back to article It's time to burn the schedules and seize control of OUR TVs

Freesat's redesigned user interface for its set-top boxes is a welcome improvement even if it is aping YouView. But the way in which we command and control our TVs will remain locked in the last century until everyone knows just what a modern telly set can do these days. Using a television used to be very simple, back when TVs …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. TeeCee Gold badge
    Unhappy

Oh I dunno.

Then ability browse what's on now and go; "That might be interesting....." is the vitally important horizon-broadening bit.

Effectively lumping everything into the back catalogue is bound to fall foul of the "app store" problem. There may be a gem in there, but if you don't know what it is and it's not being actively touted, you'll never find it.

The Tivo approach is a disaster. That way lies an entire species of blinkered arsehats who never see anything that doesn't reinforce their own world view.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Oh I dunno.

"The Tivo approach is a disaster. That way lies an entire species of blinkered arsehats who never see anything that doesn't reinforce their own world view."

Ah, so that explains its popularity in America! (I realise there is a certain irony in me making this statement)

2. JEDIDIAH
      Linux

The Tivo approach is no different from the original TV approach from the 50s. The only thing that has changed is that what you choose is watched on your own terms. People were avoiding things like Hee-Haw and Lawrence Welk long before time shifting technology existed.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"There may be a gem in there, but if you don't know what it is and it's not being actively touted, you'll never find it.

The Tivo approach is a disaster. That way lies an entire species of blinkered arsehats who never see anything that doesn't reinforce their own world view."

Those two together prove you don't understand how TiVo works, which is a great shame as it's been in this country for 11 years now. It's brilliant at finding gems buried in schedules without you having to spend time scouring for them yourself: approx 8500 hours per day of Sky non-premium channels. Just use Wishlists for a few actors and directors, Suggestions find other similar programmes, and of course set Season Passes for the series that you would watch anyway. It does all the work for you. Its goal is to fill the disc all the time to give you more choice. There's no way I would have found older movies on random channels without the Wishlists for my favourite actors.

And it's not as if you suddenly stop talking to friends and family about what programmes they are watching.

2. mark jacobs
    Angel

Safety in Numbers

I believe that the majority watch TV the old-fashioned way because they don't feel "alone" when watching live TV. It's as if there are thousands of others whose consciousnesses are all pointing the same way as theirs. It's kind of comforting! Video on demand doesn't quite have the same feel. However, I am in the minority and prefer watching exactly what I want, when I want and without adverts. But that's just me - born to be outside of the masses, like a dog rounding up sheep...

1. AndrueC Silver badge
      Happy

Re: Safety in Numbers

> It's as if there are thousands of others whose consciousnesses are all pointing the same way as theirs

Maybe that's a major reason why I prefer time-shifting :)

3. Steve Button Silver badge
    WTF?

won't record them automatically as that would risk infringing on TiVo's patent??

Really!? Seriously!?

So TiVo "invented" that idea did they? FFS.

I used to like TiVo, but this is beyond ridiculous. Fucking patents.

4. a well wisher

But if my TV could guess ....

" but if my TV could guess what I might want to watch and lay it out on a plate for me then that is cool, "

I though that is/was the basic premise of the TiVo box

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: But if my TV could guess ....

"I though that is/was the basic premise of the TiVo box"

Correct, and it does that (the Suggestions feature). Which can be turned off if you like, say like me you only have time to watch the TV you've also explicitly told it that you want (ie normal recordings from Season Passes which it schedules for you without you ever needing to know or check what time the programme is on).

5. Jonathon Green
    Thumb Down

..."users who don't want to venture too far from their comfort zone, namely the electronic programme guide (EPG)."

I'm not so sure it's the users who are clinging to the EPG model, in my experience every user who's spent more than about 30 seconds in front of a TiVo (and this includes my 80-something Mother) is perfectly happy without Ye Olde EPG, the content providers however are another matter...

A prime position in the EPG is a valuable marketing tool (and sometimes a revenue stream) for Sky et-al and I don't see them relinquishing control of the interface without a struggle.

6. Magister
    Windows

Eeeh, when I were a lad...

... us only ad 2 channels, all in glorious monochrome. But the programmes were better. Even the test card was more enjoyable than some of the garbage that gets pumped out these days.

It's no good offering me access to download stuff across the net if there is nothing that I think is worth watching; or if my connectivity is so piss poor that it would take a week to download a 1 hour package.

Damn; I'm a misearable old git.

1. Reading Your E-mail
      Joke

Re: Eeeh, when I were a lad...

2 channels ?!?!?

