back to article Anonymous turns on 'one man Julian Assange show' Wikileaks

Members of hacker collective Anonymous have stopped supporting Wikileaks after the site put up a paywall, saying that Wikileaks is more bothered about Julian Assange™ than getting information to the public. In a statement on Pastebin, linked through from Anonymous Twitter account AnonymousIRC, the group said Wikileaks had …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Local G
          Meh

"A Cat May Look Upon A King, but Not at El Reg"

Here's a memento of happier days. When we all got along and the housing bubble was the place the astronauts were going to live in on Mars.

http://wikileaks.org/wiki/A_Cat_May_Look_Upon_a_King,_but_Not_at_Gitmo

1. Matt Bryant Silver badge
            FAIL

Re: "A Cat May Look Upon A King, but Not at El Reg"

Gosh, the weren't allowed to read periodicals! What vile and degrading torture! And not allowed to look at Islamist material that might have given them comfort? Depraved! Next you'll be telling us they were forced to eat their Gazpacho soup lukewarm and had to suffer sleeping on seven mattresses with a pea underneath!

1. Local G
              Unhappy

Re: "A Cat May Look Upon A King, but Not at El Reg"

Have you ever tasted lukewarm gazpacho?

I didn't think so.

3. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Matt Bryant is more bothered about Julian Assange

"... your often rabid ranting," said Matt "Calm and Reasonable" Bryant.

1. Turtle

Tacitly Or, Perhaps, Unintentionally And Implicitly

As if it matters to anyone other than Anonymous itself if they support Assange or not.

And they are tacitly (or, more realistically, unintentionally and implicitly) owning up to their stupidity and naivety by having taken so long to recognize the obvious.

2. Bob Hoskins
    Facepalm

The blind leading the blind

Anonymous are no better than Assange i.e. a bad running joke.

3. Peter C.

They can both go to Hell !

They are both scumbag entities IMO.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Quote (not about arabs) but more about the collective egos of petty hackers and hacking groups

T.E. Lawrence- So long as the Arabs fight tribe against tribe, so long will they be a little people, a silly people - greedy, barbarous, and cruel

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Insignificant

Wikileaks and Assange are insignificant other than for media filler.

6. iliosellas

Julian Assange for the Nobel prize for freedom of the press:

Please help promote this link wherever you can; if you believe in freedom of expression and freedom of the press.

Julian Assange for the Nobel prize for freedom of the press:

www.avaaz.org/en/petition/Julian_Assange_for_Nobel_prize_Freedom_of_the_Press/

Lets see how "Noble" the Norwegians and their righteous Swede neighbors are or claim to be, since they offered Obama the Nobel peace prize!

1. Boris S.

Re: Julian Assange for the Nobel prize for freedom of the press:

Shirley you jest. Nominate him for ARSE of the year and he might win.

7. Local G
    Big Brother

Mission Control: "We have separation."

(later in room 101)

Anonymous Smith: "Do it to Julian! Do it to Julian! Not me! Julian! I don't care what you do to him. Tear his face off, strip him to the bones. Not me! Julian! Not me!"

8. Henry Wertz 1 Gold badge

Make it optional?

Why don't they take the middle ground, have the page that asks for donations, BUT put a close button on it? I must agree, after getting these leaks with the promise of making these leaks available to all, putting them behind a paywall after that is greasy. But I think soliciting donations is not.

9. Mark Allread
    Facepalm

Some hypocrisy?

I love how *anonymous* are now saying that the government has "secrets [and] information we strongly believe the public has a right to know", yet whilst refusing to even say who they are..

Anonymous and their teenage morals and understanding.. more hilarious every day.

1. Sir Runcible Spoon

Re: Some hypocrisy?

I think I can stretch my grey matter to understand that these anons don't have the same kind of resources of say, a government - so keeping your identity a secret is their primary weapon.

After all, a secret that my government is keeping from me could have a large impact on me one way or the other, but the name of some hacker in his bedroom is of little relevance.

1. Mark Allread

Re: Some hypocrisy?

Still secrets, for different reasons. This idea that everything a goverment does needs to be or ought to be public knowledge is so fundamentally flawed and naive that I can only assume that the people behind anonymous are kiddies.

Also, I imagine Assange now wishes he could put a few secrets back in the bag... What goes around..

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You go on believing what you will.

So, you think all anon's are tech-illiterate, basement-dwelling, script-running kiddies do you?

Yep, you go on thinking that. Suits me fine.

I also must disagree with my fellow Anon earlier - Assange is a fool and we need to distance ourselves from him, and from Wikileaks too if it continues to jump on the shovel every time he yells "shit".

As for those of you who think that our protests against "a democratically elected government" are pointless, because we have a fair and free electoral system by which to effect change; you need to go and take a closer look at lobbying and corpoate vote rigging in the US and how most parties in the EU and over in the UK are moving towards a common central ground politically. For example have a look to see if its possible to elect a party in the UK that won't increase surveillance on the British public, increase taxation on big business (or merely collect the tax they already owe) or reduce the terror-threat alert level. These governments no longer represent you, but money and corporate power - That's why we fight.

To believe that simple voting will change government and policy in the modern era is to show an incredible naivety and a fundamental lack of understanding of today's politics. Our protests draw attention to these things.

1. Matt Bryant Silver badge
      FAIL

Re: You go on believing what you will.

"..... To believe that simple screaming, whining tantrums will change government and policy in the modern era is to show an incredible naivety and a fundamental lack of understanding of today's politics. Our protests draw attention to our complete lack of a collective clue." There, fixed it for you.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Now it's time to end the media hype

Instead of giving Assange and Wikileaks underserved media attention for every little tanturm, let's move on to the real news.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like