back to article If Hotmail was a person it could have kids now. But it would be a crime

It's a slow day on the tech-news desk in the temporary Olympic capital of the world, London. But, with proper IT news being in short supply, more than one starving blogger has been forced to resort to writing a "my first pony" story about Hotmail, now that it's turning into Outlook.com. We take you now to a newsroom not far …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Spanners Silver badge
    Meh

Nearly 14 years.

I use the address to work with Microsoft sites that need to know it. I then use Gmail to pull it all in and delete a LOT of spam. The remainder are then nicely tagged so that I know where they came from.

2. Mike Flugennock

To drag things back on-topic...

Around 1993, when I got my first PPP Internet account and learned how to use Eudora and procmail, one of the first domains that went into my straight-into-the-shitcan list was hotmail.com. Never in the nearly twenty years I've had email did I see anything either delivered from hotmail -- or spoofed with hotmail.com as the "from" address -- that wasn't spam. In fact, in the mid '90s, throwing hotmail.com, along with yahoo.com and aol.com into my procmail "shitcan list" pretty much eliminated 90% of the spam aimed at my inbox.

So, I suppose I do have hotmail to thank for consolidating all that spam in one place so I could shitcan it all in one stroke.

I had a hotmail account very briefly about ten years ago -- actually logged into it only once or twice -- as a backup address for email while on the road and, as the article mentions, to provide a sacrificial email address for those obnoxious-assed Web sites which insist that I "register".

Of course, it seems that gmail.com has taken over that role recently; I had gmail.com in my SpamAssassin "shitcan without mercy" list for quite a while, until I was forced to open several gmail accounts to start a couple of blogs I run and my YouTube channel.

I also use them as my sacrificial email addresses to throw at aforementioned obnoxious-assed Web sites, and for order confirmations when I shop online, and as emergency backup addresses in case my own domains' email servers go down (rarely). I log onto them once or twice a week, maybe, to catch any stray email I may actually want to read, and to scrape out all the spam.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

this should be...

no question about it, after reading the first 4 or 5 paragraphs, this should be in the BOfH section :P

now i'll go back to reading [howard cosell] "the rest of the story" [/howard cosell] ;)

4. davefb
    Thumb Up

still use hotmail

Yes I get spam, but it's survived longer than any of the stupid email accounts.

gmail gets just too much spam.. my ISP one was forced to change address and it became 'web only' and not as good as hotmail interface... so yeah, hotmail it is..

1. Tom 13

Re: gmail gets just too much spam

Of all the accounts (and I've had quite a few) I've had, gmail gets the least spam, even in the spam box.

Signed up for a Live account (one of the many rebrands of Hotmail) when I was out of work and someone recommended I be on FB for job searching. Don't monitor it much anymore. When I did, all of the spam I got was my own fault (damn Monster).

The account where I see the most spam hitting the inbox instead of the designated spam folder is my Yahoo account. Which may explain some of their problems.

5. Qugoo
    Childcatcher

But...

If you don't check your mail you will miss all those great offers for, erm, medicine! It's great too - or will be when it arrives...I paid ages ago, they must be busy...

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like