back to article Windows 8: Not even Microsoft thinks businesses will use it

Like Thelma and Louise, executives at Microsoft's Windows division have no doubts about which direction they want to point the car. It's pedal to the floor, and over the cliff as fast as they can drive. Last week the latest Windows 8 public preview confirmed what many had expected and feared: there will be no compromise on the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Chemist

Re: Good thing for Linux

From the Microchip website

MPLAB® X IDE is a software program that runs on a PC (Windows®, Mac OS®, Linux®)

I've never had to "mess" with compilers just to run an application and Linux is all I use. From my 17 year experience of Linux, both at home and in research in a big pharma Linux has been a valuable desktop for years. Indeed at work, ~8 years ago, I only used Linux and Unix desktops as the extremely expensive protein modeling software programs were ONLY available for them.

1. dssf

If it is running win98 as a server, try locating a copy of Lotus SmartSuite if you can figure out what format the proprietary db is able to export to. It would be tragic if nothing is usable, especially since Approach can import some 10 or more format types. Is that db GUI or DOS-based? Is it in Lantica/Sesame? Borland Paradox? Other?

IWCTW, see if you can find a hacker/cracker who can get the db into RAM, then use a hex or memory reader to grab the data. Won't be cheap, but it could be costlier ($ and emotions) if that ancient machine decides to give up the dust and bite the ghost.

1. thickasthieves
            Meh

The cost of _finding_ a skilled reverse-engineering developer who is willing to undertake the work on contract is a challenge for a small business owner, let alone budgeting for the legitimate costs that the developer will incur while doing the work.

In addition, even if the base formats were to be reverse-engineered, if the original developer decided (for understandable IP protection reasons) to put in any amount of encryption (or even some well-placed obfuscation of critical code, parameters, or key data structures), then the reverse engineer would be faced with yet another set of hurdles, and the costs would go through the roof.

I could easily see such an effort, undertaken by a single developer, to run to $10k or $15k, or perhaps even $25k or more.

In my judgment, the best thing to do is to find some expert systems software assistance (which, while costly, will be far less so than an entire reverse development effort), and virtualize that Windows 98 machine so that it can easily, safely, and forever be run on a modern hypervisor.

Alternatively, hire a cheap offshore data entry team (or put it up for Amazon's Mechanical Turk) to rekey all the data into a modern application.

2. daveeff
          IT Angle

Doesn't the database have reports that (combine to) print everything? Print to file as generic text run a shitload of PERL, import into (insert DB here) and spend a whole bunch have time manually checking the data - for a huge fee I can even help out ;-)

1. dssf

Might be nice if this were a sort of "digital shit on digital shingles". But, some corporates and consumers have no taste buds...

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Being an iPad owner who does a fairly limited amount of things on it, I really can't see why anyone would want to operate a full blown computer with such a limited interface. I think Windows on ARM is going to suck and x86 tablets will run too hot to put on your lap or run slow to prevent this.

To operate a tablet computer on your lap you really do need multi-touch and a touch screen UI. I've remotely accessed a Mac with my iPad and found it slightly frustrating to use to day the least. But touch screen interfaces can never be so powerful as a mouse and keyboard.

Firstly the mouse and trackpad is the couch potato's friend, you can move a mouse pointer around a large screen accurately with very little in the way of movement. Physical keyboards are also loads better than on-screen keyboards as you can reliably use more than one hand and use multiple fingers too.

The saddest thing of all in the computer industry right now is all the pioneers are dead or no longer involved in technology. Bill Gates isn't in charge of Microsoft, Steve Jobs is dead and Google are hardly innovate, choosing to replace Microsoft in the role of cloning and cheapening the competition.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

because ....

Picture the scene at MSFT HQ.

One thrusting young VP says that if Microsoft embraced the whole new tablet-cloud-mobile-multimedia scrumptious we could be just like Apple. And remember what happened when we ignored that internet stuff back in the 90s

Another greybeard says - our core strength is in the enterprise desktop, don't change anything, just make things more consistent and easier to manage.

Which button does Blamer press to drop one of them into the shark tank?

1. danny_0x98

Re: because ....

We tend to overlook that Enterprise licensing is calendar-based. Which Windows os is merely an implementation detail.

Integration over three screens is Microsoft's play these days. Correction, the promise of the best integration when all the kit is ready and purchased is today's message. When tomorrow arrives, we'll see if the world didn't know what it was missing.

