back to article 'Apple's iOS 6 maps app is SHOCKING, rushed and half-baked'

This was the week when Microsoft chieftain Steve Ballmer tried to convince everyone that 2012 will be "the most epic year in Microsoft history". And how did the chair-tossing potty-mouthed bossman attempt to prove this glorious epoch will be achieved? Well, it wasn't by suggesting its Surface fondleslabs should be sold at an …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I've just seen another borg drone with a 5!

What a wanker! and he doesn't even know it.

2. supreme-overlord

all this moaning

From tech types who haven't figured out you open safari on the iPhone, type maps.google.com and problem and incessant whining just goes away. Apple maps AND google maps on your device.

3. Doug Elliot

Just a few errors?

What's all the fuss about a few errors on Apple Maps?

See http://theamazingios6maps.tumblr.com/

I'm not "upgrading" until the Google app is out.

4. Jack the Bat
    FAIL

the Map app can't Apple's own flagship store in Hong Kong

I blogged about this today:

http://cw.com.hk/blog/iphone-app-pinpoints-ifc-mall-no8-middle-ring-jinrong-street

"It seems as though all of Hong Kong was fed through a mainland-translation machine at Apple Headquarters in Cupertino. Searching “Apple store Hong Kong” yields such gems as:

“Red Apple Pet Shop”

Address?

“China, Hong Kong Tebie Administration Area, Fenlinglou Road”...WHAT?!?

Apple clearly understands the importance of Hong Kong in its business-strategy: their iconic retail operation in the IFC mall was the only ex-Japan location in Asia to offer the iPhone 5 last Friday. But Apple's much-criticized Maps app adds this surreal information to the text-listing for its own store in the HKSAR:

“No.8 Middle Ring Jinrong Street”...again the mysterious “Hong Kong Tebie Administration Area.”

But cut/paste the Chinese characters listed on Apple's own site (國際金融中心商場

中環金融街 8 號) into Google Translate and you get:

"8 Finance Street, Central, Hong Kong"

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's like this one time when I had my mower serviced, they replaced the blades with banana skins because they fell out with the blade manufacturer,

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Finally I have a good reason to buy an iPhone

...so I can join in the fun of finding errors in their mapping.

But I just looked at the cost, on a 2 year contract I can expect an annualised TCO of £400 which compares poorly with closer to £100 for my ageing Android - which seems to have quite usable mapping capabilities.

1. Confuciousmobil
      Pint

Re: Finally I have a good reason to buy an iPhone

Wow! Your android device is cheaper than an iPhone? And it has maps that work?

Where can I find one of these miracle devices?

7. dsf

Missing the point

"Which would be fine if the thing wasn't occasionally inaccurate and somewhat shoddy."

No, it would not. Even if Apple's maps were as good or better than Google, I would like to make that judgement myself thank you very much. And if the web app is good enough, I'll make that judgement as well.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like