back to article Being a skinny is much more unhealthy than being fat – new study

Yet another study has shown that the so-called "obesity" epidemic sweeping the wealthy nations of the world has been massively over-hyped, as new results show that is is far more dangerous to be assessed as "underweight" than it is to be assessed even as "severely obese" - let alone merely "obese" or "overweight". "There is …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
      1. frank ly

Re: BMI is garbage

No,... Twice the waist measurement should be less than the height.

2. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: BMI is garbage

Bugger - I was only a couple of pies away from my goal!

1. Andy 36
    Meh

BMI is crap

There are many factors that make up weight, BMI just serves to scare people into acting and doesn't do a very good job at that.

We all got to die sometime, some with be in agony because they chose to live an unhealthy existence, some will slip quietly away and the rest because they kept nagging about housework...

2. Pete 2 Silver badge

There's more to life than death

This study is all very well, but it doesn't take into account quality of life.

I'm sure it's a great consolation to the "blobs" that they will live as long as ordinary-sized people. But what will their lives be like? Will the enjoyment factor be the same for someone who is able to lead an active life: kicking a football with their kids/grandchildren, as it is for those who can only sit on the sofa and watch TV?

Similarly, if it takes you 10 minutes to recover from walking upstairs, will you have the same optimistic, happy, positive attitude as a slimline version of you who bounds up them; two at a time?

So while life expectancy may well be the obvious factor in the fat vs. thin debate, the ability to enjoy your allotted time is just as important.

3. Tom Wood

"Study based on bollocks measurement proves I'm right"

If, as the author asserts, BMI is a largely useless measurement (which I am inclined to agree with) then you can't also say "being skinny is much more unhealthy than being fat".

Firstly, body weight is NOT necessarily linked that closely to "fatness" (which is partly why BMI is a crap metric). You can be skinny and also have a fairly high percentage of body fat; you can also be heavy and have a low or normal percentage of body fat (e.g. many athletes). Further, two skinny people with the same % body fat could still have different health levels - one may exercise regularly, the other not; one may smoke, the other not, etc. The same applies to people at the other end of the BMI scale.

So yes, BMI is a fairly useless measure. And therefore the conclusion in the headline isn't really accurate.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "Study based on bollocks measurement proves I'm right"

"And therefore the conclusion in the headline isn't really accurate."

I could have told you that from the name written under it...

2. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: "Study based on bollocks measurement proves I'm right"

Added to which, it's probably only abdominal fat (in men) that does any real harm. You can have moobs the size of $actress of the day$ but it's the love handles that kill you.

4. David Barrett

"It was considerably safer to be "severely obese": the people in this category were just 1.26 times as likely to die as 'normals'"

Funny, I would have thought that they would be just as likely to die as anyone else (100% certainty, given enough time)

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

That's why I recently took up smoking - you are only 25% likely to die according to the government

5. xyz Silver badge
    Devil

Being American and fat is healthy study finds

...sponsored by the Burger Chains of America methinks.

Fat is the new thin then?

6. Ben 50
    FAIL

SHOCKING REVELATION! HOT NEWS!!!

Lewis Page is being contrary! His article flys in the face of established research, using research which doesn't agree with him when read properly! Reaches new heights of Trolling, or new depths of something else!

7. Graham Wilson
    Unhappy

We could give up.

With all the conflicting pronouncements from the 'knowledgeable' about health that I've heard across my lifetime I've learned only one thing for certain. With health, outside a few generalisations, we still seem to know bugger all about it.

8. This post has been deleted by its author

9. thegrouch

To paraphrase Bill Hicks

We fatties have got all kinds of shit to cure us, statins, liposuction, gastric bypass. It's you skinnies dying of nothing who are screwed!

10. Neil Hoskins
    FAIL

Here we go again...

I think you may be confusing correlation with causation. Underweight people are probably underweight due to an underlying pathology; that is, they're already ill. Overweight people are likely to be overweight because they eat too much but are otherwise healthy... for the time being.

1. breakfast Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Re: Here we go again...

This is an important point- strong weight loss is often an indicator of cancer, among other things. That alone is highly likely to affect the mortality outcomes for a lot of underweight people.

2. Spotfist

Re: Here we go again...

Thank you so much for saving me a few mins and putting my exact thoughts to "paper", I wonder how many "thin" people happened to be drug users too... Surely if you are going to start removing sample data (diabetics as an example) then why not remove drug users, alchoholics etc. Also how do these thin people die? Does every fat person die of a heart attack but the thinnies are all dieying of old ages becasue it just so happens that 90% of the thin cohort are all over 90?

11. Jason Stokes
    FAIL

Morbidity vs Mortality

The 'obesity epidemic' isn't a problem of mortality rates.

It's a crisis because of the massive public healthcare costs associated with managing / treating morbidity from chronic (long term) illnesses, most of which are preventable through sensible lifestyle choices. Most of which also happen to limit obesity.

Nobody in the public healthcare sector worries if you die quickly & cheaply.

1. Arbuthnot Darjeeling

@Nobody in the public healthcare sector worries if you die quickly & cheaply.

