back to article Samsung posts record profits as Galaxy sales crush Apple

Booming mobile sales have powered record profits at Samsung in Q3. Samsung published a preliminary statement of their financials yesterday [PDF] which shows a 91 per cent increase in net profit compared to the same three months last year. The South Korean firm drew in 6.56 trillion won profit ($5.9bn or £3.7bn) in the three …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

All those Sheepsung people wandering around, all thinking "look at how different I am".

1. CmdrX3
      FAIL

Oh ffs is that the best you've got

Sheepsung.... really?

(F) - Must try harder

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Oh ffs is that the best you've got

Retards?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

It's Shamsung!

1. Paul 135

No, Samdung.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

It's as witty as sheeple.

1. P. Lee

Beware releasing the Sheeple! (obligatory xkcd reference)

2. PaulR79

I would personally have gone for Samesung if I were inclined to do so. Do I think they copied? Elements of it, yes, but Apple do just the same.

3. ukmountie
      Coat

Samples… do I win?

4. elaar

Generally, if someone I know has a Samsung TV, phone, microwave or anything else, I am oblivious to it. If someone I know has an Apple device, I am made aware of it on a regular basis.

I've never witnessed Samsung users parading their devices (I'm sure there are some though), it's just a *thing*. I don't think they care as much about being different, it's a different ethos.

1. Philip Lewis
        Facepalm

@elaar

You obviously don't know anyone with a Samsung 9000 TV!

2. Trevor Marron
        Joke

quote - Generally, if someone I know has a Samsung TV, phone, microwave or anything else, I am oblivious to it. If someone I know has an Apple device, I am made aware of it on a regular basis.

Question - There are 20 people in a room, one of them has an iPhone 5, how can you tell who it is?

Answer - You don't need to work it out, it won't be long before they tell you!

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

re: "look at how different I am"

You're right, of course - anyone who has the right consumer electronic devices must be super cool and lead a fantastically rewarding life, while those without are deserving of pity and scorn.

2. Mikey
    FAIL

Sheepsung? Oh, come on. You can do better than that... Troll or not, at least put somethought into it!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

cloned sheep.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Downvoted as everyone knows Korea only does fake cloning:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/4554422.stm

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"cloned sheep"

They should be called Dollys...

Everywhere I look these days I see Dollys on their Galaxy S phones, They all think they are being unique and different, but they just all look the same. When my contracts up I'm going to go against the grain of popular culture and buy an iPhone...

1. Anony-mouse
          Trollface

Do what you want, Troll.

You can do whatthefuckever you want, troll. I am already using contractless service (which rocks, BTW) and when shopping for a phone to buy for this service I did look at Apple's cute little i-thingy phones, but their pricing was absurdly outrageous for the features. For the price I paid for my Galaxy Nexus I could have gotten a 3 generation old iPhone 3. An iPhone 4S (newest gen when I was phone shopping earlier this year) was double the cost of the Nexus. And I don't count myself as an Android or Samsung fanboy, but the Nexus gave me the best value for features versus price. So go ahead and take a high hard one up the old poot chute from Apple and the phone companies when you buy your latest i-Gadget on a new contract with a ripoff telco or just confine yourself to just getting screwed by Apple if you want to just buy an iPhone 5 outright.

1. Tom 38

Re: Do what you want, Troll.

So go ahead and take a high hard one up the old poot chute from Apple and the phone companies when you buy your latest i-Gadget on a new contract with a ripoff telco or just confine yourself to just getting screwed by Apple if you want to just buy an iPhone 5 outright.

I don't equate spending a little extra money to get the phone I want to getting fucked in the ass. If that's what you would have had to do to make enough money for the iphone, hey, I'm not judging you.

3. 0_Flybert_0

SIII rocks the house

after 6+ years with a cheap Samsung - Verizon flip phone I didn't even text with .. and needing a better camera than an equally old 5MP Kodak .. and needing a video recorder for an event filled weekend ...

got a Galaxy SIII (Verizon) 2 weeks ago .. this thing is really cool and much more impressive than that old boxy design of Apple's

4. Bernard

is the smartphone market really getting more competitive?

