Feeds

back to article Young Frenchwoman desperate for fat pipe tumbles out of window

A 25-year-old French woman's search for a Wi-Fi signal ended rather badly when she fell out of a first floor window, suffering "multiple fractures". The network-needy numpty was apparently sitting last Friday on a windowsill in her flat in Menton, a coastal town in southeastern France, with her laptop extended into the void "at …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
TRT
Silver badge

Re: What happened to the laptop?

her lap or the machine?

Anonymous Coward

War-diving?

Anonymous Coward

You're not proposing driving while fiddling with your laptop.

ZOMG... there's not a law!?

There ought to be a law!!!

Anonymous Coward

And the guy across the street...

I can see the guys across the street, moving the access point back further and further into the apartment.

"Hey, let's see how far out the window she'll go!"

Silver badge
Coat

Re: And the guy across the street...

"Move the lead sheeting closer to the window and get the camera ready ..."

Coffee/keyboard

Re: And the guy across the street...

Love it!

Coat

Is that a picture of her wearing the Road Kill T-shirt?

Silver badge
Joke

Yes, yes, all very well.

But was she good looking? This is all that matters when it comes to IT and girls. Especially on a Friday.

Anonymous Coward

Defenestration

Installing Linux on a Windows laptop?

Pirate

Uh...

Do the French build houses with a first floor that's 30 feet high? Why would she need a trip to the hospital after falling out of a first floor window?

Headmaster

Re: Uh...

You must be a Merkin. Over here the first floor is the one on top of the ground floor.

Silver badge
Holmes

I was momentarily confused as well, until I remembered you use zero-based numbering for floors over there.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Merkin?

Well, I'm a Brit, and it has confused me all my life.

Anonymous Coward

Oooooh. Zero-based counting!

Silver badge

Well the floor would be about 2.5 to 3 meters off the ground, and the window maybe another 1.5 meters above the floor. Not quite 30 feet but certainly enough for a fall to cause injury.

Many countries call the first floor the "ground floor," then second floor is called the first floor. I can't remember if this is true in France.

Silver badge
Thumb Up

Many countries call the first floor the "ground floor," then second floor is called the first floor. I can't remember if this is true in France.

It is. Ground floor is "premiere", ie 1st.

Silver badge
Meh

In France, UK, and any other country I've been to, the ground floor is called the ground floor, and the first floor is called the first floor. Why on earth would you call the first floor the ground floor? The ground floor is the one at ground level.

Thumb Down

No its not. My flat in France is on the "Rez de chaussee". The next floor up is clearly marked '1' in the lift.

Holmes

Well as a "Merican" I can see the use for calling it a ground floor. I still feel that in number it should be the first floor. When I count apples I do not start with zero apples because at the time I do in fact posses one. Therefore if you have a floor you would begin with 1. Zero floors would be the absence of a floor.

Pirate

OK, thanks for the replies. I am a Merkin, and am slightly less culturally ignorant now. I must tell the Missus.

Facepalm

Allo... Allo..

Wee wee she said, I lit the candle with the handle on the gateau at the chateau then came home to check on the painting of the Fallen Madonna with the Big Boobies by Van Klomp, which I keep in in a long knackwurst sausage. While attempting to signal the resistance I fell of the window sill and landed on General Von Klinkerhoffen's little tank! Oh where is Rene when you need him!

Silver badge
Linux

Re: Allo... Allo..

Gruber had the little tank, but, Bravo!

Bronze badge
Trollface

The other first

When are you Brits going to stop calling the second floor a "first floor"? "First above the ground" makes it, from any rational point of view, the second floor. I can see the French doing it to preserve quirky ancient cultures and all that, but this is a bleeding edge, high tech, serious online publication here. Even computer nerds know that an element at index zero is the first element, not the first after the zeroth.

Anonymous Coward

Re: The other first

Typical of a country that cant spell basic English words correctly.

We start with the descriptive "Ground" floor usually meaning street level. each floor above that is counted. Is it really that hard to understand?

The American way is not universally right.... or accepted.. get over yourselves...

Anonymous Coward

In the traditional British hovel there is no floor at ground level, merely compacted earth. The "first floor" is the one over your head.

Anonymous Coward

Re: The American way

But there are a hell of a lot more of us than there are of you, so by rule of popularity, we are correct. Just because you were the first doesn't mean you are right, get over yourselves.

Silver badge

Some of us have compacted straw and horsehair. I can recommend it, especially in winter.

Facepalm

Isn't something equally confusing done with ships and decks?

