back to article Valve taps testers for Linux Steam

Valve is seeking participants for its Steam for Linux beta test and has asked experienced users of the open source platform to apply. The company confirmed it would launch Steam for Ubuntu back in July, but failed to hint at any release dates. It did, however, promise a port of Left 4 Dead 2, and a month later claimed that games …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Silver badge

Re: Surely they shouldn't be...

For an inexperienced user the Linux Steam install process is likely to go as follows:

Either 1) Open the Ubuntu Software Centre, search for 'Steam' and then click 'install'.

Or 2) Go to the Steam website, download the .deb file, double click the .deb file.

Anonymous Coward

That sucks!

Why the hell is it Ubuntu only? What's with that? I mean if it requires new dependencies, or unique programs or whatever, can Valve not create a separate RPM package repository alongside the Advanced Packaging Tool's respective packages? For a commercial company betting a lot, and I'm sure a career or few, on this being a success, this so-called "beta" is sorely lacking. So why only target one Distribution and what amounts to one Desktop Environment?

But really, wouldn't you want to beta it across distributions and environments to find bugs? I mean, damn, what about people using Mint? Or Fedora? or openSUSE? There are alot of them, and Valve is basically saying "Fuck them. Not important". Linux ain't Windows. Its not homogenous. At all.

Not smart on Valve's part if you ask me, unless they want a controlled environment to make dumb advertising claims. Or I guess money from Canonical and/or Amazon. Same thing anymore kind of.

Re: That sucks!

Why the hell is it Ubuntu only?

Dude, chill out. They partnered with Canonical on this. Of course Ubuntu gets it first. The others will follow, but they went first with the popular desktop distro that's officially supported by both nVidia and AMD. How long do you think it will take after this comes out for the ports to appear? Don't be daft.

It's not that bad.

Since everything, except the Steam client. is open source, all one has to do is mimic the setup. This may requires some building from source and static libraries in non-standard locations but let's not forget: They asked for 'experienced users'.

Silver badge
Linux

If you want to create your own RPM, you can probably just rip apart the DEB start from there.

Poke the binaries with ldd and off you go.

It would be not unlike what Ubuntu does with the Nvidia driver or Virtualbox.

Linux

Yeah if they release a .deb for this I would give it a few hours before a RPM is flying about.

It isn't that hard to build a package to install/link library that a bin file needs.

Bronze badge
Linux

This is a good start Valve - I'll be putting in 3 sign ups.

For JDX:

1) Sorry, nope, I shaved this morning.

2) Damn, Yes I did get a call last night from Incident folks after a storage array pitched a fit, the cluster is back up and running now.

3) Oh right, I still have an alias out there in the intertubes that has been known to put in patches.

4) I've been a GM on a certain popular blizzard game. Still play when I have the time.

5) both of my teenage boys will be signing up.

And if Valve gets steam right , EA will dive in with them, I'm quite sure. At that point my wife will happily convert.

Oh - and -- right -- my work laptop? Officially sanctioned linux flavoured distro from the company. Which will be converting quite a few users to linux.

(ps, fastest way to recover a pooched windows installation on ANY hardware? wanna guess?)

(Tux - linux for almost 20 years now and damned proud of it, converting windows users weekly)

JDX
Gold badge

Re: This is a good start Valve - I'll be putting in 3 sign ups.

I'm not sure what any of that has to do with me, or which of my comments you might be referring to? All I can guess is that because you personally know several people using Linux you think that makes it popular. Hmm, no. If I go into Starbucks I'd conclude Mac is the dominant laptop seller. That's not true either.

And can there be anything more pathetic than a man who evangelises an OS because he truly believes in his very soul that he's saving people from MS?

Bronze badge

I never said linux was popular.

I never said linux was "better".

I never said that linux would save anyone.

Who's making assumptions?

Anonymous Coward

"Who's making assumptions?"

I'd call them reasonable inferences based on what you wrote. Which always defeats the limp "I never said" defence.

Silver badge

Why post as yourself in one section, and then go anon to reply the next? Are you that butthurt that so few people share your opinion?

Holmes

This could also be a spring board for Valves own hardware

There are also rumours regarding VAlve making their own gaming hardware. This would be a great way of making a cheap platform that can use off the shelf hardware and a stripped down open source OS to get the best bang per buck.

Thumb Up

Re: This could also be a spring board for Valves own hardware

Agreed, all I hope for is an "easy" way to use non steam software on said hardware. Effectively making it a gaming HTPC.

This post has been deleted by its author

Linux

The one time!

Probably the only time I regret I don't run Ubuntu. I may have to install it in a VM.

Linux

Re: The one time!

Don't worry about that, there's been a lot of discussion on the steam forum about using other distos. I think the main things are support and debugging. Canonical is working with Valve on this, so they'll get support from that side and systems would be as uniform as a Linux set up could be for debugging side of stuff.

Anonymous Coward

However...

Most of this discussion misses the not-unimportant point that Steam is, basically, crap.

Anonymous Coward

Re: However...

Still better than origin though. I know that isn't really saying much >.>

Silver badge

THE PLAN

for me at least. Dual boot. A production OS on one partition, either windows or ubuntu. And on the other partition a minimalist Linux distro, Arch Linux perhaps. Nothing on there except what's needed for steam.

negligible OS overhead, access to the maximum amount of available resources. It's the closest thing to a games console OS setup you could get with a PC.

Silver badge

Re: THE PLAN

Dual boot is very 90's.

Personally, I'll have whatever gaming-OS I consider to need full direct access to the hardware as the VM host, hosting VM's of whatever other OS I want to use.

Modern computer with virtualisation instructions in the processor - zero impact. VM visible interface - zero if you use the right software.

Just installed Windows 8 in a VM on my machine (about the 4th / 5th that I've got running on my new laptop). Will use that for work (with VM encrypted with Truecrypt to protect work data), base OS for games and home, and have other OS available at the click of a button for testing / user support.

This is coming from a man who once had a 2000-line long AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS to select from any of dozens of custom, hand-tuned DOS setups, Linux setups (syslinux, etc.) and other things back in the day.

Don't dual-boot. VM. And then you put the computer, the hardware and the security into the hands of a known and trusted OS, and can give things like Windows only what they need, sit them behind the Linux VM host firewall, and run them only when required.

Thumb Up

I'M SO EXCITED

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums