back to article Apple's Retina Macs: A little too elite?

Apple loves to be ahead of the competition on the technology curve, but has it shuffled up that curve a little too far? The new retina MacBook is causing angst among Apple's most loyal professional users. The problem isn't the retina display: that's a technological marvel. It's the absence of serious storage. The default …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Michael Jennings

To be fair, there are companies who will. Third party solutions are available for previous generations of the Macbook Air. As Apple has just released a new third party connector for their new models, it will be a month of three before these are available, true.

1. Jayml
    Thumb Up

Apple has to be ahead of the curve

Jobs famously said "IMac is next year's computer for $1299, not last year's computer for $999"

That is the key to their success. It took a while for the Air to catch on but then it left competitors in the dust. Same with Retina. I am amazed that that seriously amped up the power and spec with Retina display yet is half the thickness of my Feb 2012 15" MBP.

1. Pat 11

Re: Apple has to be ahead of the curve

How ironic that the iMac they are selling is last year's model for this year's prices.

1. Michael Jennings

Apple never updates its laptops and desktops at the same time. I will eat my hat if updates to the iMac and Mac mini do not come within the next two or three months. Whether there will be a retina display iMac at that time remains to be seen - next year is probably more likely for that - but Ivy Bridge updates at least are surely coming.

2. Piro Silver badge

The Mac Pro is the worst, how about a 3 year old mid-range card and a 3 generation old Intel CPU for the price of a modern workstation?

1. Mark 65

I'm guessing that, if they're going to stick with it, the Mac Pro will go to the latest and greatest E5 or E7 chips. Perhaps they've be waiting for something suitable to come along or perhaps they couldn't be arsed yet as other sales are going so well. Two 10-core E7s or 8-core E5s would probably go well. Not sure how well the typical editing software threads though.

2. Greg J Preece

One post made up entirely of gushing over a new product. Hmmmm...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

There's certainly room in the Retina Macs for both.

From the article: "There's certainly room in the Retina Macs for both"

There almost certainly isn't. Lets wait for the tear-downs

1. Rich 30

Re: There's certainly room in the Retina Macs for both.

There def isn't enough room.

Infact, there's such little room the flash storage and ram is soldered in, and cant be swapped. any spare room has been filled with batteries, which from the pics would appear to be approx 50% of the insides.

1. Pat 11

Yes, it's soldered in because there's so little room. That's why. Similarly they have used a non-standard SSD connector.

2. Robert Sneddon

That high-pixel-count display is going to be a power hog, same as the iPad 3's high-def screen was a major reason for the large increase in battery storage from the first iPads. It's not surprising they've stuffed the case of the new Retina Mac with batteries to support the "long battery life" selling point Apple has always used as a marketing bullet point. Finding out how the case design deals with heat dissipation when the CPU gets hammered doing, say, video editing is going to be interesting.

2. Frank Bough
      WTF?

why wait for a tear-down when Apple have done it for you? Apple always show off the build in the promo videos, check their website.

3. jai

this can't be the problem that you make it out to be

use an external drive. thunderbolt offers enough speed to be very nearly as good as an internal drive, surely.

also, if editing video is that important, surely you're already doing it on a desktop MacPro, or you're using an old-style MacBook Pro with an external large screen. No one is doing this quality video editing on the train on the way the work are they??

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Stills too

Out in the field still picture editing is getting hefty, average full frame RAW image is usually 30MB+ ( medium format is 50MB+ ) , when edited in at 16bit+ in Photoshop with say 15-20 layers you're easily looking at 500-750MB per image file.

Apple want to make a killing on overpriced external drives. Been a Mac fan for a few years but I moved my desktop back to Windows recently and when my old white Macbook bites the dust that's getting replaced by a bog standard PC laptop too, which I know will have a lot more kick to it than the Apple equivalent.

Apple kit really is a mugs game these days.

1. Volker Hett

Re: Stills too

HDD size can't be your problem when you're using a white macbook, same with RAM and CPU.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Apple want to make a killing on overpriced external drives.

Interesting. Apple don't make any external drives, so how exactly do they make a killing on them? And how are external drives for Macs overpriced when the drives actually work on both Macs and PCs and are sold by competing suppliers? Is there an external drive cartel, with agents in the field switching price tags when they intuit that you are a Mac owner?

3. El Presidente

Re: Apple kit really is a mugs game these days.

Ex Apple fanboi (me) states as fact: Apple hardware has been a Mug's game since System 7

Once you understand a GUI is a GUI and you can work all flavours of them you immediately save 30 to 40% on the hardware and about 100% in the 'iNob' stakes.

1. El Presidente
        Thumb Up

6 thumbs up & 4 thumbs down so far ?

WIN!

If you disallow the 4 thumbs down votes, clearly from the equally deluded / offended iNobs, move them over where they should be, to the thumbs up column, the iNobs score 0 and the rest of us get 10

I'd call that conclusive proof that Apple kit is about 40% overpriced.

Nice screen though.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Well, I've just downvoted you. So, by your logic, Apple kit immediately got 9% cheaper. If you get a few more downvotes, they'll be giving it away.

Thanks for giving us enough information to put your other opinions in context.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

> Apple want to make a killing on overpriced external drives.

But Apple don't make external drives.

1. El Presidente

Re: Apple don't make external drives.

Just the £30 to £50 'official' proprietary connectors ... LOL

5. toadwarrior
      FAIL

I don't really believe someone would consider using some cheap and old (given they don't sell the plastic MB anymore) for doing serious video editing. I suspect you'd have more problems than the HD and I doubt the old white MBs come with some awesome killer HD.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

out of touch with the modern times

for my wife, who is a photographer at the beginning of her career, the Air was the first machine, even though she had an iMac with more power and screen state. having a flash inside means no moving parts so it can be thrown around. she never wanted to have something thicker than that, since it would be a problem on photography hunt trips. if you want storage you can connect a thunderbolt drive (although there are none big enough based on flash). I prefer too to have less space but more reliability and speed. I personally don't want to use harddrives with moving parts in them, except for backup. so the new macbook pro is ideal for her.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ugh

I see Apple have pissed around with the SSD connectors so one can't fit a third party SSD on top of their solered in RAM. Despicable way to lock customers in..

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Ugh

Of course you can fit a third party SSD that has the new connector, but yeah that's probably too much thinking to ask from a troll.

2. Scott Mckenzie

Not really.... if you don't like the product, or it's not suitable, don't buy it.

An incredibly small percentage of people actually care about this sort of thing, your average joe has no concept that a hard drive can be upgraded to a larger one. So it really, honestly, makes no difference at all.

1. atippey

It seems like Macbook Pro would be one of the few products with a savvy enough user base to care about SSD/HDD and RAM upgrades. If anything, an extra 8 GB of RAM could add a good year or so to an aging laptop's useful life, and it will be dirt cheap by the time it is a year or two old (actually, it's dirty cheap already). Given that the machine cost north of 2K, you probably want to amortize that over as much time as possible. Admittedly, I dislike it because it completely defeats my MO of buying the lowest RAM option available and upgrading it for half the price of the next Apple option up. When my sister bought her Mac Mini, Apple wanted $100 to up the RAM from 2 to 4 GB and $300 to up it from 2 to 8 GB. You could probably get 8 GB of DDR3 1333 online for less than $50.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

There's 6 extra pins in the new connector so it's likely they'll have some useful purpose that couldn't be met with the old one.

OWC already said they'd have a third party SSD for these models.

4. Benjamin 4

What absolute mug downvoted this? Who thinks it's a good idea to make computers non user serviceable?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@Benjamin 4

I'm not sure you know what user serviceable means.

2. Eeep !
        Unhappy

Whole heartedly agree that making computers non user serviceable is bad, would go further, a failure of the human race.

Having talked friends and family through installing extra/replacement memory sticks and extra drives over the phone it does seem something they take a pride in doing and getting a more physical understanding of. Perhaps they haven't fully understood the IDE master/slave difference, or the pairing of memory sticks in banks but they understand that with the right components the task is matter of connection widget A in/on to widget B. Much like their car.

Talking them through it when actually present is fun; ask them to give you a screwdriver that fits the case screws and then hand it back to them with instruction to open the case. Watch the nervous fumbling with case screws as they start, turn to a pleased and happy pride as the last case screw is replaced after testing the changes worked. (Can't stop them buying from PCWorld though!)

Must say that laptop/notebook/netbook upgrades are something to do in person, only because in my experience, there is always some ribbon cable connector or motherboard clip/screw not mentioned in/on the maintenance manual or whatever maintenance website can be found for that model. And by "in person" it's me doing and showing them what is being done - never work on someone elses computer without them present, they don't learn anything.

Everytime a company/manufacturer decides on a non-standard connector it is "shudder time" because it makes simple tasks more difficult for their customers which is normally only driven by the requirement to depriving their customers of something that can be an overpriced solution from the company/manufacturer.

1. JBFromOZ

User serviceable YAAAY.

Obviously you go through static safe precautions with them prior to opening up their case, and ensure they are strapped and grounded, working at an anti static workstation safely with their precious cargo..

You do.. right??

2. Bob J.
          Unhappy

The Black Box syndrome is a function of smartphonism and tabletism. No one messes with their smartphones or tablets other than to switch the chips in the former. There's nothing in there to be messed with. Why on earth, then, provide for anyone to modify their computer? Aren't they all digital.

(The above is sarcasm, of course.)

3. Mark 65

If you want user serviceable get a desktop.

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@AC 13-Jun-12 08:57

FFS, Don't like it, don't buy it!

Simples!

6. toadwarrior

If you read the article you'd see that Apple has changed connections before when there's a benefit and I suspect you will see third party drives. Not that most people are going to care.

7. Britt
    Holmes

Samsung

Samsung Chronos series 7. uses a hybrid drive, pretty good lookin' too.

