back to article State of Minnesota bans free online education

Web-based education startup Coursera offers university-level courses "for anyone to take, for free" – anyone, that is, except residents of the US state of Minnesota, where free online education has been declared illegal. The Chronicle of Higher Education reports that the Minnesota Office of Higher Education has told Coursera …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Velv
    Joke

They could always get a partner in another country to offer the courses to Minnesota residents.

DEAR RESIDENT OF MIMASOTA

I AM KING JOFFEY JAFUR OF NIGERIA AND THROUGH THE GREAT WEALTH OF MY GLORIOUS COUNTRY I AM ABKE TO OFFER FREE COURSES OF EDUCATION TO MY GREAT RELATIVES IN THE COUNTRY OF MINNESOTA.

TO OFFER THESE FREE COURSES I NEED YOUR ASSISTANCE TO SECURE THE LICENCE FROM MIMASOTA GOVERNMENT BY SENDING ME MONEY TO COVER THE NECESSARY REGISTRATION FEES.....

ooops, maybe the law isn't entirely daft, especially if Minnesota is following the spirit of the law instead of the letter

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Isn't this states top claim to fame something about...

Now it's been a while but these proud residents claim to have the largest ball of twine anywhere in the 50 states... at least that's what the song says :)

3. JaitcH
    Go

El Reg does it again!

Here's the new statement from Larry Pogemiller, director of the Minnesota Office of Higher Education:

Obviously, our office encourages lifelong learning and wants Minnesotans to take advantage of educational materials available on the Internet, particularly if they’re free. No Minnesotan should hesitate to take advantage of free, online offerings from Coursera.

1. Oninoshiko
      Devil

Re: El Reg does it again!

So Mr. Pogemiller is encouraging Minnesotans to violate Coursera's TOS?

4. unitron

Easy solution

They should just add some boilerplate to the website that says it's offered in Minnesota for entertainment purposes only.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What programming language will be used?

Processing, which is a dialect of Java that is one of the most popular programming languages among creative programmers.

--20 years in the field and I'd never heard of it...

6. Rambler88
    Headmaster

Strange. Probably is just a garden-variety bureaucratic glitch that's been journalized out of proportion. This really isn't the way things typically work here in Minnesota--if something like this crops up, they often do sort it out pretty quickly, as they seem in fact to be doing with this. (And as they did with the hair-braiding licenses.)

There are exceptions, of course. Bureaucratic insanity that favored established healthcare, pre-college education, or social welfare interests would probably be untouchable. But incredible as it sounds, even the people who collect taxes here are a pleasure to deal with.

I'm not just defending my home state, by the way. I moved here from New York f-----g City, my hometown, ten years ago.

Geography lesson for Europeans: The USA consists of 50 states, and state laws and general legal environments vary widely. The states have a status somewhere between that of German Länder and EU member states. There is a solid correlation between the extremes of regulatory insanity and Democratic party rule. The corruptibility of state legislatures is an axiom of American politics, but the degree of corruptibility varies widely.

7. wayne 8
    WTF?

Minnesota, home of non-free on line Capella Uni

Just saying, maybe a coincidence, yeah, coinkydink for sure.

http://www.capella.edu

Capella University

Capella Tower

225 South 6th Street, 9th Floor

Minneapolis, MN 55402

BA, Accounting

Total program:

180 quarter credits

Tuition Per:

1000-2000 Level Credit: $290

3000-4000 Level Credit: $350

8. crediblywitless

Gopher, revisited?

Slightly spookily, UMinn's attempt to collect licensing fees for Gopher helped to give us WWW. So, really, is Minnesota just driving technological development in the same way here?

9. InnerCynic
    Mushroom

Never fails

Leave it to the State, any state, to smother anything that threatens it's monopoly on education. To hell with them. I say move your operations outside of the country and tell them to get stuffed.

10. Nameless Faceless Computer User

This is a throw-back to laws which made it illegal for slaves to learn to read. Now they're coming for the rest of us. What's next? Book burnings?

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like