back to article Apple adds gay and lesbian icons to iOS 6 messaging

Apple's next-generation mobile operating system, iOS 6, will include oh-so-cute 'n' cuddly gay and lesbian emoji couples for your texting and emailing enjoyment. Not that there's anything wrong with that. The two hand-holding couples are nestled among their heterosexual brothers and sisters – although, for reasons we at The …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
      1. Franklin
        FAIL

Re: My only question for the idiots against gay marriage is ...

"To go through the legislative process and force a redefinition of the word by law seems like political activism overriding the will of the majority (at least in the US) which doesn't go down well."

How very strange, considering that the majority in the US favors gay marriage[1].

Still, I get your point. It was terrible--just terrible!--when marriage got redefined in 1000 AD to be between one man and one woman instead of between one man and many woman. It's shocking and appalling, I say, when people discard tradition like that. Redefining marriage to be one man and one woman! As though thousands of years of tradition wasn't good enough!

And then those activist judges really got to work. Why, they overrode the will of the majority and said that marriage could be extended to encompass a union of a black person and a white person. What were they thinking, trouncing all over tradition and the will of the majority that way?

I say, go back to what marriage REALLY means. Return to the roots of marriage, before everyone started mucking it up with all this politically correct nonsense. Marriage is between one man and a bunch of women who he either buys from their fathers or he rapes and then marries after paying a fine to the local judge. That kind of marriage was good enough for the earliest civilizations, and it should be good enough for us[2].

[1] http://www.gallup.com/poll/154634/Acceptance-Gay-Lesbian-Relations-New-Normal.aspx

[2] Warning: Some parts of this post may contain sarcasm and should not be taken literally. Which bits are sarcastic will be left as an exercise to the reader.

2. toadwarrior

Even if you believe that the meaning of words change. That's a fact, otherwise going saying you feel gay would have an entirely different meaning than it has now.

3. schnide
        Facepalm

"I have deep affection for my dogs, they live with me and have done for longer than most marriages last, there is mutual affection and support. Why can this not be a marriage? It isn't a marriage because it doesn't fall under the definition of the word "marriage". I have two dogs - I'm not polygamous."

Because one of your dogs is not able to enter into a mutual consensual agreement where you will devote the rest of your life to them above all others, including your other dog. I genuinely hope but doubt that helps you.

4. Greg J Preece

"I suspect that the reason christians get upset is that the language is pretty well defined and has established usage."

Usage that has changed over time. The original definition of marriage (even assuming that marriage is defined exclusively by the Bible) allowed for polygamy, mistresses, marrying slave girls, and generally treated women as property.

The definition of marriage has been changed over time to "one man, one woman", but it sure as hell wasn't like that back in the OT. The Mormons only changed their definition of marriage last century because the courts threatened them with action over the polygamy thing.

So if it's changed to what it is now, what's the problem with it changing some more?

TL;DR - Bullshit.

5. feliksch

Coward, you are right of course, that the "marriage" ploy is agressive anti-religious and political avtivism. Look back in time or just around the globe and you'll see, that the enemies of religion (and thereon based moral) are not content with a status equal to their foes. They have to ridicule them, destroy them, kill them, because a God-Believer always has a better logical position in moral arguments - will always make them have a bad conscience, which can be subdued with constant diversion and adventure-seeking only for so long.

I have watched the homosexual crusade since the early 80-ies. They have lied about everything and they think its funny. By far most of them abhor marriage - it is the opposite of what they want, i.e. no responsibility, no fidelity, promiscuity, etc.. If I were perverse, I would think the same; its logical from their point of view. After all, if what you do is not the "real thing", you will always want to look somewhere else.

Where I live, they go preaching into kindergarden. Letters criticizing homosexuality and its missionaries are not printed in most newspapers anymore. The state, communities and business are financing their crusade, fearing their PR-machine. Of course, they will go down like communism, as they have before, when people were able to see the friuts of their doings. Until then however, too many will suffer unnecessarily.

