back to article Pirate Bay site sinks, Swedish police raid its ISP

Rumors are flying after the Pirate Bay's website took a dive on Monday just as news broke of a raid by Swedish police on its hosting company PRQ – but the group says the two facts are not related. "Dear internet. We have not been raided. We are not shutting down. We like turtles, waffles and you," the group said on its …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. PyLETS

Re: Downloading anonymously

MAC addresses are easy enough to spoof.

1. James O'Shea

No need to spoof MAC addresses when USB dongles are cheap and easy to use. I've got a wireless N dongle, because my older systems have wireless G; it's trivial to move the dongle from one machine to another as I wish, and get higher speeds. Once wireless AC comes down in price and becomes easier to find I'll probably get a wireless AC dongle, too.

2. James O'Shea
        Pirate

No need to mask the MAC; I for example, have an old Toshiba laptop which shipped with wireless G and I long ago purchased (using cash, for reasons which made sense at the time) an USB wireless N dongle. I have also replaced the hard drive in the Toshiba, when the drive that it shipped with died three months out of warranty. Paid for that drive with cash, too. That particular Toshiba has Ubuntu 9.04 installed. And, frankly, any cameras noting that I'm present at a certain location won't be of much value, as when I go near hotels it's usually on official business and there will be a whole bunch of us in the conference room or whatever. And, as I'm there on official business, I'm not the one paying for the room. So, yes, I can download any bloody thing I want, for free, and I can't be tracked unless Big Brother wants to go to an _awful_ lot of trouble... and they're not going to, as there are all the low-hanging torrent-using fruit around. It's much easier to grab them.

1. JimmyPage Silver badge

Unless I move in the wrong circles, I can't think of any hotel that won't need a credit card for breakages ....

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

There are some hotels that you can stay at for cash, but the rooms tend to charge by the hour and they're probably not the sort of place that has WiFi...

2. Matt Bryant Silver badge
        Boffin

Re: Re: Downloading anonymously

".......I can't think of any hotel that won't need a credit card...." And most insist on you buying Wifi time with their service, usually by credit card. And to sign into those services you will be opening a browser and accepting a whole lot of cookies that will rape your system for info. Sure, if you're a genius you may have your MAC address masked and your browser set to return false identifying info, but most people just aren't smart enough to plan that far ahead. The last time I stayed in a hotel in Geneva it wouldn't let you connect to the Wifi unless you accepted their cookies.

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The hits keep coming

They can run but they can't hide. More facilitators of piracy to go to prison and pay mega fines - as it should be. Denial is not an effective legal defense.

1. Psyx
      Thumb Down

Re: The hits keep coming

"The hits keep coming

They can run but they can't hide. More facilitators of piracy to go to prison and pay mega fines - as it should be. Denial is not an effective legal defense."

Did you actually read the article?

You seem to be referencing something else...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: The hits keep coming

I think he means the ISP is likely to be held accountable for hosting TPB and illegal distribution of copyright protected material. It doesn't make any difference if you're the front end (TPB) or backend (PRQ) when it comes to illegal distribution of copyright protected goods or services. Chances are good that many will be fined and or jailed when the dust settles, as happened to TPB once before.

It's like these people are clueless and think the second time around they won't get caught. Really?

2. brolin_1911a1

I'm rather more intrigued by the "How" rather than the "Why" or "What" of PirateBay's (probably temporary) removal. When I saw this article, I tried a "ping" of PirateBay unsuccessfully. My ISP's DNS reported PB's address as 194.71.107.15 but no packets were returned. Curious about where the link was broken, I tried a TraceRoute on PirateBay. TraceRoute correctly looked up 194.71.107.15, then returned the address of my modem/router, the address of my local ISP's local switch and then nothing beyond that.

I live in a semi-rural area and generally a traceroute to even my ISP's corporate webpage results in hops through a dozen or so nodes. For it to stop at the local telco switch connection would seem to indicate a net-wide banning of that IP address.

1. jonfr
      Boffin

No IPv6 connection

There is no connection over IPv6. So this issue is just not over IPv4.

3. Sean Nevin

Something's off here...

Just like Brolin above, I also did a traceroute to the pirate bay. I got the same address (194.71.107.15) and did not get past my ISP's switch. Not just a power outage methinks. It seems like the bay has dropped off the internets...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sooner or later...

...the knock will come at the door and those who chose to pirate or facilitate piracy will be held accountable for their violations of law. Japan has just started mandatory 2 year prison sentences and stiff fines for anyone who pirates, so other countries are likely to follow. If you want to play, your gonna pay.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like