Feeds

back to article Foxconn daddy: 'Don't buy Galaxy S III, wait for iPhone 5'

Samsung's highly anticipated Android-based Galaxy S III smartphone may be basking in attention that it's receiving during its official launch on Wednesday, but there's at least one top tech exec who's snubbing it. Terry Gou, the "pugnacious" chairman of Hon Hai, the parent company of iPhone and iPad maker Foxconn, advises that …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Silver badge
Thumb Down

Sorry I already have a Samsung Galaxy S3, and why would I wait for more of the same?

Really I am not expecting the iPhone 5 to be anything that different from the iPhone 4 or iPhone 3G

really they don't change much, although I would be VERY happy to see something revolutionary rather than evolutionary and obvious from apple for a change....

I am not saying the SGS3 is revolutionary, but its a damn good, well designed, powerful, smart phone....

Anonymous Coward

Yes, the SGS3 just has a worse camera quality than now 8 months's old 4S [GSM Arena], old Pentile display technology, a bad copy of Siri easily beaten by the 8 month's old original, all wrapped hastily in a ugly and boring plastic body.

Plus you you'll only get the next major Android update 1 year after it's released.

Other that than it's a well designed, powerful smart phone.

"worse camera quality than now 8 months's old 4S [GSM Arena], old Pentile display technology, a bad copy of Siri easily beaten by the 8 month's old original"

None of which i use. Oh - and i'll put a CyanogenMod on it if no update for a year - just like i did with my Droid Eris. Speaking of update - here is and iOS version history for you: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOS_version_history

Sir, you talk shit

I've got a Samsung galaxy nexus and my Mrs an I phone 4s. Mine pisses all over it (and here is the important bit) IN MY OPINION.

Talking to your phone to ask "what time is it" just makes you look a twat whether iOS or android. Its a pointless feature. I'm not saying siri isn't slickly done, it is (well, when its the right kind of question anyway). Camera on the 4s isn't amazing either. No phone cameras really are. My nexus has less lag though.

But like Ive said before, horses for courses. She loves hers, I love mine and neither of us sees what the other sees in theirs. Its called individuality and choice. Long may it live.

Anonymous Coward

What's with the urination fetish and Android? Do they really leak that badly? It's almost a meme.

Anonymous Coward

Don't worry iPhone fans

The Samsung Galaxy S3 won't get to piss on your phone. It will burst into flames and melt before that:

http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/20/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-melts/

WTF?

Bitter much?

"Yes, the SGS3 just has a worse camera quality than now 8 months's old 4S [GSM Arena], old Pentile display technology, a bad copy of Siri easily beaten by the 8 month's old original, all wrapped hastily in a ugly and boring plastic body."

Ha ha! You're near as bitter as that Foxconn arsehole. Can never understand how your average product, whether it be phones, tins of cola, or choice of burger bar can cause such raised emotions amongst those that are (most likely) merely consumers with no vested interest in the success of either. Bizarre.

(note to Register: from now on, just make it "Anonymous C", so I can in my head read those letters which form the most appropriate ending)

Anonymous Coward

Keith 17

You're the one who being extraordinaliry bitter, even personally insulting fellow commentards (and Foxconn employees) over a discussion about phone features.

Re: Keith 17

Trust me, if I was feeling bitter I wouldn't be laughing so hard I nearly spat my coffee out.

Go

Re: Don't worry iPhone fans

Is that how the owner of said phone contained the conflagration ?

Anonymous Coward

Not that I know a lot about the Far East

but the Chinese-Korean antipathy seems a bit odd. You'd think they'd both be still upset with the Japanese if anything.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Not that I know a lot about the Far East

You're missing a crucial detail.. It's Chinese - South Korean antipathy... You know China supports the other one, right?

Re: Not that I know a lot about the Far East

Another missed detail: Terry Gou is Taiwanese - the losers in that little stoush in 1949. So he's unlikely to share any Chinese antipathy toward South Korea. Or just maybe, such considerations are irrelevant to in the world of big business and this is purely about his product vs Samsung's. Nothing to see here, and even less to analyse.

Anonymous Coward

Terry Gou is Taiwanese ... So he's unlikely to share any Chinese antipathy toward South Korea.

hahahaha good one.

Guess which country has the most - and largest - Foxconn factories.

I'd say Mr Gou has no option but share all and everything the Chinese have.

Meh

Why?

As far as I can tell, phones are reaching that almost flat bit of the evolutionary curve that all technology goes through where this year's model is barely any different to last year's model. It's not worth upgrading from a 5 year old car to a brand new one because you're spending a lot for an extra 1mpg.

I have a Nexus S and I've tried the Galaxy S2. The javascript is faster and the menus smoother, but I'm not thinking that I want to lock myself into another contract to get an upgrade.

If the iPhone 5 does something revolutionary (and not Apple's definition of revolutionary) then I'll take a look, but I anticipate that what we're really looking at is another bump upgrade.

Thumb Up

Re: Why?

exactly, I also upgrade only if it's really worth it (3G -> 4, skipped 3GS and 4S) - after all it's just a phone

Anonymous Coward

Clearly VERY worried about the S3

Must know the specs of the iphone5 then...

If you want to see a company REALLY dump on it's users, how about Nokrosoft...

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57456655-94/no-windows-phone-8-upgrade-for-current-devices/?tag=mncol

Devil

This, from the guy who has to put nets around his factories to make sure people finish their shift

and who did/does whatever Apple wants, even if the employees are under duress.

Stop

Re: This, from the guy who has to put nets around his factories...

Hello,

I believe if you look into the statistics, the suicide rate amongst Foxconn employees is actually lower than that of the general Chinese population (related to the fact that Foxconn is in the top 10 largest companies-by-workforce in the world).

Cant be arsed to look up the reference, please feel free.

wim
WTF?

hahahaha

Japanese direct style of communication. Where has he been living ?

Japan where yes means yes but can also mean no.

Silver badge
Trollface

"Foxconn Daddy"

When reading the headline I thought this was new Reg nomenclature for Tim Cook, similar to "Foxconn Rebrander" meaning Apple...

Bronze badge

Competition bashing

I must say I was somewhat surprised during the last Apple keynote because of the way they kept bashing Samsung and Android and now this guy continues the meme.

To me they looked like wannabes pretending to be bigger than they are.

Do Apple fans need that kind of validation? Don't they get it from Apple store employees applauding while the fans parade with their just-bought kit?

Anonymous Coward

Dodgy Terry Gou giving dodgy advice to dodgy Apple dodgy iPhone purchasers.

Go figure! He's just jealous that Samsung snitched on him and his shady practices. Typical that Apple would get into bed with him!

The iPhone5 needs to make toast, do the dishes and put them away, to get anywhere near close the the SGSIII.

Thumb Down

the Apple virus ...

... here we go again, the Apple virus: "Make it Personal" is spreading ... it is as infectious as religion ...

Unhappy

I can't help noticing

that all the cool kids have Samsung phones these days. But what can Apple expect, when their phones have looked identical for years. In yoof-mobile-land, Apple just ain't cool any more.

Anonymous Coward

Re: I can't help noticing

Haven't Samsung smartphones been very similar too?

Plastic clones of an iPhone.

Anonymous Coward

Whatever.

It's just FUD, and not even subtle FUD.

Silver badge
Coat

iPhone 5??

Five? Is that the number of Foxconn employees who die producing each phone?

Ok! Ok!! I'm leaving!!!

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.