back to article Another investor pulls out of Habbo Hotel after grooming claims

Investors are pulling out of Finnish social networking firm Sulake and its teen-aimed website Habbo Hotel after revelations that Habbo was hosting illicit content. Private equity firm 3i announced today that it had left Sulake's board and was ditching its 16 per cent stake in Habbo Hotel, a social gaming network and online …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Trollslayer

So habbo just didn't bothe

They put kids at risk and then lie.

The more publicity for the kind of behaviour the better.

2. Anonymous C0ward
    Holmes

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Groomed by other kids? Or groomed by 40-year-old truckers called Dave?

3. LordHighFixer
    Devil

Posing as 13?

There comes a time in your life when you can no longer "pose" as 13. You have learned to much, and much of your innocence is gone. You can enter your age on your profile as 13, but that is about as far as it goes, you will react at your actual age level. You might be able to pull it off for a while, but if anyone talks to you for any length of time, your cover will be blown.

They should just shut down and put in a link to SecondLife. At least in SL everyone pretends to be 25 and says everyone is a pervert, except them, while standing naked covered in molasses and holding a chicken....

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Posing as 13?

Obligatory Monkey Dust ref! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wkGUtCOxPA

4. Gordon 10

So just how

Do you tell 'grooming' by a raging hormones 13 year old pretending to be say 15 from a real paedo sweating at home doing the same thing? Did they actually cam with them.

I've lurked in many a chat room on many a service and know of no good way to even take a wild ass guess on the age of my fellow denizens even after seeing them chat for weeks or months.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: So just how

A friend of mine was trying to meet a 40year old FBI agent online and all she got was 13year olds pretending to be FBI agents.

5. Tank boy
    Trollface

Surely you can't be serious. I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.

6. LaeMing
    Megaphone

Moderated <> Monitored

People! The site claims to be moderated. Not monitored. That means they are not in a position to find the issues unless they hear about them, namely by people actually using the reporting mechanisms.

What is reported as happening is sick, but going off as if the Hotel had claimed it had people listening in on every single conversation and watching every single room is a bit ... dumb.

7. Chris Sake
    FAIL

Ban lovely leafy rural areas

We are told that, “...There isn’t a town, village or hamlet in which children are not being sexually exploited.”

[http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/9327534/Child-abuse-taking-place-in-every-town-village-and-hamlet-in-England.html]

This is not responded to at all by the authorities, except to tell us that the new "internet super-snoop law" will save us.

Is not it curious that news about Habbo is released at the same time as a plethora of articles appear in the press on the topic of paedophiles? At the same time as this new law is being promulgated, no less!

Will investors pull out of Facebook as well, given that children have been groomed - or worse - via that site?

<rant> It is the responsibility of parents to safeguard their children from unwanted attention, whether it is on the Internet, at the local kebab shop, or within our "lovely leafy rural areas." The nanny state has arisen and prospered, in part, due to the failure of many parents in accepting this responsibility. </rant>

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.