- unless you've just been found fit for work by Atos

12. Pat 11

Skinny's

The effect of removing diabetes from the model is much greater on the underweights.

http://www.jabfm.org/content/25/4/422.full

Fig1

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Possibly because 'underweight' is a bucket from 0 to 18.5, whereas overweight, extremely overweight and obese is nicely graduated. Crunch the numbers again with underweight being 15-18.5, very underweight being 12-15, and skeletal being <12, and see if being merely 'underweight' increases mortality...

14. SuperTim

weight != health != Fitness

All of these measures are only pointers. You could be at your ideal weight, but be a heavy smoker and not do any exercise, and you will die early. You could be 9 stone overweight because you are a shot-putter, and not die early. You could be fat and still be able to run a mile, or you could be thin and fall over at 200 yards due to your congenital heart condition making you weak as a kitten. Eat a sensible diet, try and do some vigorous activity and don't smoke or drink a lot and you will probably have a good long life.

Live healthily and your body will find it's own equilibrium, which may not be the same as somebody else's.

15. Captain Underpants
    Thumb Down

Oh, FFS, talk about diddling the statistics to get the answer you want!

Having a look at the abstract, they've just lumped everyone below "normal" into the "underweight" category. There are several underweight categories (very severely underweight is <49kg, severely underweight is <52kg, underweight is <60kg, normal being 60-80kg), just like there are several overweight categories. Of course you'll find that being "underweight" is bad for you if you decide to treat "a couple of kg below normal" in the same way as "malnourished & anorexic" for statistical purposes.

Also, if you're going to decide that the only concerns about obesity are medical conditions that result in death, you're going to miss out (at all points on the spectrum) being able to compare relative actual health, especially when (and here's the important bit) the entire study is based on self-reported information. This wasn't monitored, they weren't checked for other conditions that might relate to their body mass, they just got "A self-administered questionnaire includ(ing) items about respondent smoking and health conditions."

There are problems with BMI, and bigger problems with how parts of the medical establishment use it, but this study is far from the Smoking GNU Lewis misrepresents it as being.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Oh, FFS, talk about diddling the statistics to get the answer you want!

Goddamn it: And there was I trusting Lewis to highlight any minor issues with the paper regardless of if they backed up his pet theories or not, in the name of good journalism. He has failed me, and my confidence is shattered. :o(

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Accidents.

Sitting in front of the telly eating burgers is a very safe activity.

1. Magnus_Pym

Re: Accidents.

Quick tell Elvis it's OK. He's not going to die, Oh no wait...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

It was having a shit that killed him, not sitting in front of the telly.

1. Magnus_Pym

You seem to be suggesting that taking a dump is unhealthy and should be avoided (see what I did there).

17. Magnus_Pym

Study shows that...

... being the 'right' weight for your height is most healthy weight. Who'd have guessed?

1. Pete 2 Silver badge

Re: Study shows that...

I see. So the real problem is that I'm 4 feet too short?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: the real problem is that I'm 4 feet too short?

- that's how I always explain my BMI, although in my case it's a couple of metres. Anon for obvious reasons

18. Andy 18
    Holmes

Confused

I may be missing the point but it seems like this report saying that people who are starving to death are more likely to die than people who are well fed?

1. tony2heads
      Holmes

also

people are 3 dimensional!

19. A J Stiles
    Big Brother

Yes, BUT

The moral panic was never really about obesity in the first place. That was all just a convenient excuse.

It's about making people feel guilty by convincing them that they have made bad choices, so that they will be less reluctant to give up the freedom to make those choices.

The Government want to be able to tell you what to eat (actually, they want to be able to tell you what to think, but telling you what to eat is just one small part of that). People -- quite understandably -- don't want to be told what to eat. Therefore, the Government have to engage in various levels of subterfuge, until people are ready to crawl through broken glass begging to be told by the Government what to eat.

1. Daggersedge

Re: Yes, BUT

'The moral panic was never really about obesity in the first place. That was all just a convenient excuse.

It's about making people feel guilty by convincing them that they have made bad choices, so that they will be less reluctant to give up the freedom to make those choices.

The Government want to be able to tell you what to eat (actually, they want to be able to tell you what to think, but telling you what to eat is just one small part of that).'

Yes, it is a convenient excuse, but not because the government wants to tell you what to think. It's a convenient excuse for putting more taxes on things such as 'fatty' foods and sugary soft drinks. The government is using the moral panic to make it look as if it is helping people by whacking these taxes on various foods and drinks.

Whenever a government anywhere declares something to be bad, but doesn't ban that something, then you can bet it's a tax-raising exercise.

1. A J Stiles
        Black Helicopters

I don't dispute that it's about raising taxes, but what will happen is this:

1. The Government groom the public to believe that they are a bunch of unhealthy slobs who need to be protected from themselves. (This is happening now.)

2. Claiming popular support, the Government impose taxes on "unhealthy" foods.

3. The scope of the "unhealthy foods" tax is gradually widened, budget by budget, as new reasons are invented to tax new foods. ("Let's tax potatoes -- after all, they can be made into chips!")

4. Eventually, you won't be able to buy an oil-free, egg-free, vinegar-free, salt-free, taste-free organic rocket salad without paying tax on it.

