Feeds

back to article Pints all round as Register Special Projects hacks hack off feet

It's official: El Reg's Special Projects Bureau will henceforth be operating almost exclusively in SI units. Yup, it's pints all round today as our imperial versus metric poll found readers overwhelmingly in favour of permanently chopping off feet and consigning quarts and ounces to the dustbin of history. No less than 1,773 of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Bronze badge

baffling inches

Anonymous Coward, is your Nordic SO unfamiliar with a unit called tomme, tommu, tum, or tuuma, depending upon the particular mother tongue? Call the inch a thumb, and it might make things clearer.

Londen Bus

A distinct lack of London Busses if you ask me..

Silver badge
Headmaster

Busses?

Don't worry laddie/lassie, you're not the only one in class to get that wrong.

Saw it spelled that way on a road sign near my home. How I laughed.

It's buses, by the way.

Facepalm

Re: Busses?

Are you sure he wasnt looking for a kiss from a London lass?

Silver badge
Coat

Re: Londen Bus

Just wait a little longer, and there'll be three at once.

Silver badge
Pint

Pints!

I trust we will be drinking U.K. 20oz pints and not the paltry U.S. 16oz 'pints'.

I'll drink to it but only if . . .

Pint

Re: Pints!

Those will be proper 568ml pints.

Fluid ounces are one of those measurements I never have and never will understand (and I'm no whippersnapper).

Silver badge
Pint

Actually, Elmer ... (was: Pints!)

The liquid measure "pint" here in the US is 16oz, true. Thankfully, however, beer comes in 22oz bottles.. Who is paltry now? Regardless, as long as there is another homebrew in the fridge, who cares about the size of the transport?

This round is on me :-)

Pint

Re: Actually, Elmer ... (was: Pints!)

Yes, and the 22 oz is a 'bomber'. So, bomber > pint.

Now, how about the forty? That's fine livin' right there. Grip & sip.

Re: Pints!

eh? Fluid ounces are a doddle - a fluid ounce is the volume of one ounce of water at room temperature. Pity they're not a lot use...too small for beer, too large for cooking.

Silver badge
Pint

@Not_The_Droids (was: Re: Actually, Elmer ... (was: Pints!))

I have never seen anything that I would consider "beer" in a 40oz bottle. I've never heard the 22oz called "a bomber", either, but I have hear it refereed to as a "long pint". What side of the Sierra Nevada[1] are you on?

[1] Mountain range, not beer.

Bronze badge
Pint

Re: Actually, Elmer ... (was: Pints!)

You can only get fortys in certain states. Like go to Florida and ask for a Forty. You'll get a quart, or a 32 ounce bottle for those of you who are US unit challenged. True 40 oz bottles are illegal here.

FL Statutes Title XXXIV

ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES AND TOBACCO

Chapter 563 - "BEER"

Sub-Chapter 6

Section 6

All malt beverages packaged in individual containers sold or offered for sale by vendors at retail in this state shall be in individual containers containing no more than 32 ounces of such malt beverages; provided, however, that nothing contained in this section shall affect malt beverages packaged in bulk or in kegs or in barrels or in any individual container containing 1 gallon or more of such malt beverage regardless of individual container type.

However, we call those 32 Oz. bottles "fortys" colloquially for some unknown reason because we're "spercial" (read: dumb as fucking rocks) like that, but its 8 ounces short. And given how stupid alot of people are here, they probably think a quart is 40 ounces.

Its a damn shame the nearest place Ive ever seen a forty ounce to here was in Tennessee, where I bought one and proceeded to drink it in a field by a Wal-Mart while on my way back to Fort Sam Houston from Fort Campbell. Come to think of it we had them in Texas too.

I dunno if we had them in Georgia because when I lived there we lived in a formerly dry county (it isn't anymore, the Navy skewed voting toward allowing drinking) by the Submarine Base, and then later moved across the State Line to Florida before my father left the Navy. Nobody bought booze in Georgia anyway, everyone just drove to Florida, taxes were lower (at the time anyway, that probably isn't true anymore) and you could buy booze on Sunday, after 9 AM anyway.

So here's a beer, as long as it isn't 40 ounces. I don't need my door getting kicked in.

Silver badge
Pint

Didn't BMW try this once...

...with tyre sizes?

Didn't work... So here we still are with width (mm) profile (%age) rim diameter (inches).

And long may it continue!

Re: Didn't BMW try this once...

And Austin-Rover, probably some of the french manufacturers too at the time, the reason the switch never stuck was simply cost, when metric tyres are twice the price of the nearest imperial size, which would you go for?

You buy the imperial wheels from the previous model or some aftermarket alloys that fit the car in question and easily cover the price difference.

Thumb Up

I think you have to blame the French, and Michelin in particular, for this piece of nonsense. They persuaded car makers to fit wheels with metric diameters to various vehicles, Montegos and Saabs as well as BMWs, and thus tied you buying replacement tyres from Michelin. Expensive they were too. I think the car manufacturers got the message from angry customers and dropped the idea tout de suite as they say.

MJI
Silver badge

Normal tyres + aftermarket wheels cheaper than metric tyres

Silver badge
Unhappy

I miss the ounce...

Having grown up in Germany I'm metric through and through, but it's god-awful for cooking - grams is useless for anything but salt and spices, and kilos anything but potatoes.

