back to article Curiosity's new OS upgrade ready to go live

Martian robot tourist Curiosity's new operating system will go into production on 13 August after it was successfully uploaded and installed by mission scientists. The boffins had said the remote upgrade represented a major milestone for the craft. NASA tested the upgrade on August 11th in an exercise during which it “executed …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
          Trollface

Re: Clearly Fake

Maybe just a honest mistake...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Shot_an_Arrow_into_the_Air

1. Critical

Not really its Operating System...

The Curiosity runs VxWorks as its OS, and the JPL's flight software runs on top of that. The application layer is being upgraded.

2. Jet Set Willy

Tourist?

"Martian robot tourist" - more like "Martian robot immigrant" because it ain't coming back.

1. Oliver Mayes

Re: Tourist?

I'd like to think that one of the first manned missions would recover the rovers for them to be brought back as heroes.

2. John 62
      Happy

Re: Tourist?

Robot Tourist by Ten Benson is one of my favourite songs of all time :D

3. Annwyn

Amazing pics, but...

I've just been checking out the "First Hi-Res Color Mosaic of Curiosity's Mastcam Images" on the NASA site and is it just me, or do the "The black areas [indicating] images not yet returned by the rover." look more like redaction than missing data?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Amazing pics, but...

http://www.nasa.gov/images/content/676004main_pia16051-fullportal_full.jpg

Definitely redaction, there are clearly items of interest in the blacked out sections.... Let the conspiracy begin!

2. BlinkenLights

Not redaction, just not wasting bandwidth by sending back high-res pics of the rover.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Hiding the Truth about Space Nazis, more like.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Looks like Earth

... in that there are no harsh shadows and the sky is not black. This is presumably because of the martian atmosphere. But I'm surprised because the atmospheric pressure there is less than 1% of earth's. Perhaps daytime photos will look less earth-like.

1. Paul Kinsler

Re: Looks like Earth

It's worth noting that long-exposure photos of te (earth) night sky aren't black either - wait long enough and they look quite a nice daytime light blue colour (source: an OPN article a few years back, doi:10.1364/OPN.16.11.000018 )

1. ian mccallion

Nice to know, but I don't find it surprising. It does point up that we don't know light level and exposure time time of the Mars photos, and we are perhaps being tricked in seeing earth-like qualities.

1. Zot
          Thumb Up

The scary thing is, if they discover water then they are then going to suggest it was very much another Earth.

Which of course will get the 'look what we're doing to our own planet' brigade out on the streets again - "It will turn into Mars if we don't save it" - etc, etc.

5. johnnymotel
    FAIL

oh dear...

if the rocks are just below the surface, there goes the allotment plans.

1. Mr Young
      Thumb Up

Re: oh dear...

Good for foundations though - needed for the nuke plants, houses, pubs etc

6. Anonymous John

Patch Monday.

One day ahead of schedule then.

7. Slx

Is an OS upgrade not risky at that distance?

What I don't understand is why NASA would even risk an OS upgrade on a probe on Mars?

Surely you'd want a system like that 100% tested, tried, approved, validated, validated again and then validated a third time for good luck!

What if the OS upgrade had bricked the rover?!

1. Mr Young

Re: Is an OS upgrade not risky at that distance?

Doesn't Curiousty have ROM? The upgrade probably can't brick our trusty new robot - it'll just have a wee break while the metric version is downloaded?

2. JDX Gold badge

Since they are upgrading the software literally the moment it lands, I'm also confused why they didn't do it before take-off, considering how far ahead everything is planned.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Maybe someone did a jail break along the way and they were afraid that it would be used to download illegal mp3's

3. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
      Headmaster

> Surely you'd want a system like that 100% tested, tried, approved, validated, validated again and then validated a third time for good luck!

This is rather exactly what happens in the lab. Then the transmitted data is checksummed to hell and back.

This ain't Apple.

Still, does anyone remember the PRIORITY INVERSION PROBLEM THAT AFFECTED MARS PATHFINDER, HMMM? HMMMMM??

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Roaming charges

Can't be on O2; the data roaming charges for getting the OS upgrade would have bankrupted NASA...

9. Paul Hovnanian Silver badge

"resembled parts of the southwestern US."

Red states?

No aliens allowed?

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

what

Although I was a lowly computer programmer, I am wondering why this upgrade wasn't done before lift off? If something happened like errrr it blue screened, it would have been a easy and less embarrassing fix to have done all of this BEFORE they launched. donno.

11. Alistair MacRae
    Happy

Glad the update worked.

It'd be most sad to 'brick' the machine in the first week.

12. Alfred Pimble
    Paris Hilton

No geologists online today?

Clastic rocks, fine. Carstic rocks (so labelled when hovering over the image), I very much doubt.

Is the error with El Reg, or with NASA?

Paris, because, well, blindly following what your speelchucker tells you is just wrong.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like