Why anyone would buy a mac for that much I stuggle to understand.

1. Rich 30

Re: Samsung

its certainly a lot of money. But it's also a lot of machine.

For some people it's going to be for show, like jewelery. (whats the point in diamonds, they are just rocks?)

For some people, its the excitment of having the cutting edge in terms of tech, which this certainly would appear to be.

For some people, its not a lot of money, and its a nice laptop.

For some people, that new display is going to be brilliant addition to their computer lives. (i know photo reviewing on my ipad3 is amazing, thanks to that screen. Really amazing.)

1. David Cantrell
        Go

The screen (I want 1900-ish by whatever, which it will do) and memory are it for me. Not for video, or photos, but for writing code. Being able to have half a dozen files open at once, all visible, plus run my tests, plus a debugger, will mean I no longer need to attach a huge external monitor. 16GB of memory will mean that I can run several virtual machines at once. Now, all of that is available in PC laptops, but all with niggling little irritations. The Thinkpad W series, which I know will work with Linux, have a clitmouse in the middle of the keyboard. Anything else and it's down to luck whether things like sound and playing videos will work.

I expect I'll get one of these new Macs in a few months time, once all the idiot fanbois have beta-tested them for me and the last few manufacturing snafus have been ironed out :-)

1. bhtooefr

Hey now, some of us prefer the clitmouse.

2. Scott Mckenzie

Because of the performance, the portability, the OS..... none of the which the Samsung does to a comparable level.

I'm writing this on a 6 year old Mac laptop, that's running the latest OS extremely well.... your average six year old windows laptop could probably just about still manage XP with SP3 installed.

1. Jess--

Hmm...

My 6 year old average dell laptop (from tesco's of all places) is quite happily running win 7 ultimate 64 bit with all the bells and whistles enabled.

It did run windows XP for a few years (purely to avoid the POS called vista)

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@Scott - My G5 is about six years old, IIRC, it's totally obsolete and unsupported by Apple. By comparison, my HP desktop is about five years old and runs Windows 7 better than it did Win XP.

I'm not saying anything pro/anti either system here, just that making stuff up to support your case is rather tedious.

3. bhtooefr

In my case, it's the screen.

My current machine is a ThinkPad T61p 14.1" 4:3 motherboard, in a T60 15.0" 4:3 chassis, with a IDTech IAQX10N 2048x1536 15.0" IPS panel.

I've got it maxed out at a 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo - slower than today's low-end CPUs, and a high-end quad core will blow it out of the water - and 8 GiB RAM. It has a Quadro FX 570M, which is slower than Sandy Bridge integrated graphics - so in 2012, it's a joke.

This is the most powerful machine that can run this screen, due to chassis changes, too. But, I refuse to downgrade on the screen - it's so much easier to work with stuff when I can have everything on screen at once (I have good eyesight).

Finally, someone came out with something with higher pixel count, reasonable (for me) density, and IPS. It happened to be Apple, and the bastards seriously hurt expandability of the machine, but I'll still be getting one because it meets my needs better than my five year old frankensteined ThinkPad.

Granted, Apple did hide the options to get the desktop area of a 2880x1800 normal Mac, but I'm guessing it won't be long before someone finds the hidden switch, and if nobody does by the time I get one, I'll go looking for it myself, if I decide to run OS X as my main OS. (A Japanese site showed that it can be done in Windows easily (just set the display to 2880x1800), so I'm good to go on Windows.)

1. thomanski
        Go

Any plans on auctioning off your Thinkpad on eBay when you've got the Mac? Please do give us a shout right here then.

4. toadwarrior

And I struggle to understand why anyone would buy a Samsung Chronos series 7. But luckily when people buy things they like it doesn't affect me so who cares?

8. Alastair Dodd 1
    Devil

"It's clearly in no rush to pass on the volume savings it makes in buying flash memory to its users in the form of lower margins"

What company really does this except to gain market share? Never Apple as they are king of the costly option

9. Scott Mckenzie

External

As a part time/occasional editor of video it's also rather commonplace to use external storage - you have the footage you're editing stored locally and you write the final thing to external storage. With the benefits of Thunderbolt too you can easily have large capacity and high speed storage externally.

If you want to edit video professionally you don't buy a cheap, portable machine anyway!

The Retina model is actually 'good value' try and build a basic spec 15" normal one to the same spec as the entry level Retina.... aside from the fact you can't change the graphics card, it's cheaper to buy the Retina model than it is to put 8Gb RAM and an SSD into the 'normal' one.

1. sandman

Re: External

External is the way to go - even with a laptop hard drive. We use 2TB LaCie drives plus one or two 23' external monitors. The laptop itself really just holds the software, does the processing and uploads to the online storage system. It also helps to have a portable system to carry to meetings, demos and to show your mother her old 8mm movies when you have transferred and edited them ;-)

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

professional video edit

With Mac Pro now in Limbo, desktop video edit has no option but switch OS X to Windows for new systems if state of the art performance is required.

Although portable retina + external storage looks good for many use cases.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like