Feeds

back to article BBC dishes out fanboi-only telly downloads ahead of ITV plans

The BBC's mobile iPlayer app will now let users download content for watching later – provided they have an Apple device of course. Sonic Screwdriver - Doctor Who Lucky fanbois can nab last night's episode of EastEnders or the latest Doctor Who for perusal at their leisure for up to 30 days, though once they've started …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Anonymous Coward

Re: i™

Don't forget, the BBC were for many decades completely biased towards PAL instead of NTSC and SECAM. Now it's DVB. It's almost as if they care more about supplying useful services than about their impartiality remit. Root of all evil if you ask me.

Anonymous Coward

Funny, thought Windows was the 1st platform to get iPlayer....

as for the "i" surely PocketPC should of been the 1st with the iPaq....

Bronze badge
WTF?

Should of? Should have? Why should the PocketPC be the first? Is this some sort of bragging rights that PocketPC ought to have?

Anonymous Coward

Dealing with the bbc day in and out, they are full of middle/upper class morons who have no idea what they are doing especially in the development side of things, its all about the shinny aspect for them and apple stuff is seen as status, even if they dont know how to use it properly.

Silver badge

PAL is the standard in Britain and it's the British Broadcasting Corporation.

I think saying they are biased toward PAL is like saying that London transport is biased to driving on the left.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Yet Another Anonymous coward

Whoosh!

Silver badge
Facepalm

Arrgggghhhhhh ..........

OSC

Re: i™"This is not impartiality" <- FWIW

BBC and Apple: http://www.opensourceconsortium.org/content/view/211/1/

Holmes

Saw it here first

So this has been available on various mobiles for nearly 4years, but now it's on iPhone it's being announced as if it's a new media dawn for mobiles? Wait for more cries of Android copying iphone once it's out on that platform too...

Mushroom

we dont care that apple has this feature, android has bittorrent

so the bbc has finally woken up to the limitations of mobile services, shame they are only doing it for apple devices but I suppose as bittorrent is probably not available on that platform it's good that they have another option.

Stop

Fanbois

Please, please, could The Register stop using this word? I am no Apple fan - and it used to make for funny reading BUT. But years later, while it seems to me that many readers have even grown a bit bored and intollerant of the endless cycle of Apple/Windows/Linux wars in the comments, The Register still seem to do a 'Search and Replace' on every article to get this word in somewhere? It's getting very old and dull!

Anonymous Coward

Only some fanbois

since the appstore gives me the brush off with a "This app requires iOS 5.1" message

Silver badge

For non-iStuff users

get_iplayer

That is all.

Anonymous Coward

ITV plans?

ITV makes plans? I thought things just happened to them.

Come on BBC rather than improving iPlayer for iOS get a version of the iplayer for Android that doesn't require flash, the 3rd party apps Myplayer and Beebplayer managed it years ago but the BBC are dragging their heels even lobbing Adobe to put Flash back on Google play just so they don't need to update the Android version.

h3
Bronze badge

When it comes to Jelly Bean and flash support - All I know is my Xoom with stock US rom still has the old style browser with jellybean 4.1.1 (So flash works fine - annoying thing is it is not in the market so you have to keep it upto date manually which is a security risk).

Silver badge

Hmm... this _is_ 2012

At least in Germany you can get sub 60 Euro DVB-S2 receivers which will happily record BBC One HD for you in perfect quality on any USB mass storage device you can think of. Sure such devices must be available in the UK. If not you can always mailorder from other countries. (Keep away from HD+ or CI+, those are the few which actually encrypt their content on USB disks)

So the average not to smart user could simply record it onto a micro-SD card, pop that into their mobile device and off they go.

Silver badge

Re: Hmm... this _is_ 2012

The BBC are working on a regional coding system which will allow only "Dad's Army" and "Allo Allo" to be recorded in Germany.

Anonymous Coward

Suprised? not...

BBC are the biggest bunch of clueless iTards going. They are too busy playing on their iDevices in wine bars to notice the world has moved on.

Thank goodness for Bittorrent. It's like iPlayer but without the restrictions.

When will these people learn, until they offer a credible and convenient method to use stuff WE own (and I class paying my UK license fee as giving me unlimited viewing of BBC content), then people will use P2P networks instead.

Re: Suprised? not...

Shame the source of BBC content has been killed for your precious torrents.

Anyway, if you pay premium, you get things first (generally). Also, the Apple product line is probably the least complicated to code for (with the endless list of custom Android devices to support).

Makes sense. No icon because this post makes sense.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Suprised? not...

No, they aren't. They have internal cross-platform tech that leaves the iPlayer in the dust, but while they're trapped between the lawyers and the no-nothing loudmouth gobshites such as yourself, it will never be allowed to be rolled out to the public.

There are nice things, but many people can't have them. One of those people is you, and having seen the drivel that you just posted, I am not sorry.

This post has been deleted by a moderator

Silver badge

Re: Biased bbc

>The bbc are completely biased towards the left.

You see "antiques in the attic in the house in the country challenge" as a savage indictment of bourgeois capitalism ?

Thumb Up

Fandroids are a bunch of thieving freetards. I don't blame the BBC for ignoring their platform.

Holmes

Morse

Why would anyone want to buy a digital episode of Inspector Morse for 99p when they can get an episode on DVD, plus a magazine and ring binder for only £5.99 each month?

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.