Feeds

back to article UK: 'We're legally bound to arrest Mr Assange'

The UK's Foreign Secretary has refused to rule out storming the Ecuadorian embassy to arrest Julian Assange and pack him off to Sweden. On Tuesday, The Right Honourable William Jefferson Hague met with the vice president of Ecuador over the Assange issue. When questioned about it by the BBC on Wednesday, Hague described the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Silver badge
FAIL

Once again a government fails it's people.

Will the British government also accept that foreign countries perform the same act on British embassies?

The more I read about current British politics, the more I wonder why anyone would ever want to do business with the brits.

I hope the Brits remember what serfdom means; they are returning to it !!!!!!

Coat

Re: Once again a government fails it's people.

Amerika will beat them to it.

Silver badge

"I hope the Brits remember what serfdom means; they are returning to it !!!!!!"

Actually, we've never left it - which is why these dicks have been getting away with it at the top with such ease, and for so long.

The aussies do not seem to mind.

Bronze badge

On the contrary.

The Aussie government are happy to hand him over to the US Sweden.

The Aussie people, on the other hand, are disgusted.

Pint

Only if the "Back to the 1850's" RepubliCLOWN Party gets control...

Beer, because I'll need a whole lot of it if the RepubliCLOWNs win in November...

gap

Unlike the US, we (Aussies) abandon our citizens when it's not convenient for the government cause.

Would any of this been going on if Assange was a US citizen and he'd leaked Australian secrets?

Silver badge
Joke

Would any of this been going on if Assange was a US citizen and he'd leaked Australian secrets?

A map with all the sheep on it?

Anonymous Coward

At least in Australia you all vote - compulsory voting means the government's actions are supported by the majority of voters.

In the UK and US, a minority of people vote. Many people complain, but these same people don't bother to vote. They is why Cameron and his Oxford chums (all but Clegg - who went to Cambridge) get into power. It is the same reason the Republicans stand a chance of getting into power in the USA.

So good on you Australia. The government may fail its people but in Australia it's likely the people will vote it out of power.

Silver badge
Devil

@ GAP ... Re: Once again a government fails it's people.

"Unlike the US, we (Aussies) abandon our citizens when it's not convenient for the government cause."

I really hate to break it to you but the Aussie government has its hands tied at the moment.

First Assange didn't ask them for any assistance while he was in the UK fighting the EAW.

Second since Assange hasn't gone back to Sweden to face his accusers, or be officially charged with a crime, he has yet had the opportunity to contact the embassy to ask for their assistance.

So no, you can't blame your government.

BTW, I predict that in the future when this all blows over, Assange will attempt to get on the Brit show "Celebrity Big Brother", only to be the first one in the house to be evicted for being a prat.

Anonymous Coward

@AC 09:51. I am in two minds about this, generally, but: If you can't be arsed to get off your sofa and walk a couple of hundred yards to the polling station, once every two to four years, you don't deserve a vote. At the point you can be arsed I think that you deserve your vote again.

Or, to put it another way: Staying away and being apathetic says as much about you as taking part in the vote does.

What does get my goat is the amount of people who don't bother to vote who continually bitch about how the country is run.

Silver badge
FAIL

"Will the British government also accept that foreign countries perform the same act on British embassies?...." Well, Khaptain, let's look at some prior incidences. In Iran, when the mullahs got upset, a "spontaneous mob" trashed the UK embassy (some of them being caught trying to search through paperwork for UK secrets). In Libya they laid seige to the embassy. In Yemen the "locals" have attacked the British embassy on several occaissions, at least once with an RPG. In Argentina, "protestors" from the Quebracho "Bolivarian" movement (in no way linked to Drag Queen Kirchner's "Peronist" party, of course) attacked the British embassy in April. Seems that quite a few countries don't give a rat's fart about "sovereignty" or the Vienna Convention, and the latter only seems to apply between civilised countries, not faux-democracies. So it would seem those likely to abuse the British embassies in return are already inclined to do so and unlikely to worry about the Vienna Convention.

Silver badge
Facepalm

"Will the British government also accept that foreign countries perform the same act on British embassies?"

Umm... they do, chap. It even happens to other countries.

Things to Google:

Sweedish embassy closed

British embassy in Iran stormed

British trade offices in Russia closed.

Anonymous Coward

Re: @ GAP ... Once again a government fails it's people.

BUT why didnt Assange go to the Aussie embassy and hide?

what sort of welcome comittee do they have for their "son"?

we should be told

Anonymous Coward

Re: @ GAP ... Once again a government fails it's people.

>BTW, I predict that in the future when this all blows over, Assange will attempt to

>get on the Brit show "Celebrity Big Brother", only to be the first one in the house to be evicted for

>being a r*p*st.

I fixed that for you. You're welcome!

Anonymous Coward

Is that because you support one of the two main parties that don't represent them?