1. EyeCU

Fuck feliksch, do you actually believe the shit you posted? Are you a member of the Westboro baptists? If not you should be, you're as much of a fuckwit as they are

1. sT0rNG b4R3 duRiD
      Devil

gay marriage...

I'm sorry there now I'm just going to have to stop you now.

Sure, I'm all for you homosexuals having equal rights etc... You deserve to be treated fairly.

But marriage means something in my book that does not include 2 people of the same sex living together. By all means help yourselves to the same rights if you will but marriage in my books it will NEVER EVER BE.

I was born at a time when marriage meant something different. I am sorry now but don't change that word. It actually means something special to me at least.

I know I know, the world changes. Words, definitions, morals change. What is acceptable today was not yesteryear and vice versa. Sometimes for good, sometimes for better, sometimes for worse. I'm not saying this is a direct analogy but rather as an example of how I think the world has changed: when I grew up, you got a bad grades you got punished by the teacher and then your parents. Now, the teacher gets it.

I am not asking to deny gay/lesbians/bi their rights. Just don't come and equate my marriage to yours. It's not the same and never will be in my measure. Just go call it something else. You guys are bright, creative inventive whatever. Just go and come up with your own word for it.

Food for thought: This is the perfect example of why I have always said that freedom and rights isn't free. They have to be fought for. These guys have fought for their rights and now are changing our lexicon - perfect example. Rights, fine. My only question again is why let them redefine a heterosexual word? Should we let them? I should tell you I was once denied entry to a gay/lesbian bar going there to meet a gay friend because I brought a girl - so you can see why I am not all that enamoured by their movement, some of them take it TOOO far. How far will we allow this to go eh?

1. Ole Juul

But marriage means something in my book that does not include 2 people of the same sex living together.

I don't think you could find two people of the same sex.

2. spatulasnout

Re: "... how I think the world has changed: when I grew up ..."

Not sure where you grew up, but please take a moment to recall it was a mere 45 years ago that interracial marriage was illegal in numerous states in the U.S., and interracial married couples were being arrested.

http://imgur.com/gallery/XMdZx

Re: "I am not asking to deny gay/lesbians/bi their rights. Just don't come and equate my marriage to yours. It's not the same and never will be in my measure. Just go call it something else. You guys are bright, creative inventive whatever. Just go and come up with your own word for it."

Take any argument against gay marriage and replace "gay couple" with "interracial couple" and think about what you sound like.

45 years is not that long ago.

3. EyeCU
        Facepalm

You do know marriage existed long before the christian church don't you? The ancient Greeks and the Romans and some areas of China all allowed same-sex marriages, probably other places too but it's difficult to find historical records from that far back so if anyone is wrong on the subject it is the christian church who have hijacked it and twisted it to their particular set of beliefs. Beliefs which they think gives them the right to discriminate and in the past even maim, torture and kill people who don't think the same way as them. But they are only doing what God has told them to do and God loves you so its for your own good.

1. jake Silver badge

On top of that, EyeCU (was: Re: My only question for the idiots against gay marriage is ... )

How many of the so-called "christians" have read the bible for content?

Jesus himself (supposedly, according to whoever actually wrote "the gospel according to Luke, 17:34 and :35") said "I tell you, in that night there shall be two men in one bed; the one shall be taken, and the other shall be left. Two women shall be grinding together; the one shall be taken, and the other left.", implying that at least half of all gay folks are A-OK with Jesus ... And if you read the rest of that passage for content, pretty much the rest of humanity is half rotten ... according to Luke's interpretation of what Jesus had to say.

4. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"I was born at a time when marriage meant something different. "

Was that the time when black people had to sit at the back of the bus, women stayed at home and cleaned, and gay people were sent to prison?

If religious authorities decide not to allow gay people to marry in their facilities under their oaths, that is their own business. But a secular gay marriage is on the cards, and a human rights issue. It doesn't matter what you think, because *you aren't the one being directly affected by it*.