I tried to lobby for a new ounce, being exactly 25g and having 20 to the new pound of exactly 0.5kg, but it never caught on :-(

Thumb Up

Re: I miss the ounce...

Great idea.

Add 25mm to the new inch, 10 new inches to the new foot and 4 new feet to the new yard of exactly 1 metre.

Silver badge

Yeah, funny how something worked on for more than a thousand years and tested on ordinary people doing ordinary things every day of the lives turns out to actually work quite well. Just luck I guess.

Trollface

In Dutch shops, it's quite common to order by the ounce (100g) or pound (500g). Maybe blighty should slowly change the value of miles, pints and stone (wtf kind of unit is that???) so that in 50 years a metric transition can be made easily.

Happy

Same in Italy. Un etto is 100 grams and is used in grocers where we would use 4 oz or quarter of a pound. And even the French often use un livre which is a direct translation of one pound as a way of ordering 500 g or half a kilo.

Silver badge

>and kilos anything but potatoes.

That explains a lot of German cuisine then

Silver badge

Re: Robert Long 1

"Yeah, funny how something worked on for more than a thousand years and tested on ordinary people doing ordinary things every day of the lives turns out to actually work quite well. Just luck I guess."

For varying definitions of "worked"? Almost every current imperial unit has had several different definitions over the period of time you suggest, many of them concurrent, for example. Fortunately the SI era brought some stability to the inch as it has has, since the early-mid 20th century, been defined in terms of SI units. A number of units of volume and weight are still different on either side of the Atlantic.

Silver badge

31.623 g. would be a much better amount for an ounce. Because then, there would be exactly the same number of grams in an ounce as there were ounces in a kilo.

Bronze badge

But, but

There is an El Reg unit guide. As above, jubs and wales and so on. So why not go the whole hog?

Stop

Re: But, but

Is that an African or a European hog?

Silver badge

Re: But, but

So why not go the whole hog?

As opposed to just the hog's head?

Silver badge

Squeeze hard

> consigning quarts ... to the dustbin

Or even putting them into a pint pot

Long live imperialist dogma!

What we actually need is not to try to fight but to embrace metrication and imperialism. In future averything should be 'ant' based with 100 ants to the foot, 10000 ants to the pound, 10^6 ants to the elephant ... The metric ant solves the problem ...

Boffin

sliding how fast?

Aircraft altitudes, meanwhile, are commonly given in feet, as any pilot will tell you. Sure, there's a slow slide towards metres...

That slide is only half-slow (or half-fast if you will). My estimate is about two score furlongs per fortnight.

Anonymous Coward

Having first converted to decimal currency in 1966, metrication in Australia took place between 1970 and 1988:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metrication_in_Australia

It was not at all painful, and we all managed to adjust.

If we can do it, I suspect that anyone can.

All it requires is the desire to do so.

Silver badge

Presumably because reducing the size of a pint of Australian "beer" is a benefit.

"They don't spell it XXXX out of ignorance Lewis"

Bronze badge

We don't all drink XXXX.

Good pubs still sell good beer in proper pints (alongside the mega-swill available in some local measurement e.g. schooner).

Coat

There's an opportunity here

Don't want to convert pints to half-litres? Then convert to .6 litres.

We'd get a little more and we could call them "points" instead of "pints."

Bronze badge
Joke

Re: There's an opportunity here

The Irish already ask for "a point o' the black stuff".

Re: There's an opportunity here

Would those be metric pints by any chance?

Joke

Wood yard?

Don't you mean an 8km drive to the wood 0.9144m?

(Written by Reg staff) Bronze badge

Re: Wood yard?

Indeed. The sun was way over the 0.9144marm by the time I wrote that, so I was already on my third pint.

Silver badge
Pint

Re: Wood yard?

"0.9144marm"?

Is that what you lot call our elementary school "0.9144Mduty" in Primary School?

Have a fourth, on me ;-)

Silver badge
Meh

Pah!

I still (and will continue to) use whatever measurement system is appropriate for the job. I got a new kitchen sink today, to my surprise it turned out to be exactly 1 broken stick long. Wasn't that convenient?

Silver badge

Aircraft altitude is frequently quoted in feet

But pressure is quoted in either inches of mercury or millibars. Hence the following radio exchange between a US aircraft and UK air traffic control:

AT: Descend to altitude 10,000 feet on a QNH of 1015

AC: Can you give me that in inches

AT: Certainly, descend to an altitude of 120,000 inches on a QNH of 1015

Silver badge

Re: Aircraft altitude is frequently quoted in feet

(QNH is the air pressure at sea level for those not in the know)

Coat

I resemble...

... having to work out fuel consumption in Miles per Litre. It always leaves nasty decimal places.

Bronze badge

lessons from Pastor Niemöller

First they came for the ell,

and I didn’t speak out because I wasn’t a seamster.

Then they came for the rood,

and I didn’t speak out because I wasn’t a surveyor.

Then they came for the scruple,

and I didn’t speak out because I wasn’t an apothecary.

Then they came for the pint,

and there was no one left to draw one for me.

Silver badge
Pint

Objection!

I uphold my objection to the pint.

You are celebrating with this when you could instead party like that!

I say the choice has not been outlined properly. And don't get me started on the temperature of said drinks.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.