Anonymous Coward

Not enough "K"s

Anonymous Coward

I'd quite like to see them storm the embassy.

Not to arrest assange or anything, but to see the UK commit political suicide.

Anonymous Coward

Very few countries like us anyway, it's just business as usual. Also, we have submarines armed with nuclear warheads. Your move South America.

Gold badge
Devil

What is this, Millwall? "No one likes us, no one likes us, no one likes us - we don't care!"

And we've got nukes!

You're goin' home in a Quito ambulance!

Bronze badge

While the UK government claims to have legal right on its side, many in the international community are not so sure. Storming the embassy to snatch Assange could open other countries to taking a similarly relaxed view to the legitimacy of British diplomatic premises.

I'd like to see the US embassies invaded since there is every reason to suppose they are pits of crime in every country they appear.

And why wasn't Murdoch hauled over the coals like this?

Mr Hague on his holiday at the time was he?

Anonymous Coward

I see, they gonna use that to get into the Embassy then? Might be a little messy for the rest of London :P

Silver badge
Boffin

"And why wasn't Murdoch hauled over the coals like this?"

Because he didn't flee jurisdiction in the first place?

Because he didn't spend years in an appeals process fighting an EAW to go back and face hs charges in the first place?

Because when the Britsh courts ruled against him in courts, he didn't run away and create an international incident?

Sorry old chap, unlike Murdoch, A$$nuts made his own situation worse.

Bronze badge

Wow

1. Is he going to read the Harfleur speech from Henry V before he charges on in?

2. Do the Ecuadorans possess a cow and a catapult?

Silver badge
Unhappy

Re: Wow

I'm sure he intends to use the full farce of the law,

Thumb Up

Hot Air Balloon

Just give the guy a hot air balloon and be done with it, maybe a Zeppelin? ;-)

Once he's over international waters he can bail and Ecuador can pick him up ;-)

Simply seeing jets scrambled to stop a big balloon would be worth it alone.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Hot Air Balloon

Jets?

A police helicopter and a knacker with a captive bolt gun could stop a balloon.

Anonymous Coward

You do know that helicopters have these things called "rotors" that shouldn't probably brush against anything? Unless you'ŗe bored, of course.

Anonymous Coward

>You do know that helicopters have these things called "rotors" that shouldn't probably brush against

>anything? Unless you'ŗe bored, of course.

You do know he mentioned a bolt gun? Unless you're feeling stoopid of course.

Anonymous Coward

Not as stupid as people coming up with James-Bond style semi-fascist techno-fantasies exposing their sociopath nature.

Anonymous Coward

What part of the phrase "captive bolt" 'didn't you quite understand, retard?

Anonymous Coward

Is this a special "captive bolt"' that isn't captive, genius?

Anonymous Coward

Yes, I can't imagine why they don't do it in slaughterhouses :P

Anonymous Coward

You do know they don't actually "shoot bolts" yes? As in, the range is a great deal less than the length of the rotor blades.... I think you'll find helicopter cops don't normally use batons to stop cars, either :P

Surely

Just diplomatic-crate him the hell out of there, but fill in the paperwork properly this time...

i.e. a bit like this, but do it properly:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dikko_Affair

Anonymous Coward

Re: Surely

"Just diplomatic-crate him the hell out of there, but fill in the paperwork properly this time..."

Because it's totally illegal under the Vienna Convention. Diplomatic Bags are for diplomatic PAPERS.

Sheesh.

The problem with this debate is most of those involved are going on about this "law" and that, and have got them totally wrong.

FAIL

Re: Surely

You again..... which grubberment misinformation shill are you?

According to the 1961 Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations (pdf), article 27, the diplomatic bag AND the diplomatic courier are inviolable

Silver badge
Black Helicopters

"which grubberment misinformation shill are you?"

"You again..... which grubberment misinformation shill are you?"

Wow. Conspiracy theorist, or what?

I'm just a guy who happened to bother READING the convention instead of citing it. You think that the government pay me to try to bang common sense into deluded conspiracy theorists heads on an IT forum?

Are you insane?

"According to the 1961 Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations (pdf), article 27, the diplomatic bag AND the diplomatic courier are inviolable"

Yes, you are correct. However, the diplomatic bag is for papers, communications and items intended for official use; as is clear from context. ***It is not for putting people in***. The fact that 'bags' with people in have been opened without it then causing a legitimate complaint that the bags were tampered with is your clue.

And I don't see what relevance the courier is. Assange is not a courier nor could not be accredited as one legitimately.

You clearly have no actual clue what you're citing. Just a bunch of delusions coupled with a tragic misunderstanding of international diplomacy and law.

