back to article Peeved bumpkins demand legally binding broadband promise from UK.gov

The UK government's plans to deploy faster broadband connections to 90 per cent of homes and businesses by 2015 has once again been criticised by landowners in England and Wales, who have labelled the BDUK process as "too bureaucratic". The Country Land and Business Association (CLA) called on the Department for Media, Culture …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Solly
    Joke

It will definitely happen

Deputy PM: Nick Clegg has made a pledge it will*... so be off you doubters

* may not have actually happened

2. Sean Hunter

Look at what's happening in Africa

The reason for the cellphone explosion in Africa is that it's hard for people to get a decent fixed line telephone.

Population density is an issue. Laying cables etc incurs a high fixed cost, and where people are spread out the costs increase a lot. I expect that wireless will ultimately be the answer - specifically, once 4G LTE becomes ubiquitous people will just use that and forget about getting high-speed internet access from a wire.

1. HMB

Re: Look at what's happening in Africa

With LTE Advanced (1Gbps Down/0.5Gbps Up) I think that becomes plausible. Contention and mast density are critical though for making it really work.

I love broadband over mobile, but contention is a MUCH bigger issue than on fixed line with the shared radio space and not just because I put much in capitals. :P

3. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Joke

Farmer Palmer says...

"Get on my laaaand"

And lay some decent cabling.

4. Attila of welshpool
    Megaphone

bumpkins? or very smart operators?

Around here the farmers only need it to claim their Glastir and other subsidies even faster ( try reading Gwlad for a couple of issues and you will see the ridiculous amount of taxpayers hard earned cash being gulped down by these wasters). As for other businesses they already have lower wage costs and property prices ( just look at the number of new empty business property round here e.g. the whole new estate on the Salop road with no units on it!!!). Virtually all of which are already subsidised to the hilt by the EU and the Welsh Government (i.e ,if honest, AKA the South East English taxpayers). So guess what they what yet more of other peoples cash. For goodness sake stop whingeing, forget getting everything paid for by others and get on with you own life.

1. James Hughes 1

Re: bumpkins? or very smart operators?

Another moron who think the entire countryside is only populated by farmers.

Please get this though your heads - the countryside is filled with many people - doctors, teachers, engineers, fishermen, lawyers, shop workers, cleaners, call centre workers, plumbers, electricians and the list goes on. Those are the people who are losing out. Not just farmers.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

And can most of those people access the Internet in some form, whether by mobile phone, 3G dongle, cable or phone line?

I think the Internet is great, just like everybody else, but that doesn't mean it's a basic human right that the government should subsidise to try and make everyone equal when the pay back for the country as a whole is negligible given the investment required.

1. Da Weezil
          FAIL

Problem is that our Govt intend to make everything "digital by default".. taxes benefits..they are already consulting on closing all the local DVLA offices.. Its all going on line to save money... so in fact Decent access will be a necessity for all communities.

5. Da Weezil
    Mushroom

@Tim Almond

This Rural area provides power for around 3.5 million homes (with another power plant proposed in the near future, 2 LNG terminals which provide Gas for the homes and businesses across the UK - and a fair amount of Oil products 2 from 2 refineries. Thats without the agriculture and fishery stuff oh and the trade with Eire via 2 ferry terminals.

Despite all this hi-tech we still have only 8 meg BTw services, for which we pay a disproportionate price for - old tech services on kit more than paid for with little or no upgrading being done.

Without those who live here idiots like you would be walking everywhere and sitting in dark cold rooms wishing he had something to eat.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: @Tim Almond

Those nice businesses you list paid for their speedy connections. You have 3 options; pay up as well, shut up or move somewhere where the population density is high enough that installing a high speed fibre line becomes economically viable for the cable operator.

6. Bluenose

Universal Provision is still subject to discussion

I am fed up of people saying how Britain will have the fastest broadband or that 90% of the population will have access to 2mbps without actually telling us what our actual (as opposed to forecast or maybe with a good following wind) download speeds will be.

I synch with my local exchange at 5.6mbps and get a download speed after 6 pm of around 1.1mbps on a good day and less most days. What I really want from someone (govt or supplier) is a download speed that is is at least 75% of my synch speed on average over the whole day and not in the 10 mins when I am the only person awake and online.

The theoretical speed of the line is of no benefit if contention rations are huge and the actual available backhaul is the size of a small drinking straw.

7. Trygve
    Trollface

Dunno what you're all moaning about

My house is beside a lake in the forest about nine miles outside a town of less than 4000 people, and I get 6-7mb. VOIP and VPN work just fine for a bit of telecommuting.

It's also not in the UK, mind you.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like