The UK government *is* implementing gay and trans-gender marriage, in a secular sense. That's happening. If you disagree on the implementation, then feel free to have your say here:

https://www.homeofficesurveys.homeoffice.gov.uk/v.asp?i=48356xhlqw

Except fortunately for every loving gay couple in the UK, you left it a day late to reply.

Of course: You are welcome to have

5. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"How far will we allow this to go eh?"

Obviously, they won't stop until they are bumming you in your own bedroom.

Gay people deserve the same rights to be screwed by divorce lawyers as the rest of us. Live with it.

6. Greg J Preece

You know, I just didn't realise there were this many homophobic cunts on El Reg...

7. AdamWill

That's nice. Fortunately, I don't give a shit about what's in your book, only what's in the books with 'Law of the Land' written on the front. So we can all be happy.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: ..

"Wife's rose garden " - is that a metaphor and if so what's the emoji for it?

1. jake Silver badge

@AC06:11 (was: Re: ..)

Sometimes a rose garden is just a rose garden.

This one was planted as a joke, but a loving joke ... She loves roses, and likes Loretta Lynn's version of the song "Rose garden". While she was off helping her sister with new-born triplets, the Foreman & the Hands & I put in a rose garden between the herb garden just off the kitchen, and the fence we share with the gay guys. When she left, it was about a fifth of an acre of lawn, visible from our third floor bedroom (second floor to you brits).

She flew into SFO late afternoon and I drove her home, in time to arrive after dark. Remembering her "What the FUCK!" waking me up first thing in the morning still makes me smile :-)

1. Chad H.

Pic

Presumably, since the author seems to be messaging himself, he's planning on destroying marriage by being a part of the first automarrage -that is marrying himself.

either that, or he's marrying his iPhone.

2. Fred Flintstone Gold badge

But is it Skype compatible?

I couldn't care less about gay or non-.gay Emoj, what I really want is that Skype on iPhone does a faithful rendering of its animations.

If you don't know what I mean, try entering "(mooning)" (with brackets, without the quotes. Works on anything but iOS5 (it shows the essential part, but doesn't animate).

I mean, let's focus on critical stuff here..

3. Nanki Poo

Seeing as we seem to have gotten onto 'gay marriage'

As a gay man who has, admittedly just come out of, a 16 year relationship ("ooo, longer than your brother was married" observed my mother) I sort of don't understand the whole thing.

I am a gay vegetarian, and I have as much desire to the right of "marriage" as I do to eat my nutloaf in an abattoir. Give me legal rights (without withdrawing some from heterosexuals), who cares what it's called as long as it's equal to what's there already, it's easy.

Why sign up to something which essentially hates you!?*

nK

* The church hates you, even if those worshipping beside you don't. It's in the bookz!!2!!111!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Seeing as we seem to have gotten onto 'gay marriage'

Not saying I agree with it, but from the sidelines it seems to me that the label is most of the issue. That and maybe some unease about adoption (the idea that a straight couple might be waiting for an adoption while a gay couple gets to adopt seems to stick in people's heads) . Again, not saying I agree, just sayin ...

Don't get me wrong, there are definitely bigoted fringe out there (like those Westboro bastards) that think any legal rights will be the end of the world, but I don't think it's accurate to portray everyone who disagrees with gay "marriage" that way.

Regards.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Emoji

I think the real issue here, that no-one has mentioned yet, is that emoji look shit.

[Like the vast majority of 'cutesy' Japanese cartoon characters]

1. TheOtherHobbes

Re: Emoji

Given the limited resolution, how could they look less shit?

I for one look forward to the day when all SMS traffic comes with IMAX-quality interactive 3D animations.

Actually, that was a lie.

Sorry.

1. Old Handle

Re: Emoji

They could look less shit be embracing Microsoft's glorious gift of flatness.