<---- bringing maritime terminology into such a debate can ensure it runs for years and years

Obviously when one counts floors one begins with zero for the ground floor, first floor above ground is one, first below ground is minus one. If one were to be writing lift (or "elevator") management software this is how one would number the floors; some lifts I've used even use this numbering scheme on the buttons for humans to choose the required destination level (-2,-1,0,1,2 etc).

Anonymous Coward

> I can see the French doing it to preserve quirky ancient cultures and all that

In France we often call the *second* floor, first floor. Below that there is the entresol (but not in every building), and below the entresol de rez de chausée, or ground floor. Below the ground floor one may have one or more sous-sols (basement, underground floors), which sort of makes it handy to have a 0 point in the scale. How do you cope with that in L'Amérique?

Silver badge
Flame

No, the first floor above the ground is the first floor. The second floor is the second above the ground. How could it be any other way?

Remember the almighty IBM would number installation diskettes 0 (or rather no number at all), then 1, then 2, etc.

I'm not convinced ALL USians start at one. I had a discussion with a colleague from the US about this and he told me some buildings there (Baltimore) had a ground or zero floor.

Can any other USians confirm this?

Silver badge

Not only do we number from zero, *we* know that the one after the 12th floor isn't the 14th...

i downvoted you coz i'm a brit. but if it's a numbers game you win hands down. just got back from china and in the four cities i visited all their lifts showed ground as 1.

But i believe their children are born at 1 as well so what we would call their first birthday is actually their second.

Foreigners, go figure.

Anonymous Coward

I thought the Indians in Silicon Valley were trying to teach you Real English, there's plenty more of them at home, and it is their second official language, especially if they don''t speak Hindi .... ;)

Also, aren't "a hell of a lot of you" native Spanish speakers by now? ;)

Anonymous Coward

Even better. In a boat the floor is not the floor, that is the sole. There are numerous floors and each one is attached to the keel, and holds a pair of frames. The sole may rest on the floors but it doesn't have to. And to make it even more fun, the ceiling is the inner layer of planking over the frames, so that when the boat rolls you can sit on the ceiling.

So currently I am building a boat with ten floors and no ceiling.

Anonymous Coward

This coming from somebody in a country where they had a problem understanding the difference between imperial and metric measurements and lost a space probe as a result...

http://articles.cnn.com/1999-09-30/tech/9909_30_mars.metric.02_1_climate-orbiter-spacecraft-team-metric-system?_s=PM:TECH

Anonymous Coward

Ideal recuperation project

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cantenna

Get yourself some Pringles, ma cherie

Bronze badge
Facepalm

I wonder if the hospital had a better wifi signal

Pint

So Confused

The word "theft" didn't appear in the article. The word "apartment" did. It would be cuckoo-bananas to assume her own WiFi router wasn't INSIDE her apartment, so why was she moving her laptop FARTHER AWAY from it in order to get a better signal?

Maybe I'd understand better if I didn't drink so much.

Anonymous Coward

Re: So Confused

France has almost national Wifi coverage. Subscription based.

Anonymous Coward

Maybe if you had read the original article, and its comments section, you would have learned that:

"[....] En effet, il me semble que menton est doté d'un système wifi "libre" mais payant dont le signal est parfois souvent difficilement accessible de l'intérieur. [....] "

Anonymous Coward

Interesting, but it seemed to be somewhat less than fully implemented when I was there 1 year ago?

Occasional building-based subsription WiFi boxes..... usually in odd locations and bad signal. But otherwise most people using 3G dongles at stupid data costs, which is why the students are normally extremely keen to hang out at cafes with free wifi! Actually come to think of it so were many adults. Some were brazenly using the tables outside the cafe but within range of the AP... without buying anything :P

Silver badge
Pint

Our old Acer laptop has "two high performance Planer-F antennas"

Said so right on one of the features decals. Works great. From the 12-floor of a Hong Kong hotel we could get dozens of open access points out there, amongst the city lights. No falling out required.

Coat

Maybe she thought she'd get a better signal if she was properly earthed

Bronze badge

First Parkour now this.

The French eh - anything for a kick.

Logging WIFI access points while falling, parachuting or wing suit flying.

Sod all that skimming the mountain at 120mph how many access points could you get at the time and can you update your facebook while on the way?

shoot fellers, I done thought the story was gonna go in another direction, seein' how 'pipe' is a word that

also means (telephone rings in the background) hold it, boys, I better see who that is...

false logic

I'd agree the 'Merkin system of numbering floors was more logical if it actually was. However, if we are counting the number of floors in a house, and only that, then the first floor is the basement.

Many US houses have basements that include pool rooms, gyms, and a room for the grown-up son. So these count as 'floors' in every sense. And if we discount a level because it is below ground, then it's every bit as logical (or illogical) not to count the floor at ground level either.

This topic is closed for new posts.