You were lucky, we had 1 channel and it was only black, it broadcast for 2 minutes a day.......but we were happy!!!

1. Lee Dowling Silver badge

Luxury!

When I was a kid, we had to scribble on bits of paper for days and swish them through an empty cardboard box at 12fps to get a few seconds of "TV".

On good days, Dad would let us turn the light on so we could see what we were doing.

2. cosymart
        Happy

1 channel!!! we had to make do with a crystal set radio with a cats whisker in my day. By eck these young uns have it easy. :-)

1. This Side Up
          Thumb Up

When I were a lad we 'ad b/w telly that'd receive Home, Light, Third and TV. It 'ad 12" tube at top and 12" loudspeaker at bottom. Nowadays you can 'ave 55" screen with 2" speakers round t'back. No darn use at all.

1. Test Man
            Thumb Up

Remember in the old days you'd buy a newspaper and circle the programmes you wanted to watch? Nowadays you simply press the Record button when highlighting the programme in the EPG.

2. CCCP
      Thumb Up

...indeed we only had a b/w telly.

Then we upgraded to a colour telly with an ultrasound remote control. A Telefunken IIRC. It was fantastic, but not in the way you think.

1) You could use the remote to send dogs crazy - like a portable dog distraction device

2) The telly would pick up sounds from any source, e.g. the hoover, and randomly switch on/off

3. mark jacobs
      Coat

Well, we 'ad it tough. Our Dad would smash our eyes until we saw stars, and we called that "TV".

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

In my day we didn't 'ave t'new fangled telly. We 'ad books an' playin' t'outside.

An my kids, they 'av pretty much no tv either, nor faceboook, an if catch'em on yoohoo-tube they'll be in for 'an 'iding. In fact, I lock t'computer up witha pahssword.

Norw, ya can't 'ave an iphorn either!

Mythtv is strictly for t'grownups and only ahfter kids are tucked up in their beds.

7. Neil Barnes Silver badge
    WTF?

Am I alone?

Sit down. Scan EPG. Anything on in the next few minutes, or in a couple of hours, that might interest me? No? Anything recorded I'm interested in? No? Get up and do something different then...

Life need not revolve around the TV. I don't 'consume' TV, and the very concept of looking for something online/ondemand simply wouldn't occur to me. If there's something there, I watch it; if there's a film that might interest me I'll probably record it simply to skip past the adverts, if the channel is that way inclined. But I won't seek something out on the offchance. There are still too many books I haven't read, tomatoes I haven't pruned, paragliders I haven't crashed, friends I haven't chatted with, model planes I haven't built (and/or crashed), games I haven't played with granddaughter...

8. This Side Up
    FAIL

Linking episodes from a series?

It's a total epic failure. The system is completely incapable of handling the situation where a series flips between one channel and another (e.g. Michael Portillo's Great British Railway Journeys) or when a single programme such as the Wimbledon Tennis Championships transfers from one channel to another.

1. Test Man
      Stop

Re: Linking episodes from a series?

True. Also, some devices seem incapable of just recording a series on one channel, opting to change the recording schedule to record repeats on a completely different channel, even if you have watched the exact same recording already and deleted it, then deleting the next programme in the series off the schedule (I'm looking at YOU, PlayTV!).

2. mrtickle

TiVo handles these two sitations perfectly with a Wishlist for the title, and it has done for the last 11 years.

It's a crying shame that the competition can't even get BASIC PVR functionality like this right, before they worry about bells and whistles. If it can't do this it shouldn't legally be allowed to be called a PVR.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

mythtv is also fine.

Although it doesn't pick up things when the title changes (such as adding "Season Final" to the title instead of the subtitle) - but then, that's what torrents^H^H^H^H^H^Hcatchup-tv is for... ;)

I should probably dump the entire EIT, normalise it and upload it back to the database.

9. Inachu
    Unhappy

WHY OH WHY?

I find LG TV are a fine product indeed. Well the sound kinda suck but other than that its ok.

Other than the above I want to know why they removed PIP(picture in a picture)

I grew up on that and now LG does not support it?!?! WTH!

10. This Side Up
    Flame

Set top boxes

Why do people keep calling these things "set top boxes"? How many people put them on top of the set? How many sets actually have tops that are both flat enough and deep enough to put equipment on? If it's a digital tuner or a DVD recorder or a hard disc recorder than just say what it is. It doesn't matter where it's located.

11. Wokstation
    Stop

perhaps when my line speed is >=1mb

Perhaps then I will be able to use VoD, but until then...