1. Danny 14
          Go

and that they are probably dead right. Enterprise wont move to w8 anyway, they have just started (or have planned) a move to W7 so they wouldnt do 8. Then W9 will have had a right shoeing over metro and will be fine again (or a GPO to disable metro)

2. dssf

He whacks one or both with a BATON, THEN presses a BUTTON, for one praising Apple and the other for not whacking the other who advocated emulating Apple..

2. dssf

Sad?

I think what is really sad is we don't have the tech to download all those brains into a hub for later "resurrection". But, imagine the pattern buffer/bit-muncher mixing up Jobs, Gates, and Ellis into one "stream". They might be one HELLUVA "Hybrid", producing the worst of "altered-egos"..

But, maybe in 15 years, when brain-mapping is further along, we may once and for all reap or strip or sift brains of their unconscious 1s and 0s "brainary" equivalents...

3. dmarkh

So USE both hands; split your keyboard.

Go down to the show/hide keyboard button, lower right corner, looks like a keyboard, and tap then hold it. An option to either undock/split the keyboard will come up. If you split the keyboard you can use both hands like a steering wheel.

2. Gordon Fecyk
    Go

Didn't this happen with Windows 95?

Where'd my Program Manager go? How can I run Windows 3.1 again? The Start Menu sucks. Why can't I use Trumpet Winsock anymore? Microsoft's being anti-competitive again...

How about Product Activation in Windows XP... remember that old chestnut? That was supposed to drive millions of ex-Windows users to Linux.

Nine years from now you'll all be trying to save Windows 8.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Didn't this happen with Windows 95?

likewise the dredded office ribbon bar..... its just about reached tolerable levels for most people now.

1. JeevesMkII
        Mushroom

Not for me. I still despise the ribbon with every fibre of my being. The only positive thing about the ribbon is that it has forced me to learn the keyboard shortcuts for just about everything I'd ever want to do. Bloody thing is unusable.

1. BristolBachelor Gold badge
          FAIL

Ribbon

Judging by this comment, I don't think that Andrew has ever seen the ribbon:

"I cannot think of a change forced upon users that's quite so violent since xharacter-based terminals gave way to graphical user interfaces"

2. David Jackson 1

The Ribbon is an abomination. Sadly, it's hard to get Office 2003 now.

1. Thorne
            Pirate

"The Ribbon is an abomination. Sadly, it's hard to get Office 2003 now."

The Pirate Bay is your friend

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Oh god...the f***ing ribbon. I don't think MS realise just how much retraining and redocumentation of procedures is required when they do shit like the ribbon (and Metro) especially when they don't make it optional. Funnily enough one of the most used ribbon add-ons is the 'classic menu' :-) That should have told MS something.....but nah! They know what's best for you.

Both the ribbon and metro belong in the IT graveyard.

3. ed2020
        Unhappy

likewise the dredded office ribbon bar..... its just about reached tolerable levels for most people now.

Not for me it hasn't. Not even close to tolerable.

2. the-it-slayer
      Facepalm

Do you not know the routine by now... good, rubbish, good, rubbish. I refuse to go through the list. It's the turn for rubbish.

9 years from now, we'll be trying to save Windows 7. Sheeesh. Code activation doesn't drive users away; stupid UI decisions do though.

1. The Tick
        Boffin

Routine Now...

I remember the routine - Win 3.11 for workgroups - win95a sucked - win95b was stable and had big hard drive support - win 95c was gui upgrade to make it look like win98 first edition - win 98 sucked was flaky - win 98se was stable and somewhat reliable after all the patches - winME was crap - win 2k was decent but they dropped directX support for it forcing me to winXP - Vista was crap I never used - Win 7 is crap I do not use - winXP in classic mode is now as stable as 2k was and with firefox or chrome, openoffice, and winamp who cares if the newest IE or media player or office will not work on the old XP?... I swear to use winXP until I cannot use it any more! <I should go buy a bunch of blank HD's and install/activate windows XP then put them on a shelf to use after the 'activation server' is taken down> I still miss win98se because I could set bootgui = 0 and go to true dos and run win whenever I wanted... (They killed the progman.exe in winXP, I tried copying the one from 2k but they went out of their way to block that...)

On top of all these versions of windows I put LiteStep and never changed my interface / gui for any of the OS's they threw at me until VISTA came along and when I shut down it went 'OMG your shell has shut down what ever should I do now?!?!?!?' and that is why I never left XP.

2. P. Lee
        Linux

> Code activation doesn't drive users away; stupid UI decisions do though.

Perhaps for the consumer market. For business, they'll either just skip Win8 or deal with it.

What really drives businesses away is application incompatibility coupled with licensing issues. MS isn't daft enough to do both of those at the same time.

