back to article Microsoft RTMs final Windows 8 and Server 2012 code

Microsoft has confirmed that Windows 8 and Server 2012 have gone RTM and the final code is now in the hands of OEMs, ready to be tested and installed onto new systems. MSDN and TechNet subscribers can download the final Windows 8 build on August 15, and Redmond's reseller network gets it a day later. So do those with Software …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Chris Donald

Right tool...

After using it on the laptop, for half and hour, I'm not upgrading on anything that isn't touch focussed.

Having said that, I am inclined to try out and go for a surface pro if any good. To date my experience of new things is generally good. I hated apple but put aside prejudice to look at a tool for a job. The iPad 3 is excellent for reading and convenient computing of the less productive sort. Can't fault it. The surface appeals as I may be able to code on it in vs studio :)

And metro is bloody terrible, horrible, poor and well I come off the fence when I say diabolical for the desktop. It's simply the wrong tool. And it does break some design rules regarding usability of course. Interested in surface, uninterested in win 8 desktop.

2. vmistery
    Alert

Oh Windows 8. I will be hit with a terrible choice. Pay for a more expensive upgrade to windows 7 (from *cough* Vista) or to Windows 8 which looks kinda like a V-tec toy but will be cheaper. Windows 7 the new XP?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Windows 7 the new XP?

I don't like to think about it but it appears to me that's their plan.

My plan is to bury the XP production boxes. workstations essentially

SuSE 7 was an XP killer (if you didn't have 3rd party expensive ass hardware)

Win 7 failed cause it could not support 3rd party expensive ass hardware

The ppl at Microsoft need to drink more coffee.

1. RICHTO
        Mushroom

Re: Windows 7 the new XP?

How is selling 300 million copies and having over 90% market share 'failed'?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I've learnt my lesson.

I bought a Ford with Microsoft Sync. After 20miles the MS badge fell off. I'll have nothing to do with W8. Too risky and computer stuff is expensive.

1. Bob Vistakin
      FAIL

Re: I've learnt my lesson.

Speaking of Ford, look what happened when they teamed with the beast - their consumer satisfaction ranking went from a fifth to 23rd, all blamed on the MyFord Touch: http://www.dailytech.com/MyFord+Touch+Drop+Kicks+Ford+from+5th+to+23rd+in+JD+Power+IQS+Rankings/article21994.htm

Even Wikipedia struggles to find anything good to say: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MyFord_Touch

4. Anonymous IV
    Alert

The sound of wishful thinking...

"Microsoft is advising IT managers to start evaluating the code on Windows 7 machines first and then roll out any deployment side by side to minimize disruption, and to leave upgrading XP and Vista systems on the to-do list."

Yeah, right! (We start Monday...)

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

OctoSoft - The DRM is Cause we Can't afford all these Kids.

My requirements for a new windows os is backwards 100% compatibility with hardware all the way back to XP and DOS

IF it;s going to have some faggity window manager, It needs to also have command-line only. (then we can put our own GUI on it just like Enlightenment)

If It won't be useful for old stuff, regardless of the security problems it IS NOT worth it to update to the latest, and yeah just like ppl been saying, we'll be skipping 9, 10, 11, 12 as well. That's not to say in the next decade one of these new os's might become somewhat stable like XP. I'll be happy to play then, if we or you are still around. With all the new spying, and laws I doubt it. I doubt I would be able to speak my mind without being put on some terrorist, or political hit list.

That should scare the crap out of you Microsoft..

1. Captain Save-a-ho
      Meh

Re: OctoSoft - The DRM is Cause we Can't afford all these Kids.

I'm sure Microsoft is completely terrified now that some anonymous wanker threatened to avoid buying their software because it needs hardware capability with DOS. But keep dreaming big dreams, matey!

6. stephajn
    FAIL

August 15th and....??

Logged into my MSDN account today and looked and....what?? Nothing new there? Still showing only the release preview and release candidate versions of Visual Studio. What a letdown....

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like