Feeds

back to article WoW cities wiped out by 'exploit'

World of Warcraft players in Europe experienced an unpleasant Sunday afternoon, after an "exploit" resulted in the death of every character in several cities. Within hours of the incident, the game's publisher Blizzard issued a statement declaring it an “exploit” that has “has ... been hotfixed, so it should not be repeatable”, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Silver badge
Mushroom

A Wizard did it

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AWizardDidIt

Anonymous Coward

Excellent!

Brings new meaning to "nuker" and raises the bar for damage-dealing eliteness.

Mushroom

If I recall...

There were two legendary weapons: a mace "The Unstoppable Force", and a shield "The Immovable Object". I think two players must have been duelling with them and were not aware of the potential for physics.

Gold badge

Re: If I recall...

Wasn't exactly that done in a recent film? Made quite a mess.......

Silver badge
Pint

"There were two legendary weapons: a mace "The Unstoppable Force", and a shield "The Immovable Object"."

By very definition, one of those items isn't what it says it is...

Pint

Re: a mace "The Unstoppable Force", and a shield "The Immovable Object"

Kind of Samurai Jack meets Scotsman on a rope bridge?

Bronze badge

"By very definition, one of those items isn't what it says it is..."

Not necessarily. Rather than being stopped, the force could be redirected... say into the populace of a large virtual city.

Silver badge
Trollface

Bring out your dead!

For some inexplicable reason I find this hilarious!

This could be the end of the world...

of Warcraft!!

Thumb Up

Re: This could be the end of the world...

Took far too many comments for this reference. I'm glad too see that I wasn't the only one who thought this the moment they saw the article.

It must be

Sword of a Thousand Truths!

Re: It must be

... on a 1Gb USB stick...

Bronze badge
Thumb Up

spooky

There is something really post apocalyptic about that picture.

Anonymous Coward

Re: spooky

Oh, I thought this was a story about climate change.

Re: spooky

is that because it was after an apocalypse ?

Bronze badge

trauma

I can imagine this would be quite traumatising for some of the deeper entrenched nerds.

Silver badge

It's crashing terrible!

Oh the simulated humanity!

Bronze badge

The word is

That someone found a way to get Martin Thunder ( http://www.wowwiki.com/Martin_Thunder ) on their character and used that to create the carnage.

@cave dweller

They were epic, not legendary. Quite fun though.

@mark 63, not really, it's not like it's a long way to run from the graveyard. Death in WoW, especially in PvP has next to no drawbacks, aside from a couple of minutes running back to your body.

Silver badge
Happy

Re: The word is

"That someone found a way to get Martin Thunder....." Nasty! And used it to wipe out Horde only? AAAAAHAHAHAHAAHAHA!

The chat amongst in some forums is that this was a gold-farming exploit (mob deaths don't get reported so the farmers could run scripts to get a party of bots into dungeons, type one command to kill everything in the dungeon including the bosses, loot them, then repeat) that got spread around a bit oo much, and some skiddie used the script to go on a God-like PVPfest. I'm sure the famers will not be too happy, but if it brings a farming exploit to the admins' attention then that's good.

Huh. Definitely more exploity than the Geddon AH bombing or the ZG plague that occurred way way back when I was active; I was sorta hoping for "creative loopholes in game mechanics" more than "abusing a GameMaster-only weapon".

Happy

Also been speculated that some debugging commands were left accessible. It was apparently the same person jumping to server to server doing it. Either way, I think it was pretty funny.

Silver badge

Nah, as far as I know it's a script and not a weapon.

Martin Thunder, the actual item, was nerfed so it instantly kills YOU instead of the old use, where it hard a targetable insta-kill AOE.

Silver badge

So how much XP did the attacker get for that?

Happy

It's the Torgai Foothills area, clearly

They were all going to hand over some gold...

Anonymous Coward

BRING OUT YA DEAD!

*bong*

BRING OUT YA DEAD!

Joke

HOW MUCH?

Silver badge

I think it's a pretty funny exploit. Remember the plague bug that ended up everyone getting infected? This sort of thing is memorable and can be folded into the lore of the game.

Silver badge
Mushroom

Obviously....

..... the Orcs have been enhancing uranium beyond the level required for civillian nuke facilities and in breach of the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty, and crossed Arthas's red line.....

Mushroom

Looks like Richard struck again!

Excitement abounds

I almost can't wait

Relax, I don't want your baby

I already ate

Though I do tend to generally kill

Kill things that don't fight back

I see this village

What does it hold?

What shall I butcher them with

Fire or cold?

Running from me sure you'd think

'He's a pathological bloodthirsty homicidal maniac!'

I'd kill kittens and puppies and bunnies

I'd maim toddlers and teens and then more

You see a wife? I see a widow

But what then?

Can't you see?

I'd kill four!

I want to incinerate and decapitate

I want to melt

Want to melt some faces

Watching the peasants...what do they call it?

Ahh...grieve!