Apple are about as strong as they always were and windows mobile might be good enough to get a few percent more market share than earlier versions (though it could just as easily sink without trace).

On the other hand RIM have imploded which leaves android and ios as the only serious games in town. Meanwhile htc are struggling so badly I might not replace my trusty desire s with a new model even though I love Sense and Samsung have really become the defacto Android smartphone.

That looks like less competition to me.

1. Mark .

Re: is the smartphone market really getting more competitive?

I agree. Also the loss of Symbian, number one OS in 2011, but then ditched by Nokia. So we've gone from Symbian and Android as dominant platforms, with Blackberry and Iphone as less popular alternatives, to Android as the dominant platform and only Iphone as a less popular alternative.

I'm glad that something like Android and not Iphone turned out to be the successful platform, but it's a bit disappointing the lack of choice if the only alternative is Apple. I'm not WP fan, but I hope its share increases to provide some choice and competition!

And yes, it's bizarre that whilst it seemed Android would provide an OS to any company wanting to make phones, in practice we've seen less hardware choice - first Motorola losing share, now HTC.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So samsung managed to eat up HTC's customers by making iphone clones. I guess that deserves congratulations.

1. dajames
      Facepalm

No, not really ...

@AC16:30

So samsung managed to eat up HTC's customers by making iphone clones.

More like: HTC managed to throw away a lot of customer loyalty by no longer supporting removable memory cards and user-replaceable batteries, so Samsung (and other Android vendors) got some extra customers for very little effort.

Pity, I liked my old HTC phone, but the One S I considered replacing it with turned out not to have the features I most wanted.

2. Mahou Saru

Optional

Personally I think HTC let themselves down, with too large a range of phone models which mostly keep missing the mark (omg put in a good camera ffs).

Then they did the deal with the devil instead of innovating/engineering/fighting themselves out of it.

Then the kick in the balls from the cash flow loss.

Dunno if the new strategy will work, but right now when I'm on the tube in TW, I mostly see people using iPhones and Sammys, especially the Note <- not hard to miss xD

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Optional

Good cameras in phones cost real money.

Have a look at the BOM for a Nokia N8 (the last major Symbian smart phone) and see where the money went in producing it. Engineering a smartphone is about trade offs, and HTC made theirs, as did Nokia. The Nokia's have better camera technology installed, always have had and they can do this because Symbian is a very efficient OS and they can save money on the CPU generation required to power the whole thing. Trade-offs and trad-offs.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sheepsung?

Sheep wait in line to have their coats lightened.

Fanboi wait in line to have their wallets lightened.

So the euphemism is closer to Apple than Samsung.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Sheepsung?

You're right, the correct animal euphemism for Samsung should be pigs since they do seem to love to merrily wallow in their own shit.

1. ShadowedOne
        Trollface

That must mean that Apple fanbois are monkeys then, seeing as how they seem to enjoy flinging shit around.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Ah but how can we be sheep and monkeys at the same time? Logic FAIL.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Why, SCIENCE of course!

1. J 3
              Alien

Schrödinger's sheep/monkey (sheenkey? moneep?)

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Good to see so many Apple fanboys hurting. Resorting to childish insults is about the only joy they have left. Still I suppose they are only copying their beloved company - see the Apple website for the response to the court order.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

I was wondering how big Samsung had to get before people started slagging them off the same way we do Apple - and now I know!!

Samsung phones dont chain you to the suppliers infrastructure, so even if the phones werent quite as good, I would still buy one over an Apple.

BTW I dont own a smart phone at all, although my toughphone IS a Samsung, as is my washing machine and one of my TVs.

After trashing Apple in the sales figures again, should they be called Samsmug??

8. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Meh

Fanbois to the left of me,

extremists to the right.

