back to article Microsoft: Just swallow this tablet ... the rest will take care of itself

The clearest sign that Windows 8 may have a fighting chance has nothing to do with the software, and everything to do with hardware. Microsoft's hardware, that is. The gods must be crazy. After all, Microsoft has spent decades printing money based on a booming software business. Despite the criticism leveled by the technorati …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Dana W
        Meh

Re: No. I DO like the software.

I've used and installed Seven, "for other people". I kind of liked the beta. I'm sorry the finished product wasn't more like it. But no sale. been there. Done that.

1. Burbage

Are we sure?

It looks very much to me that putting RT on a tablet means they're aiming not so much at the hardware or the software, but as acting as a controlling retail channel. That's where the money is. That and subscription models. If, for comparatively little effort, you can lock in customers to an ecosystem and take a cut of everything they do in it, you can mine the hardware/software dependence without ever having to do anything new. Very much like Apple did with the graphic design community and their frightfully expensive font libraries.

Ten years ago, that would have seemed laughably arrogant, and wouldn't have stood a chance in the retail environment. After the collapse of so many content empires, music stores and the DRM ruckus, expecting people to cede control over their own computers just so they could be more efficiently fleeced would have been as insane an idea as selling "thin clients" to consumers. Or 'push media', for that matter. Back then, computers were tools for enabling creativity and innovation as much as for flogging it. Linux was offering a genuinely open, in all senses, alternative to the proprietary restrictions of monopolists, and a new generation was growing up with computers, unfazed by complexity and jargon, who would engineer innovative solutions, turn data into knowledge and forge a bold, new, meritocratic economy.

It hasn't turned out like that, sadly. Instead, it's turned into a meretricious, ad-spattered, proprietary soup of electronic soma, served up via pointlessly expensive, and mostly useless, devices. Walk through any public space, and you'll see a huddled mass of shuffling humanoids, like an ADHD version of Second Life, tweeting gibberish to the void, waiting for some Shoreditch flack to rediscover the knowledge economy.

Perhaps I'm getting old, but if this is the future, I think I'd rather be dead.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Are we sure?

you tell em grandad

2. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Good hardware with bad software gets returned

The idea that Surface will sell because the hardware is great is silly. As is the idea that Apple stuff because the hardware is great, and in spite of the software. Add to that the idea that Microsoft is great at software (rather than being great at milking a monopoly IBM accidentally handed to them 30 years ago) and it makes for one huge FAIL of an article.

3. P. Lee

It isn't the cloud its familiarity

W8 is there to seed the market with the Pane interface so MS can move into mobile. They won't lose much desktop market because of the W8 interface and once people are familiar with the design, they are more likely to pick up a windows phone, because its obvious that it will work with their computer, right?

MS need/want to get back to "windows is the only option" and that would be hard to do if they themselves introduced yet another interface in the phone market. The last thing MS want is a heterogeneous marketplace as that will suggest that Windows is not the only fruit and Other Things Are Possible. Things like ARM and Android and iOS follow each other into corporate IT and then comes Linux and other things which are Bad For Microsoft.

4. Confuciousmobil
    Linux

I have learned..

From reading all the comments, I have learned that Apple are crap and so are MicroSoft but no one is slanging of Linux?

This must be the year of Linux....

5. The Grump
    Mushroom

A Pox on all your houses...

I'm going back to Win XP again. I don't need aeropeek, and I sure as hell don't need Win RT trying to emulate the Apple monopoly on software. I have had enough on Games for Windows and Steam telling me I can't use the game I bought and paid for, because my Internet connection is down (again).

No more Win games or Steam games. No more games that require an internet connection. And absolutely NO WIN 8 !!! Before long, MS will get the bright idea to lease your computer's OS by the year - your OS will require an internet connection to verify if it has been paid for ! Only the hardware on your computer will belong to you. Get a copy of XP while you can, and turn off auto updates so MS cannot disable it. This time, MS has gone too far !

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Hardly "all your houses"...

What kind of lame retort is "I don't like Windows, so I'm going back to Windows"? If you want to use your hardware and software in the way you want, use hardware and software that gives you that ability and legal right. Microsoft Windows XP certainly isn't part of that equation!

6. VirusType2

The desktop is a dream, I think people just haven't been able to understand how it's used by reading articles, mostly because people review it before using it more than an hour. They talk about it felt to initially transition to it, rather than talking about how they feel NOW.

Windows 8 Pro is many, many times better than Windows 7, which I'll admit was almost acceptable. Windows RT on the other hand is consumer grade weakness, but so are tablets at this point. Gotta figure people that hate Windows 8 Pro haven't tried it. Metro is kinda neat to play around with, but there isn't any good software yet.

I've never been interested in a tablet or smartphone before until Surface Pro was announced. It's a shame they couldn't launch it at the same time as Windows 8 RT. And it's a shame with the names of these things, probably causing confusion. 8 Pro is a full computer and 8 RT is so far, an experiment.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like