Feeds

back to article McDonalds staff 'rough up' prof with home-made techno-spectacles

A man wearing computer-assisted spectacles was assaulted by staff in a Parisian McDonalds, who tried to pull the glasses off his head then threw him out of the restaurant, according to a blog post written by the victim. The staff seemed angered by the high-tech vision-ware worn by Dr Steve Mann who is an academic at the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Anonymous Coward

Re: Usually you are better of finding an italian or a german, ... (@Mephistro)

">That's bollocks!

They cook those, too?"

That would be the American Cowboy place, up the street. Ask for the Rocky Mountain Oysters.

Childcatcher

Re: Kids

You going to take your kids for steak tartare? Frog legs, oysters or escargots?

Just the other month I saw a 5yo in a restaurant in southern France tucking happily into a plate of Beef Carpaccio, so why not.

FAIL

RTFA

@Nick Ryan. One word numbnuts. Kids.

Silver badge

Re: RTFA

We did read the article. What the hell do you think French kids eat? I hope you aren't a parent. What kind of example are you setting your kids? Fast food is not better for them than traditional French cooking. Don't pass your own ignorant hangups onto another generation.

Silver badge

Re: The stuff on Dutch French Fries

Not as good as peanut sauce though!!!!!

Re: I draw the line at Whale \ Dolphin meat.

Ever eat shark?

A nice one inch thick slab cooked on a charcoal grille, not bad at all I'll say. A bit like tuna but not quite.

And a lot better than a shark eating you of course. Turning the tables, so to speak.

(and no, it's not a lawyers' joke!)

Silver badge

Re: I draw the line at Whale \ Dolphin meat.

Yeah, Shark n bake :-) I don't mind shark, I love ahi (tuna). The Whale \ Dolphin thing probably isn't based on the most rational basis, but I live surrounded by them (whales for maybe 3 months of the year, dolphins year round), they just feel like very special creatures. Not rational I know :-) Also like cod and some tuna stocks, they need time for their numbers to recover.

Anonymous Coward

I'm not an expert on German cuisine, but I know that at least bratwurst & sauerkraut is usually pretty good (and has sometimes been incredibly good - easily some of the best meals I have ever had, compares favorably to anything).

Perhaps you could say German cooking is a safer choice for a tourist - usually edible even when it is not so good?

Re: @Mr Tumnus

I visited London last year and stayed in a small hotel in the city centre. The food they served was some of the best I've eaten, at least that year.

Anonymous Coward

Re: @Mr Tumnus

Ya don't mean Flunch do ya? ;) Actually that was not bad veg a bit like you say, but I think they try to cheat by improving peoples' perception of the food, by getting people wasted on free drinks and spectacular amounts of Vin Rouge from the Mecha-Sommelier's tap ;)

Silver badge
Trollface

Re: an alsacian, restaurant

"I draw the line at Whale \ Dolphin meat"

Whats wrong with whale meat? I have more issues eating a dog than a whale.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XofGXKxpU2Y

And dolphin tastes like tuna.

Silver badge

Re: an alsacian, restaurant

Re whats wrong with whale meat, as I mentioned above it's probably not the most rational thinking, but when you get to swim around whales and dolphins all year (for dolphins, 3-4 months a year for whales) and see them eye to eye, they're special creatures. I really don't expect others to agree, I was just being honest.

I also think the stocks of some whale populations are too low to be fished sustainably right now. Some tuna and cod stocks are in a similar position. Fwiw I don't eat much if any cod and I am careful about where my ahi (tuna) comes from. It just makes sense not to overfish.

Flame

"Not pleased"

Assaulted by staff even after showing them the letter.

Usually I am against suing people but a lesson must be learnt here.

Anonymous Coward

Re: "Not pleased"

Suing them? He should have pasted them against the wall!

Anonymous Coward

Which would have made the beginnings of a great film in this case. Yoo-hoo Mr Besson!

Why did he need a doctor's letter? I can't think of any medical reason for needing to have video recording spectacles attached to your skulll.

Perhaps it was a letter from his psychiatrist.

To Whom it may concern,

This man is disturbed. Treat with caution.

Best Regards,

Dr.

Anonymous Coward

But what better choice...

...if you had to recommend a restaurant in Paris, to Kevin Warwick?

Bronze badge

this is normal french customer service right?

Silver badge
Linux

He must have just ordered the Meal Deal, you should see what happens if you order a Pineapple Milkshake!

Anonymous Coward

Funnily enough...

... I never had any problem with French waiters. Just be a nice person and they'll be nice too.

The thing you gotta remember is, service charges are always included in the bill there. Waiters don't rely on tips for survival, so they don't have to put up with assholes and can afford to cut them down to size.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Funnily enough...