Replacing applications is a major headache. App deployment and migration is a major headache. Compare the costs of lost productivity due to UI with a switch to a different OS with the same type of UI and you'll see why businesses will stick with MS, even of they don't go with Win8.

3. Paul Shirley

The difference was: a small minority gave kneejerk howls of protest, the majority hated Program Manager with a passion. The exact opposite of Metro vs Start.

...and then the idiots noticed they could still run Program Manager, but didn't bother.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@Gordon - You are right - I remember running Win95 in "3.1 mode" for months until I was forced to admin that, actually, you know, this new menu thing is quite good. Ooh, did I slag it off at the time though. I'm not going to fall for that again, I'm going to try it out and make up my own mind, rather than listen to the vocal ones on the Internet, many of whom have a track record in slaging MS.

5. Nathen Fredrick
      Trollface

Only Windows 95 wasn't reducing an expensive computer into basically a phone.

The only way that it may drive users to Linux/OS X is when people decide that they don't like the look of 8 and wonder what else is actually out there. It might be like that scene in The Simpsons when all the kids go outside and play when the Cable is out.

1. Gordon Fecyk
        Coffee/keyboard

Only Windows 95 wasn't reducing an expensive computer into basically a phone.

Like Gnome 3 does? or HUD?

2. Ian Johnston Silver badge
        Stop

Moving to Linux

Don't raise your hopes for Linux. They'll try Ubuntu (everybody says it's the easiest, right?) meet Unity and the HUD and run back to Windows as fast as their little legs will carry them.

6. Captain DaFt

Win 95's UI wasn't the one that followed Win 3.11... Bob was. 95's UI was the retrenching MS did after that fiasco.

(Seriously, if you look at all the promotion MS did for Bob back in the day, it mirrors their current enthusiasim for Metro.)

1. daveeff
        Facepalm

this did happen with 95 - I never used it, skipped straight from 3.11 to 98.

Good release, bad release - I went from DOS to WfW (3.11) to 98 to NT, to XP, to 7 (wow, did I not miss something between XP & 7?!)

1. Eddy Ito

@daveeff

"I went from DOS to WfW (3.11) to 98 to NT, to XP, to 7"

You could have saved yourself a bit of time by jumping straight from 3.11 to NT. The only complaint that sticks with me about NT4 was its separation anxiety when the network went down.

7. bailey86

I agree that Windows 95 was the beginning of the serious rot.

Before that - Win3.11 did what it was supposed to do - and didn't crash. Also, a Win3.11 PC could be rebuilt by Format /s of a HD - and copying all the files back from a network backup. I know this as did it myself.

Windows 95 came in - suddenly we had OS crashes (at the time, an original WTF?) and suddenly the only way to rebuild a PC was to re-install the OS from the CD (again WTF?)

Windows were close to sorting themselves out with the fairly lean WIndows 2000 - but then in came the truly dreadful, bloated WinXP. (It still amazes me how people think XP is any good - have they not tried a decent Linux distro or a mac?)

1. dssf

What I miss:

IRQ conflicts in the middle of a error ding/bell. "Deeng-neng-neeng-neeng-neng-neeng-neeng... bmung-bmung-bmung-bmung-bmung-bmung....

and, "DUNDT". Sometimes, it's funny to hear it on the BART terminals, when the ticket machine goes tits-up with the win logo on screen.

Sadly, when BART upgrades its trains, it won't be hurling ms/win to the trash heap in favor of an OSS/FOSS/GNU OS...

3. Captain Save-a-ho
    Thumb Down

Conspiracy theory of the day

While the "skipping the business cycle" theory does make some sense, isn't it more likely that Microsoft execs continue to suffer from business myopia where their products are concerned? It's one thing to innovate in ways that help users (i.e. Win3x -> Win9x), but forcing the tablet GUI on non-tablet devices makes no business sense at all for Microsoft.

It sounds like they want to manage one client OS codebase for all devices, regardless of platform. That could make some sense, though I think it could be argued that it brings its own level of complexity that washes out any savings over multiple OSes. To take that leap one step further by defaulting to the tablet GUI and eliminating 15-year-old desktop conventions in the process is unthinkable. That's not innovation, that's just stupid.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Conspiracy theory of the day

"isn't it more likely that Microsoft execs continue to suffer from business myopia"

I wouldn't have thought so. Microsoft is itself a major corporate user of Windows. I had rather hoped this might save Windows 8 - Microsoft's internal users would decry it as unusable - but this doesn't seem to have happened. I don't get it.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

wow...