Silver badge
Pint

"According to the 1961 Vienna Convention... the diplomatic bag.. are inviolable"

While I was finding something simple enough to sink in (ie a wikipedia article on diplomatic bags), I stumbled upon this little gem:

"In January 2012, Italy detected 40 kilograms of cocaine smuggled in a diplomatic pouch from Ecuador, arresting five. Ecuador insisted it had inspected the shipment for drugs at the foreign ministry before it was sent to Milan"

So... not only does that rather moot your argument that governments can send what the fuck they like in a diplomatic bag and that it can't be opened...

It also makes a joke of Ecuador trying to preach Vienna Convention to us!

Bronze badge
Flame

Can we PLEASE...

...stop reporting that anyone intends to 'storm' an embassy. It's so Daily Mail'esque.

What has been threatened, or indeed, merely pointed out is that the British have the power to remove the embassy status of the building that they are all in. They would send the diplomats home, or elsewhere to a new embassy building, and walk into what-is-no-longer-an-embassy and arrest Assange.

Not that I agree that this action is at all wise, or justified, but this is very different from 'storming' an embassy, which implies some sort of SAS-type invasion of foreign soil. Indeed, whilst politically suicidal, the reality is that the rather less interesting iteration actually on the table would not trigger some mass slaughter of British diplomats around the globe; I would hope.

Sorry.

Bronze badge
FAIL

I can see that going well

ring... ring...

"Hello, Mr Ambassador. Just to let you know that of five minutes ago your building has been declared 'non-embassy status' and in about three seconds our men from Mi5 will be entering your building.

Oh, and don't delete any files or shred any papers , there's a good chap. ?"

Anonymous Coward

Re: I can see that going well

Darn, there's going to be a lot of disappointed rich UK gap-year slackers if that all kicks off :P

Silver badge
Thumb Up

Re: Can we PLEASE...

@nuked - agreed completely! Not only is it not "storming", it's merely reporting the fact that when asked if they would rule out any of the options available to them, they said "no"

Silver badge

So what will happen if the UK says that the building no longer has embassy status and they yes it does? Some kind of not violent protest by the Special Branch? Get real.

Anonymous Coward

"Darn, there's going to be a lot of disappointed rich UK gap-year slackers if that all kicks off :P"

I would just like to point out that everywhere you go in the world, and I mean everywhere from the quieter bits of Borneo to the flea pits of Bolivia, you're all but guaranteed to find an Englishman holed up somewhere in the proximity, more so that any other nationality apart from those of the locality. They could be ex-pats doing work, on a mission of some kind, ex-forces in some sort of disgrace, or most likely the capable work-sky touring.

It might be simply because a UK passport is just about the most versatile permit in the world, granting you free or cheaper access to more countries and longer stays of leave. I fear that's what really might be at stake, and what was already wilfully eroded by the previous government too.

There really is a pie factory in a town called Fray Bentos. It's in Uruguay. ;-)

Silver badge
Boffin

@nuked ... Re: Can we PLEASE...

"Not that I agree that this action is at all wise, or justified, but this is very different from 'storming' an embassy, which implies some sort of SAS-type invasion of foreign soil. Indeed, whilst politically suicidal, the reality is that the rather less interesting iteration actually on the table would not trigger some mass slaughter of British diplomats around the globe; I would hope."

I hate to be the barer of bad news, but there wouldn't be much if any backlash.

Sure, there will be the 3 or 4 countries who are joined at the hip with Ecuador in their ideological views on world politics, however the bulk of the world could care less. In truth, Ecuador is the one who is in the wrong here. Assange is not being persecuted and is facing a criminal charge of rape in a third country. Ecuador should not have given him asylum in the first place.

When the dust settles, Ecuador and others will then resume diplomatic relations. In terms of damage to the UK, none more than those caused by the opening and closing ceremonies of the Olympics.

Silver badge
Thumb Up

"What has been threatened, or indeed, merely pointed out is that the British have the power to remove the embassy status "

Downvoted by people who do not accept reality, and prefer to live in a black-helicopter world where the SAS will storm an active embassy in order to shoot Saint Assange who didn't in fact jump bail and isn't even guilty of that crime, at the orders of the CIA and Illuminanti..

Silver badge
Facepalm

"Hello, Mr Ambassador. Just to let you know that of five minutes ago your building has been declared 'non-embassy status' and in about three seconds our men from Mi5 will be entering your building.

Oh, and don't delete any files or shred any papers , there's a good chap. ?"

Why do you think they'd do that, exactly? That would be stupid.

They'd be given good time to leave and Assange would be the only one in there when the old Bill turn up.

You also might want to look up what MI5 actually do.

Anonymous Coward

Mmmm Fray Bentos, nearly forgotten about those, actually pretty decent contents for a completely metal-encased pie! Always tremendously surprised they didn't explode when cooked.

Anonymous Coward

Re: @nuked ... Can we PLEASE...

Thought the Greek Pensioner was surprisingly funky, thanks very much ;)

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.