Nothing wrong with French waiters - it's more like a profession than a job (except for the one that got stroppy, merely because I complained necause there were maggots in the cheese).

But McDonalds staff are McDonalds staff the world over.

Silver badge

I don't see the link between restaurant waiters and McD staff... We're not talking silver service here, we're talking about some knuckle dragging monkey handing you a plastic tray, or pushing round a floor mop and bucket.

The problem I think is that people refer to McDonalds as a 'restaurant' (which it plainly is not). Of course this is enforced by MuckDonalds PR and marketing.

Silver badge
Linux

Quite. It's a hamburger stand with indoor seating.

Anonymous Coward

On the other hand...

The picture makes him look like one of the Borg.

No wonder they were trying to get him out of there. Who knows where it might have lead?

Borg? Nah

More like VISOR v.0.001-pre-alpha.

Joke

He should have **takes off sunglasses, folds and puts them in top pocket of shirt** seen that coming

*Guitar burst from the Who*

Anonymous Coward

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Anonymous Coward

Should have gone to...

Specsavers

Gold badge
WTF?

Must be endemic in France.

There was I thinking it was just "Les Flics" who were in the habit of dishing out a good, solid jackbooted stamp to any piece of electronics in your posession that they didn't like the look of. Now I see this.

Maybe they're just all Bolshie LudditesFrench?

Anonymous Coward

Re: Must be endemic in France.

You had an OLD iPhone? Sacre-bleu!!!

Nev
Coat

Naked?

If, as his headshot appears to suggest, he was naked at the time I'm not surprised the surly Parisiens got the hump and booted him out on his a derriere.

For god's sake, put a coat on, man!

(Either that or they thought he was a really bad covert documentary maker...)

Silver badge

The French

It had nothing to do with the glasses at all, that's just what happens when you order McDonalds in france. It enragees them so much that you're eating cheap shit they just can't help themselves.

Also if I were there I would have tried to help the guy out, not because I feel sorry for him (although I do) just an excuse to swing at a frenchman.

Re: The French & cheap shit

The guy who assaulted him was the owner of the restaurant.

http://hardware.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=2983577&cid=40671489

http://www.20minutes.fr/article/801524/incroyable-destin-khader-directeur-mcdo-champs-elysees

DMH
Terminator

Cyborg uprising

Kudos to the McDonalds staff for their "hit first, hit hard" policy with regards to the impending cyborg uprising.

Coffee/keyboard

Re: Cyborg uprising

New keyboard please!

Paris Hilton

Re: Cyborg uprising

Yeah, I was thinking this should be filed under RotM; human victory.

/Paris, for want of a WIN icon

Coffee/keyboard

Somebody tell La Forge

Someone warn Jordy La Forge, no "Le Big Mac" for him.

Seriously though this guy was assaulted by a member of staff and the police haven't done anything? For wearing what effectively is a small camera attached to his glasses.

Parisian police #fail

TRT
Silver badge

Re: Somebody tell La Forge

Of course, at this point he could have done with a 6'8" Klingon backing him up...

Sure, but you know if Worf had been there he'd have cleaned up one or two of the guys and then had his ass completely kicked by whoever was left.

TRT
Silver badge

And then agonise about it to Troy for hours afterwards...

And then they'd make a vague gesture in the direction of a "will they won't they" relationship subplot, except there's no point because the various writers never acknowledge one another's existence save at gunpoint, so it just wastes scarce episode minutes and pisses everybody off.

TRT
Silver badge

I hear she likes to get her hands on a Mars Bar.

Holmes

I wondered that also

"WTF was he doing in a McDonalds in Paris anyway? Paris allegedly home to cuisine cooking after all..."

I wondered also why my collaques go to "local mcdonalds" in Paris. After visiting couple of restaurants, I do not wonder. Such a crap is seldomly thrownt to a plate that in Paris. And prices are 3x to Germany, for example. Old visdom: If someone starts phrase with word "allegdy", the rest of the story does not usually base on truth.

Note - this is not applicable outside of Paris; at least to my experience.

WTF?

Coming soon..

Nicolas Cage in Terminator 5

Alert

The bit that freaked me out...

"The eyeglass is permanently attached and does not come off my skull without special tools."

Blimey o'Reilly.

Silver badge

Re: The bit that freaked me out...

Tell me about it. I didn't realise technology had reached that sort of point. I recall a documentary a few years back about a system that was designed to try and give some limited vision to people who were completely blind by crudely stimulating the visual cortex with implanted electrodes fed from a camera, but that was enormously clunky and only showed a few tens of dots. What this guy is wearing seems almost Star Trek in comparison.

Anonymous Coward

Does he have a Special Tool in his shower, or is it waterproof? ;)

Anonymous Coward

He wrong. Dremel.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.