5. Voland's right hand Silver badge
    Joke

@TheOtherHobbes

Given the limited resolution, how could they look less shit?

And here is your real answer for the Retina Display.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender Icons....

This is good.

I don't know what all the non christians are going to be using.

7. Khaptain Silver badge
    Unhappy

Atheist and heterosexual icons please.

I feel misrepresented, why are there no obvious Atheist and Hetersexual icons. It's not like we are a minority.

8. Crisp

Bi-sexual Icons too please.

Let's not leave anyone out.

9. This post has been deleted by its author

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Of course gay icons have been added. It's the largest section of their user base!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Downvoters, sorry but its true!

1. h3

re: Obviously!

It is not true but it is funny. (I am not homophobic - a fair amount of apple users seem to be)

11. g e
    Joke

See Apple DOES listen to its customers

But only when over 85% of the installed base request a feature...

12. amanfromearth

They will need different lesbian graphics for the uk tho'

The couples I see here are a small pretty one, and a big one with short hair, tats, and army boots

1. schnide
      Facepalm

Re: They will need different lesbian graphics for the uk tho'

Because of course, not only can you instantly tell every gay woman just by looking, but all us heterosexual couples look like David Beckham and Giselle as well.

1. amanfromearth

Re: They will need different lesbian graphics for the uk tho'

Yeah, just as I can identify twats with no sense of humour by their inane replies.

13. TRT Silver badge

All I can say is thank God it comes as an option that I don't have to use or see.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

God??

You mean that all loving father figure who loves all his children equally? Except those over there - it's ok to hate those

2. TRT Silver badge

Huh? So many downvotes?

Oh! I didn't mean the gay/lesbian thing. I just meant the whole cutesy pictogram keyboard thing. I mean, it looks like the graphic artist was on a candyfloss sugar rush. Yuck!

1. Sean Timarco Baggaley
        WTF?

@TRT:

"Huh? So many downvotes?"

For shame! Any student of the Baldrickian School of Relative Numberology knows that four = "some"*, not "many"!

* (Or, of course, a very small casserole.)

1. jake Silver badge

@ STB (was: Re: @TRT:)

Hmm ... Covent Garden?

Oh, no, crap ... I meant the next stop ... Holburn ... but I already used that, so I guess I'm back in Nidd. Dammit. Foiled again!

14. Tony Paulazzo
    Happy

>Sometimes a rose garden is just a rose garden.

This one was planted as a joke, but a loving joke ... She loves roses, and likes Loretta Lynn's version of the song "Rose garden".<

I *love* that song, and I'm gay. But I'm *not* married. Hmm.

I demand smiling gay emoji, and so does my wife.

15. The New Turtle
    Facepalm

"Apple's next-generation mobile operating system, iOS 6, will include oh-so-cute 'n' cuddly gay and lesbian emoji couples for your texting and emailing enjoyment.

Not that there's anything wrong with that."

Why, if there's nothing wrong with that, do people seem to need to reiterate it?

1. Jeebus

Because it is an affirmation in the face of outright bigotry. The fact you don't understand this very simple fact clearly shows you have no idea.

16. Jeebus

Why is it that posters use their actual accounts to make sly digs but when they say what they actually want too they hide behind Anonymous Coward posts.

Why not defend what you believe, cowards. You afraid of being wrong with a name attached?, embarrassed by your outdated and immoral, resentful and hateful beliefs?

17. Shawn Grinter
    FAIL

Sales...

Guess they won't be selling any iPads to The Westboro Baptist Church then.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: Sales...

Since electricity is the work of Beelzebub I don't think that will be a problem.

18. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

@Tigra 07

Another pin-headed homophobe speaks.

Opinions are like a$$holes...you just happen to have/be a large one.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Seinfeld

"Not that there's anything wrong with that" is clearly also a reference to an old Seinfeld routine

20. Richard Cartledge

The whole things just smacks of vegetarian bacon.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like