Feeds

back to article Burnt Samsung Galaxy S III singed by external source, probe reveals

Pictures showing a heat-damaged Samsung Galaxy S III smartphone were seemingly the result of a bonkers bid to dry out a wet handset by heating it in a microwave oven. The snaps appeared online last month. They showed an S III with burn damage down near the phone's Micro USB port. The battery was intact and undamaged. Samsung …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Anonymous Coward

Filtered?

Is their's usually lumpy?

Facepalm

Wash & spin-

I left a 16Gb USB memory stick in my jeans pocket once and my wife washed them on the 55 min cycle on our Bosch washer. 3 days in the airing cupboard for the byteStor memory stick fixed it fine. Have I got a got a good USB stick or a crap washer?

Anonymous Coward

Re: Wash & spin-

A crap washer, your wife really should know better!

Boffin

Re: Wash & spin-

As someone else said, I have numerous times washed memory sticks in the machine, no action taken other than checking no visible water on them, still worked fine straight away afterwards. Same for my car keys (two different manufacturers) even though they have a battery.

h3
Bronze badge

I have never had any type of flash memory (micro sd / sd or usb stick) that has had a problem with going through the wash. (Used them as soon as they looked reasonably dry) always worked fine.

Happy

Re: Not the sharpest tool in the box

Noticed that he called himself `Dillo` in his apology post - shouldn't that be dildo?

Anonymous Coward

phone shop

we would strip phone down pop it into a sonic bath with Isopropyl alcohol, then take it out leave to dry and more often then not they would come back to life. ( you could rinse it with de-ionized water after isopropyl if wanted then leave to dry)

the sonic bath was from argos, all it was a plastic bath with what looked like the vibrator things off/out of mobile phones under it so they would vibrate the bath.

Bronze badge

sadly in this day and age...

the phones are not waterproof...

it's NOT rocket science guys... or does it cost too much per unit when set against the bad will caused by customers having to fork out for water damage...

Anonymous Coward

Re: sadly in this day and age...

From know techniques, waterproofing is done by vapour deposition of a thin film over the finished parts. However this is a slow process and uniformly doing it in quantity (e.g. for whole trays of phones) IS rocket science (or fluid dynamics, which may be worse). Not sure how well that particular nut has been cracked yet. When you have production lines churning out millions upon millions of devices they can't afford to have slow bottlenecks, especially at the very end of production.

Anonymous Coward

Another warning sticker

I wonder if this incident will cause a "DO NOT PLACE IN MICROWAVE OVEN" warning sticker to appear on new cell phones.

Silver badge

Re: Another warning sticker

But where will that end? A 190g smartphone weighted down by 1kg worth of stickers?

Charged for the investigative work?

Seeing as this person was essentially trying to pull a fast one. Looking at the forum, he was trying to claim for a phone and damage to his car; shouldn't he have to pay for the investigation (which involved reproducing the fault by destroying other test units) and pay some compensation to Samsung for the damage done to their reputation? I feel he should be punished more than a bit of web ridicule.

Bronze badge

Rehab

If you want to boil off the water without microwaves or heat damage, how about putting the phone in the Rehab vacuum chamber and lowering the pressure a bit?

Silver badge

Re: Rehab

Just as long as there isn't anywhere that water or air can get trapped until it's exerting nearly an atmosphere of pressure, followed by a tiny pop or crack that's nevertheless quite fatal.

The best places to dry out wet electronics are an airing cupboard, or a machine room with air-con. In both cases, leave it for a good few days.

Bronze badge

My phone is water proof, just this weekend I abandoned it during a heavy downpour and it was sitting under 2" of water when I went back to it.

As for the earlier posts about electricity and buckets, Birds manage to sit on 500,000 volt power cables without a problem; and I have pulled 300amp fuses from a 660v gantry crane without feeling a thing.

(by accident I should add - I isolated the fuse board, or so I thought - some dipstick had wired it back-to-front!!).

Bronze badge

BTW

I wash my keyboards and mice in the dish washer, using the bath is too much hassle.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.