Here I am,

stuck in the middle anew

1. hplasm
      Happy

Shurely-

...Stuck in the middle with ewe...

1. Will Godfrey Silver badge
        Happy

Re: Shurely-

I'll give you that one.

{excuse}

It was Friday and close to beer o'clock when i posted

9. Captain DaFt

Is Samsung going to thank Apple?

After all, Apple's worked hard these past two years, spending millions on lawyers and courts, just to get everyone noticing and talking about Samsung's phones. And in the past two years, my how Samsung's market share has grown!

Sure, Samsung's had to cough up its share for lawyers and court expenses too, but the extra publicity has brought in much, much more cash than has been spent!

Really, the very least Samsung could do is send Apple a bouquet, or maybe a nice fruit basket with a sincere thank-you note.

Oh, BTW Apple, ever heard of the 'Streisand Effect'?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Is Samsung going to thank Apple?

A cheerful, friendly and much-publicised bouquet would be a perfect riposte, especially in the light of Apple's graceless court-mandated "apology" recently, rub it in by having a little more class.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Is Samsung going to thank Apple?

Apple doesn't need a fruit basket, they have plenty of their own. They all work in marketing.

10. evan79
    Thumb Up

The people have spoken

There is a reason why Samsung is number one, people make their own choices on what is best for themselves and the best is Samsung!

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Friday Round Up on the Shamples and Sheeples races.

{ tis beer o'clock over this side o the pond ladies and gents }

Lets get the mudslingers lined up in a co-ordinated fashion, either side of the pile of shattered and broken flip phones, Nokia, Motos, Ericssons etc.

Sheeples on the left please,

Shamples on the right.

(now that we've got the naming convention straight)

Okay --- please load up the vituperative commentary, keep your notes neat (I'll imaging that would be Notes2 on the right there)

Deep breath,

SLING!!!

('scuse us working stiffs, we'll all line up at the bar for a scotch and a beer or three)

12. OrsonX
    Unhappy

Apple or Samsung, I don't care....

....just give me a folding large screen phone already!

13. Anonymous Coward
    Go

Congratulations

Well done Anna and Reg team, mission was accomplished.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Pint

Re: Congratulations

Just what I was thinking.

Those flames really warm the place up. There's been some blood vessels burst in here too.

14. Stuart Halliday
    Angel

Battery power

Oddly what made me decide to buy a Samsung Galaxy SIII rather than a HTC was nothing that Samsung did.

3rd parties made an extended back to fit a larger battery. My phone now has battery power that allows me to use it at full capacity for a full day!

1. Ken Hagan Gold badge

Re: Battery power

"...was nothing that Samsung did."

More like "something that Samsung didn't do." Specifically, they didn't sue the arse off a third-party for manufacturing compatible kit. But yes, that's an excellent reason to choose one hardware vendor over another.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Battery power

Or do what most people do and plug it in when you are at your desk or carry one of those USB power packs that can charge any of your devices.

I'm surprised the standard battery is not man enough anyway - I'm sure some people use them even more than I do but it's been a long time since I was able to deplete a full battery from 7am to 10pm the same day - suppose if you use personal hotspot all the time and have GPS running it would munch through it pretty quickly but I use my phone (what I would consider) a lot and typically I have 20-40% left by bed.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Holy crap, Sammy

Well, I suppose that carpet bombing stylee marketing worked- they've had massive stands in the soulless megamall near work for ages now, with various machines for punters to tinker with, and ads bloody everywhere. That's before we consider the bazillions spent being splattered all over the Olympics- that can't have come cheap.

Anyway, it's good to see someone else making out like bandits, given what wankers Apple have been of late. They should learn from HTC's mistakes and not flood their own market with too many poorly-differentiated models, mind.

(Also, why did my unlocked S3 get its Jellybean after the bloody networks, eh? You bastids :D Mer mer mer!)

16. Anal Leakage

This message has been brought to you by the Chaebol Defense Alliance. Won't you lend a hand?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like