Nope.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Unhappy

Re: perhaps when my line speed is >=1mb

My line is 12mbps - but the internet streaming is definitely a second best quality compared to Terrestial TV liveTV broadcasts. The iPlayer picture tends to show compression blocks when a new scene has lots of detail. On a live "watch now" stream the frames may suddenly speed up after an otherwise unnoticed hesitation.

However - the new iPlayer function to "restart" a live TV programme when you came in part way through is useful - plus the pause facility. Pity they don't do it for their radio programmes too.

It is annoying when a BBC TV programme is not shown on the internet streaming in real time due to copyright restrictions.

1. P. Lee
        Boffin

I haven't looked closely and I may be completely wrong, but if you use a wireless device, you can improve things with a local proxy (assuming http streaming). With a wireless device, you are most likely to need retransmits (++latency) in the last few meters of network. A local proxy *may* prevent the need to go back out to the internet for content.

I only tried this once and it could have been a fluke that when I switched to the proxy things got better, other commenters please chime in. Does squid do anything clever to improve things with streaming? Could it be made to pre-cache content and ask for the entire file as fast as possible, even if only a small bit of it has been requested?

2. Emmett Jenner
      FAIL

I pity you. Real shame. I've been using VOD for years.

As someone mentioned earlier, being able to get around having to watch adverts is a godsend. I'm not too bothered by one advert at the begining of a clip like when you watch YouTube but the rampant brain-washing-cram-cram-cram rubbish you have to put up with on some of the freeview channels really drives me crazy. Reliability would be nice to have as well. So many of these modern devices crash or fail to function properly and there's no real mark of quality you can trust as all the boxes are more-or-less the same sort of china quality.

12. Gareth Perch
    Pirate

TV in my youth was a nightmare - waiting what seemed like forever for pretty much the only watchable TV programme on a Saturday, which wasn't even that great (The Pink Panther cartoon) which was surrounded by news and sports programs (hours upon hours of teletyped results). I don't even like sports.

I haven't had a TV or TV licence for years, since I bought a projector, which I replaced with a full 1080P 3D one nearly a year ago. I appreciate I'm in the minority (most people probably like to have the curtains open during the day).

I don't have to suffer adverts any more - if I'm at someone else's house, the blatant lies oozed at the viewers just serve to annoy, and the 10 minutes of film followed by 10 minutes of ads is just a joke. I even find the news distasteful (see Charlie Brooker's excellent Newswipe to see how all the news channels and newspapers do exactly what the psychologists and experts say not to do, if they want to avoid sensationalising the news and nurturing copycats).

I download movies and music and if I like them, I buy them on blu ray / CD - although sometimes I have to wait to do that, because of artificial delays to maximise the publisher's profit. I'd be happy to pay for TV shows on blu, but not £37 for 12 episodes - even of the excellent Dexter. On blu - perhaps £1 per episode while it's current, 50p if it's already been on TV but it's just come out on blu, or less when it's older than that. Most of the TV shows I watch are US (Dexter / Castle / Chuck / House / Greys and lots of others) and if I discover a new show (recommended by a friend or a random download of a s01e01) then I get to watch them in bulk, which is great when the show's really good and has been running for a number of seasons. Waiting for it to make it over the pond and watching the ads is not the way it should happen. Unfortunately, rights holders are (naturally?) tight with their IP, so would rather lose sales to downloaders than make it available everywhere at once.

It's a shame that the downloaders get a better experience than the legitimate purchasers (no ads, no piracy warnings, works on any kit, watch it when you like, watch it again years later, transfer to any device).

I don't believe that downloaded content in its current form has much value in itself - probably because there are ways to get it for free (sorry). If there is value added to the downloaded content (for example a 24bit studio master that is better than the CD) then I'm happy to pay for a download, but not for a poor quality MP3, which (unfortunately) a lot of people are happy with (I expect due to the poor quality hardware they're playing it on).

I have over 90 blu-rays, loads of DVDs and even laserdiscs, as well as 300 CDs (most of the music bought in the last century - not due to piracy but due to only about one CD a year that's worth buying) so at least I've made some sort of contribution.

Like I said in a forum years ago, charge me one monthly price (I think I said £30 at the time, maybe £50 now) for me to consume what I like ("stream" any music, any film, any newspaper, any magazine, any book, any game, any image, from any era), when I like, and split the money to pass to the relevant parties according to how much I used each item - and I'll buy into that scheme. Sadly, because so many companies own the rights to all this stuff, that'll never happen. Apart from that, it seems that you'd be lucky to get even all that Sky offers for £50 a month, never mind the other stuff.

