroom

Actually that's crap. They were caught with a copy of all that wardriving Wi-Fi information that they slurped from every one of us after they swore that the data had been destroyed.

That was after lying about "some programmer" putting the software on their wardriving car's computers without it having anything to do with Google as a whole.

Do you people actually believe that Google are giving you all of this stuff for free and they want nothing in return from you? Oh, they are getting lots in return. Lots and lots and lots and they know more about you than you do. As does anybody they care to share that information with.

5. f1rest0rm
        Thumb Down

@AC 12:05

What have Google got to do with this? It's about Apple taking the piss with a court judgement in a case against Samsung.

Not to say that Google woul;dn't be just as bad ... and get a proper kicking here as well.

6. Mr.Mischief
        FAIL

If we're talking boardgames then is Apple going to be investigated for SORRY! abuse?

2. Mark 75
      FAIL

How on earth do you "heavily fine" a company like Apple when they've got billions in the bank? What's a few hundred thousand £ to them?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Given that a contempt of court fine can be unlimited, I really wouldn't mess with them

1. Bronek Kozicki
          Thumb Up

"court fine can be unlimited" ouch really ?!

Hm what's the current UK budget deficit compared to Apple cash balance sheet ....

1. EddieD

Oh please...

It's perfectly simple - they only had 24hours, so made a mistake with the Javascript. It's all the fault of that mean judge who's being so perfectly beastly to us, darling...

1. Matt Bryant Silver badge
      Joke

Re: Oh please...

"..... they only had 24hours, so made a mistake with the Javascript...." I'm actually impressed Apple staff could come up with the idea, write the code and get it working in 24 hours! Oh, hold on a sec - does it still work if you're not holding the monitor properly?

2. Pen-y-gors

Extradition?

If they keep pissing the court around some senior Apple staff will be spending Christmas in Pentonville on Wormwood Scrubs.

I assume the US will be happy to extradite Tim Cook to the UK?

1. Crisp

Re: Extradition?

Since the crime was committed here. He deserves to stand trial here.

He might be a bit tricky to arrest though. I suggest that we send the SAS in.

1. Naughtyhorse

Re: Extradition? are you mad????

risking good ol brit blood and treasure in the US????

doncher know it's the most dangerous country on earth? - just a few thousand of their troops usually manage to wipe out a few dozen of ours and an orphanage or two before the mag is empty, can you _imagine_ what a country infested with 300 million of the buggers, with constitutionaly guaranteed anti tank weapons is like?

now drones we have :-D

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: I suggest that we send the SAS in.

Cool. But could you make it a daylight raid and PM me the time?

I want to video tape it for You Tube and I'd hate to blow the secret by having to setup lights for a night raid.

3. John Latham

Come back <blink>, all is forgiven.

If ever there was a use case for 100px red flashing text on a web page, this is it.

1. Crisp

Re: Come back <blink>, all is forgiven.

No.

That's the thin end of the wedge. Before you know it, there will be <marquee> tags everywhere, Closely followed by flying toasters and dancing jesuses.

You have been warned,

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Come back <blink>, all is forgiven.

"Before you know it, there will be <marquee> tags everywhere, Closely followed by flying toasters and dancing jesuses."

And embedded MIDI files. Don't forget embedded MIDI files.

I know I haven't forgotten.

No matter how I've tried.

4. SiempreTuna
    Thumb Up

Shirley that's Contempt of Court

Again.

This time the judge HAS to bang some senior Appleite up :)

5. Gordon 10

Bit puzzled on this one

Why go to all that trouble merely to hide it from those browsing at quite hi res anyway. Regardless of the script the lowest section of screen (including normal apple stuff) doesnt show up with vertical resolutions < 1200 anyway.

6. NinjasFTW
    Devil

.com redirect changed as well

The regional redirect so that a UK user going to www.apple.com would be redirected to www.apple.com/uk/ has now also gone so you have to enter the full UK path to get to the 'appology'.

1. Ragarath
      Megaphone

Re: .com redirect changed as well

Yes, you're right, just tried this. To me this is Apple doing everything they can to not comply with the spirit of the law.

Heavy fines and getting Apple employees (the ones responsible) in the courts is the order IMO. I must note I am not a lawyer and have no idea what the courts are allowed to do but Apple have shown contempt of the courts decision for too long now, and it is not subtle. Something needs to be done.

Megaphone because it needs to be shouted about. Fed up with Apples practices.

2. Andy 115

Regional redirect…

…was never there to start with though (but nice conspiracy theory)

7. Anonymous Coward
    Headmaster

Exactly what the court ordered

"However, they [appeals court judges] added that the move need not "clutter" Apple's homepage as it would only have to add a link entitled "Samsung/Apple judgement" for a one-month period."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19989750

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Exactly what the court ordered

No, not exactly, look at the date of your linked article. That is talking about the initial order where a link was required to point to a separate page explaining the order. That is the page where Apple had their little hissy fit which has caused this whole paragraph they're trying to hide now.

Had they complied with the initial order they wouldn't be in this position now.

8. My Alter Ego
    Mushroom

Definitely not an Apple fan, but ...

I feel I should point out that the US site appears to be the only one that doesn't do the Javascript resizing - Oz, German, French sites do the resizing too.

If course, I'm sure it's just a coincidence that Apple decided to roll out this change just now.

</sarcasm>

It's also pretty blatant that's it's been done on purpose - create a very tall thin window, and it'll still hide the footer, but still increase the iPad mini advert so that you need to scroll right - that's not ideal UI design.

Flames - I'm sure I'll be voted down for pointing this out.

9. messele
    FAIL

Talk about not getting things right...

When are rags like The Register going to stop reporting that the judge ordered Apple to apologise?

He did nothing of the sort, he simply ordered a public declaration of the outcome of the court case.

1. Martin
      Happy

Re: Talk about not getting things right...

Just looking ahead. The judge will sure as hell be demanding that Apple apologise soon.

2. sabroni Silver badge
      Flame

Re: rags like The Register

Burn the heretic!

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Shagbag
      Thumb Up

@messele:

Thanks for the post.

I have to admit I enjoy reading these "King Canute"-type posts.

P.S. I haven't down voted you because your post made me giggle.

1. messele
        Thumb Up

So long as somebody is entertained Shagbag. I mean it's not like I actually give a crap about stuff like this that doesn't personally affect me but it is amusing to watch the drones go nuts when you shove your head in the hive and blow raspberries at the Queen.

10. Simon Harris
    Thumb Down

14 days...

Now I know why Apple wanted 14 days to put the message up...

So they had plenty of time to work out the most sneaky way of hiding it!

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Apologies are ugly, so they're trying to hide them so the visitor to the site only gets to see the beautiful Apple designs.

1. Shagbag

Thank you for pointing that out. I hadn't realised that this is what was going on. Perhaps you could help me further by letting me know if the Sun is going to set tonight and rise tomorrow?

You can email me: "pointlessPosts@statingTheMindNumbinglyObvious.com"

12. Gideon 1

It would be very embarrassing for Apple if the court ordered that their execs be imprisoned for a month if they ever set foot on British soil, the media worldwide would enjoy that. It's hard to see what else the court could do.

13. Smallbrainfield
    Windows

Apple is behaving like the kid who throws a strop at his own birthday party.

The grown-ups and the other kids are all laughing, which of course only makes it worse. Eventually pigtails get pulled or lemonade is spilled and the birthday boy has to go sit on the stairs.

Grow up Apple, you seem to have a license to print money and people can't get enough of your tat. There would have been less fuss if you had quietly complied instead of behaving like a bunch of nobheads.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like