I suppose that being undead there's not much to life

A soul is needed for loving...feeling...

How does this all not make me...what's that word again?

Heave!

You've nowhere to hide

Nowhere to run

Your village will burn like the heart of the sun!

With infinite glee

It's going to be me

That slaughters the world!

How could I glare into these eyes

And then not stab them?

How could I stare at their loss

And then not laugh?

I'd cut him in half

Then I'd graft

His head back onto his shoulders

Or after I'd lop it

I'd make a puppet

On top of a staff!

I am a lord that is sometimes bored

Have some urges and need to fulfill them

After my mayhem I simply don't...what's the word?

Care!

The stench in the air

The smell of the gore

The carnage far greater than any war

My legacy

Death becomes...me!

I'll slaughter the world

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcbazH6aE2g

That's quite funny,

must be a reg key on a server somewhere...

HKLM/Software/wow/everybodydead=1

Bronze badge
Thumb Up

Dead pixels.........time to buy a new monitor

That's a lot of bodies.

This post has been deleted by its author

Thumb Up

Only one player remains...

... he says "DING" :)

Anonymous Coward

It was...

...Chuck Norris

Jop

Interesting

Hope this was done as a challenge rather than someone talented wasting those skills just on a game.

If it was something simple like directly editing ram/memory to increase the power of a spell/weapon then not so technical, although I would have thought Blizzard would have had some protection against that and dll injections stuff.

If they found an exploit that gave them some actual control over the server rather than a local hack, then kudos!

Only played the beta of WoW, recognised it as digital heroin and got out quick.

Holmes

Re: Interesting

I did some "digging" (I looked at a forum), it appears that it was an exposed GM/Debugging tool that instantly killed people/NPCs in the area. It wasn't any normal interaction as combat logs were saying "You died" with no damage taken or indication what ability killed you.

lol

i haven't logged in since MOP came out, tried to the other day and realised my account was out of credit. thought about spending some money to top it up, then a bit more to download the latest expansion and then thought "what's the fucking point?".

Mushroom

Surveillance society!

Ok, so someone loaded Scorpion Stare into the CCTV and then broadcast Power Word, Kill over the PA. Tech and magic just don't mix.

Facepalm

This reminds me of exploits in online games when I used to write them...

In F.E.A.R MP I basically copied some code that was called when you were in a car and hit someone, it sent an event to the server like PLAYER_HIT(player_id, damage) I put the damage to 10000 and called it in a loop for everyone I could trace a ray to and hit from my current location, then run it every tick...

That had the effect of everyone who is in view of your character dying the second the come round the corner...

Maybe this is something similar? I know the anit-cheat in WoW is meant to be good but it can't be perfect and I be there must be some holes like this? Obviously FEAR was badly written in a way that let clients tell the server what had just happened, not the other way around, but there must be some?

Silver badge
Trollface

Anyone who has looked at DayZ lately knows the drill.

Silver badge
Coat

Silly Question...

Ok, I don't play WoW or any online games.

I was kind of curious... suppose you were in the city and you died from this exploit? (Ok your character died)

What happens to all of that online booty you bought or obtained from playing? Is it now lost?

Could this 'exploit' have been caused by WoW to help boost their numbers as people go out and spend more money on stuff to get an advantage over other players?

Just saying. Mines the jacket of invulnerability .

Bronze badge

Re: Silly Question...

Nothing, you don't lose experience, gold or even get repair costs (beyond those you'd get for being in any fight and not dying) when you PvP in WoW.

All you need to do is run from the graveyard, back to your body and you're good to go again.

I've Never played WoW

... but the number of piled up skeletons has me thinking. Is that the amount of players that are crowded into a public space at any given time?

Re: I've Never played WoW

It probably has more to do with people resurrecting, then dying again. An individual can have multiple skeletons lying around.

Bronze badge

I used to have a life,

but I took an arrow to the knee, (oops wrong time sink).

Ele

The revenge of Leroy jenkins

Bronze badge
FAIL

Yeh, got down voted on a Skyrim/bog standard MMO observation, So...

Looking for down votes here people,

Diablo 3 is rubbish because of the boring grind nature/ corporate greed auction house mentality.

WOW Panda Armageddon is just so f**king idiotic and tarnishes an already dead franchises reputation.

Torchlight 2 - yeh!!!!!, you spent two years putting in some LAN code and additional art work on the original Fate/Torchlight 1 engine. Feel proud.

Eve-Online - change the rules at anytime, you know it makes sense.

Guild Wars 2 - you are beyond contempt.

Skyrim - big and boring is not better. Also soggy mountains only appeal to the mosquito ridden 'shotgun the mouth wielding' Nordic types. (Not a big market)

Knock yourselves out :-)

Black Helicopters

Was it...

anything to do with http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/10/05/world_of_warcraft_colleen_lachowicz_attacked_by_republicans/ ?

Bronze badge
Pirate

I see dead people

Slightly new twist on the phrase.

This topic is closed for new posts.