I paid for a month of LoveFilm and for a month of Netflix, but because the alternative (downloading) offers so much more choice, it all seemed a bit limited. Even the shows they did have didn't have all the seasons. Logging on to either service in the US offered much more choice, which I'm afraid is a situation I won't pay to prolong.

I appreciate that if everyone did what I did, they wouldn't produce the content any more, as there wouldn't be any profit in it, unless you care to multiply all the stuff I've actually bought by all the people that buy even less than I do...

"You wouldn't steal a car" - no, but I'd drive it through a device that makes a perfect copy of it, that has no detrimental effect on the original.

13. Christian Berger

For me TV is like a download service

I have my VDR set up for some search words. When a show comes containing such words, it'll record it. Simple as that.

However in the UK you still have decent live TV. You can turn on your TV set and have multiple decent TV shows right after each other. TV in the UK is not just hurling crap at the viewer but providing a "habitad" for the programme.

14. Zack Mollusc

To whom it may concern

If anyone is going to develop a new user interface paradigm to TV, here is what I want:

Let me pick stuff from a program guide, record the stuff and stuff that has similar titles/description and dump it on the LAN share I specify (without DRM, obviously). Keep doing this till there is no space left.

That's about it really.

15. mickey mouse the fith

There are so many repeats on freeview that often there is bugger all on you havnt seen already, I mean how many times are they going to show those bourne films or the same episode of family guy?

With the +1 channels repeating the repeat you already watched 4 months ago theres no real compeling reason not to cherrypick with a pvr or obtain stuff from other sources.

I personally hook up a laptop to the telly and watch streaming media far more often than over the air programming as I can watch something that suits my mood at that moment, rather than whatever inane drivel the freeview channels are beltching out.

Btw, youtube is much nicer to watch with adblock enabled, no annoying popups over the video to ruin the atmos.

16. Dodgy Geezer Silver badge
    Coat

Oh, yes?

"...Today's tellies will show us anything - yet viewers are stuck in the 1980s..."

Mine won't. I gave up having a TV a few years ago. It actually gives you time to do things instead....

17. jim 45
    Thumb Down

Ok I know what was wrong with "Bob". What does that have to do with Metro?

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Then ability browse what's on now and go; "That might be interesting....." is the vitally important horizon-broadening bit."

Yeah - but I do this by once a week going through the listings and telling my Mythtv set-up to record anything that looks as though it might be interesting. admittedly I do have a small backlog of around 12Tb of interesting stuff to watch now, but hey I might get the time eventually!

19. Boris the Cockroach Silver badge
    Unhappy

This

sounds truely excellent technology, to give the viewer exactly what he wants when he wants it (or she of course)

Now all this viewer wants is some decent TV to actually watch, how about a nice science program or 3 where it is'nt dumbed down to the level of a 4 year old... some of us can cope with complex mind bending maths (but not too much)

20. Long John Brass
    Linux

MythTV FTW

Been using MythTV for a few years now

I find it hard to imagine having to work my schedule around TV viewing habits anymore

21. Richard Lloyd
    Meh

Media centre software is the way to go

I used to believe that dedicated set-top boxes (or built-in recording facilities on recent TVs) were the way to go, but when you look at it, they're quite limited:

* Firmware is often buggy and eventually abandoned not long after a newer model comes out.

* If you don't like the firmware (e.g. the UI is annoying or missing important features), then you're stuffed - there's no way to change it usually.

* If you're on the Freeview HD platform, then good luck trying to export HD recordings unencrypted. Ludicrously, the Freeview HD specs don't allow you to do that (even though Freeview HD channels are actually broadcast unencrypted), yet they do allow SD recordings to be exported unencrypted. 100% inconsistent, IMHO.

* A fair chunk of recorders don't bother allowing you to record multiple channels (e.g. 3 or 4) from the same multiplex/transponder simultaneously - it doesn't help that none of them seem to come with SSDs either to alleviate access times when recording multiple programmes.

* Very few recorders come with a Web interface to mirror what they do on the TV's UI (i.e. a full Web EPG, recordings list etc) - the ability to set recordings, stream them to another machine etc. without turning the TV on is a very useful feature.

Once I realised the above issues, it was a no-brainer for the Olympics to set up media centre software with sat+terrestrial TV tuner cards, SSDs, large hard drives and I got an extremely flexible setup that could do far more than any set-top box currently does (yes, including a full desktop with browser etc. using a wireless keytboard and mouse). For the record, it was Ubuntu+XBMC+tvheadend that did the trick for me - no-cost for the software too! I think tvheadend's backend Web interface is nothing short of super impressive - I doubt any other media centre Web interface comes close (most media centre software seems to think Web access is a minor feature: I think it's massively important myself).

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like