back to article Ten... Sata 3 SSDs

It wasn’t that long ago that it would’ve been a struggle to put together a list of ten consumer SSDs. Now it's case of asking: only ten? Indeed, the rise of flash based storage in the last 18 months or so has been truly astounding. Increased competition and cheaper NAND prices have combined to force prices well below the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Steven Pemberton
    Happy

Reaching parity with HDs

"There may never be parity between SSDs and the good old mechanical disk drive but the solid state option is steadily heading in the right direction regarding cost and capacity."

Sure they'll reach parity. SSDs follow Moore's Law, HDs don't.

1. Piro Silver badge

Re: Reaching parity with HDs

No, HDDs have been increasing in capacity and dropping in price far faster.

You can't underestimate that old design classic.

There's not enough flash production, nowhere near, to replace all the spinning platters around today.

2. Alan Brown Silver badge

Speed _and_ size

Don't bugger around with hybrids and their weird-ass drivers.

ZFS on a set of big, cheap 5400rpm disks, with a decent amount of flash out front (128Gb+) has pretty impressive performance.

Flashcache works pretty well too, these days.

Ditto on other comments about Revo drives. Limited Binary-only linux support and mediocre performance under load means their prime use is ego stroking (I was looking at these to boost a 500Tb setup last week and decided they're not worthwhile)

3. l8gravely
    Go

Ranking suggestion...

Looking over the selection, it's still hard to make a choice. I'd love to see a graph which shows the size vs cost vs warrantee length. I'd be willing to pay extra for a longer warrantee, since I could amortize that expense over a longer time. Maybe Cost/GB/Year would be an interesting metric to look at?

As others have said, random read/write performance is much more interesting that sequential, and would also impact my purchasing more. But really, it's all about reliability first, since the speed is good across all of them.

Now to figure out how hard it would be to move a windows 7 install from HD to SSD without bringing along all the data. Or only some of it.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like