Taxing food is the holy grail. Everybody's got to eat, and most people aren't in a position to avoid the tax by growing their own food (which probably will be quietly outlawed in some apparently-unrelated bill in the meantime anyway). But there's still a little bit of mind-control somewhere behind all this.

2. AdamWill

Yes, the government's definitely the one involved in the campaign to determine what people eat. Definitely not the fast food industry which lobbies to advertise its wares in schools, not at all.

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

As a 6 foot 7 inch man weighing 18.5 stone I'm classified as borderline obese.

However I only have 7% body fat.

Did this study look at people with a high level of body fat, or people classified as BMI overweight?

1. Captain Underpants

@AC 11:31

From what I can see the study was entirely based on self-reported evidence, and calculated BMI based on reported height and body mass. No measurements for body fat or muscle mass were taken.

It is, at best, an example of how poor application of a simplistic and blunt tool like BMI can result in confusing or incorrect information. At worst, it's bad science and FUD mixed together.

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Remarkable research

Which tells us one thing:

Eat a balanced diet, get some exercise.

Not massively difficult, eh?

Well, actually, it is. That's half the problem. We're constantly bombarded by mixed messages in advertising - your too fat / eat this hamburger!

It makes common sense harder to listen to - this constant babble about food, health, exercise, obesity, anorexia - so what's up exactly?

Growing up in the 70's and 80's I don't recall any of this ever being an issue - being really fat or really skinny was rare. Most people were just average.

But I remember back then, being skinny was a sign of being ill - just as it is today.

Being obese was generally just someone who ate too much. No big deal, "cut down on your pork life mate"

22. Zot

Almost as if the author thinks that everybody that reads old Reg. is a fatty!

On a more serious note, being over OR underweight is a problem for ALL animals, including humans.

Diabetes can make you blind, but that's OK, it won't kill you, so you're not part of the statistics!

23. JDX Gold badge

Presumably what you ate to get fat is also important? e.g. just eating too much healthy home-cooked food is better than getting fat off McD and pizza?

1. MJI Silver badge

Food

I think this is my problem, sedentary job and home cooked food

24. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Your chance of death is 100%

How do you know you won't get run over by a bus tonight?

1. Some Beggar

Re: Your chance of death is 100%

The nearest bus route is about 50km away and the nearest road is 200m away.

Do you know something that I don't ... ?

2. IronSteve

Re: Your chance of death is 100%

"Your chance of death is 100%"

While I agree with this statement, there's a small (delusional) part of me that thinks I'll live forever

25. Graeme Sutherland
    Boffin

The BMI is pointless argument is common amongst serious gym goers, but I'm not entirely convinced.

There have been a few studies that show that a trainer who doesn't use steroids can expect to gain lean mass to the point where their Fat Free Mass Index (FFMI), which is their BMI ignoring body fat, is around 25. (The boffins who did the work added a small adjustment, but it's not far off.)

If someone is above this limit then either they're underestimating their body fat (which seems very common), or pumping themselves full of drugs (which can have unfortunate and damaging side effects). The hypothetical bodybuilder with a BMI of 40 is probably rather unhealthy.

So someone of my height (6'3" / 1.9 meters) could expect to build a maximum lean weight of 215 lbs / 88 kg. Working back through the numbers, at a BMI of 30 (108 kg), such an individual would be around 19% body fat, which is getting towards the overweight category. At 117 kg, which gives a BMI of 32.5, body fat would be around 25%, which is considered obese in men.

I reckon that BMI has some merit, and a lot of those who say it doesn't count because they pump iron have a habit of being on the slightly chunky side, despite their impressive biceps.

26. Alex King
    FAIL

Journal of the American Board of Family Medicine

Oh dear. get it in the Lancet or the BMJ or something half credible and I may start to believe you. Lewis - go report to Ben Goldacre for a lesson in good science, 'cos this isn't it, for the many reasons described above. Actually, it's not good journalism either, as the source evaluation is shoddy too.

I'm not familiar with the exact journal in question, but most publications with the terms "Family" and "American" in them tend to be of a christian, capitalist, right-wing flavour and have an agenda. That agenda is unlikely to have much in common with impartial health advice.

1. Figgus

Re: Journal of the American Board of Family Medicine

Interestingly, anything with European or Social names tend to have a left leaning agenda which is ALSO unlikely to have much in common with impartial health advice.

How about common sense and a rational middle ground? The BMI is not terribly useful in all reality, and it is still clearly unhealthy to be a tub of goo who never gets any exercise or good food.

The point I took away from the article is that BMI is shifted too far in one direction, perhaps going by body fat would make more sense? I'd like to see the same study, but reworking the results with bodyfat as well as BMI. I bet the ranges would be much more sensible with real life health.

27. Dick Pountain

Dracula?

people who are underweight (by BMI) are TWICE as likely to die as 'normal' BMI people, and that severely obese people (again by BMI) are only 25% more likely to die

If we eliminate all vampires from our figures, all human beings of whatever BMI are 100% likely to die. Get over it. (Anyone know what Lewis Page weighs?)

This topic is closed for new posts.