Feeds

back to article Menaced cartoonist raises $60,000 for copywrong

A popular internet cartoonist has been served a demand for $20,000 after he failed to use the DMCA to defend his rights. Website FunnyJunk republished several strips from The Oatmeal, a comic drawn by Matthew Inman, in a clear cut case of copyright infringement. But Inman is a creature of nerd web culture, where using the quick …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Re: Arse Technica

I'd attribute it to AutoCorrect myself.

WTF?

FunnyJunk...

...sounds like a euphanism for an STD.

Anonymous Coward

Re: FunnyJunk...

"...sounds like a euphanism for an STD."

Euphanism... sounds like a euphemism for euphemism.

Thumb Up

Its over $150,000 now...

You see the donatations here: http://www.indiegogo.com/bearlovegood

Silver badge
Facepalm

You got it wrong?

You realize that the problem isn't really the copyright infringement, but that FunnyJunk's owner is suing Inman for defamation?

Inman has stated he could care less about the copyright infringement. But what really ticks him off is the frivolous lawsuit he's been served. If you are going to criticize the guy, do it on grounds that he shouldn't just ignore that lawsuit!

Facepalm

The only way to do that is to do a 'McLibel Case'

The front man has to broke and penniless.

re : Euphanism... sounds like a euphemism for euphemism

that would be a Euphonism

FAIL

Thanks for the one-sided article!

Thanks for the one-sided viewpoint of copyright we've come to expect from El Rag. I suppose no one ever abuses the DMCA to censor fair-use criticism, parody and educational uses. And I suppose ISPs always take the time and effort to really make sure the content is infringing instead of just blindly complying with all takedown notices.

The problem with the DMCA is that it encourages ISPs to just rubber-stamp these requests because there's no downside when they "accidentally" remove content that was actually not infringing, while there's huge downside if they refuse a request and it turns out the content actually was infringing.

Not everyone who opposes the DMCA opposes the entire idea of copyright just like not everyone who wants to protect P2P are "freetards" who believe that they should be able to download copyrighted content for free.

It's a complex issue... it would make a great article if you actually chose to do some research.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.