Count And/Or Trollmaster Extraordinary making sense?! Whatever next...

5. Allicorn

Classic Shell

Classic Shell beats Start8 IMHO. Once you log in and get to the desktop you have both a Start Button and a classic style Start Menu. Add Ribbon Disabler and Win8 almost starts to look like Windows again. Third-party hacks are hardly ideal for the Enterprise environment though.

1. wirving

Re: Classic Shell

There's an even better hack--just don't upgrade to Windows 8.

6. It wasnt me
    Happy

Wrong

Don't get me wrong, I hate Microsoft far more than the average man and have done since I was saddled with Vista. But Microsoft aren't choosing to skip a business cycle. They just know full well that businesses choose to skip MS Upgrade cycles. Whatever MS did with 8 the businesses were going to skip it anyway, so it seems like the right release to put the consumer shit into.

On everything else though, I agree, it looks turd and will probably die a painful death. Thankfully I will never see it as the only place I use windows is at work.

1. the-it-slayer
      WTF?

Re: Wrong

But surely they want to drag businesses away from XP at bloomin' well last? Okay, Windows 7 will do that job but if Windows 8 was a non-abrupt continuation, the choice to move away would be made easier.

7. Miek
    Linux

I think that article has really hit the nail on the head. I think that these start8 folks are going to have a rather large database of email addresses after all the Windows 8 users "fix" their start menu issue.

8. Lazlo1313

dumb

this sky is falling editorial serves no purpose. i use metro every day and it is far better than groups of icons. you should just relax.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: dumb

Yes, but this article is about Enterprise Windows -- not that smartphone you fiddle with all day.

2. Richard Jones 1

Re: dumb

Interesting, for what do you use metro?

I have no interest in the weather in small town USA, nor the USA stock market, I hardly ever watch a video on my PC and Win 8 cannot play DVDs natively anyway, clouds are something that rain on me. I do use outlook, word, excel, Firefox and the like in fact they and the TV are open and ON SCREEN now, but I never found a use for any of the dis-functional metro toys, which I could never close once I found them useless. Shut down was a nightmare till I found the big shiny button on the front did a nice rapid power off - was that the idea or not.

My Windows (H)8 experience will draw to a close as the latest release has been crippled to not run on my spare, non production 3 GHZ pc.

9. DavCrav
    Holmes

" "I believe that the software giant is taking a pass on businesses for this release, a calculated risk that enables it to more firmly focus on the consumer market that's on the cusp of slipping through its fingers thanks to Apple and, to a much lesser extent, Android," he writes. Well, you read it here first."

Surely not, since you are quoting another website...

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Metro On the DT is CRAP !

Well said Andrew !

Been running W8 preview for some time now and in it's current form it is the most disastrous UI decision MS has ever made for the DT environment. I don't know what idiots they employ to do market research but they clearly have this wrong.

Should have two windows versions - Windows Metro and Windows Classic

Where Metro is solely for touch and new hardware interfaces (can see it working well here) and Windows classic for DT use with the option of Metro as a bolt on layer.

My advice to anyone on the current evidence is to avoid W8 at all costs, wait until W10 after MS has had a few kicks in the nuts and eventually listened to the market putting things right.

This sort of crap from MS is one of the Major reasons I like Linux, I have plenty of UI's to choose from if I don't like something.

1. DrXym

Re: Metro On the DT is CRAP !

I think metro could work on the desktop and work pretty well with some fairly modest improvements. I have no issue with change but not change that gives mouse / keyboard / desktop users a truly second rate experience. And that's exactly what metro does.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Stop

What you are missing of course, is by making Metro optional, nobody would use it, and then Microsoft couldn't cream 30% of apps sales.

This is why Metro is being forced upon you are the default interface, so you can rebuy all your apps again, in cutdown crappy metro versions where Microsoft can cream of 30% each time.

Windows 8 is just a vehicle for that.

1. Richard Plinston

> This is why Metro is being forced upon you

I have seen a Microsoft message that was: 'Metro will soon be the most familiar UI'.

It seems that MS has projected the growth of iPads and the decline of desktop PCs and of WP7 and concluded that in a few years everything will be tablets and/or smarter smartphones and will miss out because of Apple and Android.

The only way forward is for users to demand a different UI. The way to do this is to get them familiar with Metro. Once they find that it is easy to use they will stop buying the clunky old Apple and Android way and will _want_ Metro on their tablets and phones.

ie if it is forced down their throats then they will grow to love it.

Having the option of turning it off, or not buying Windows 8, will not achieve this aim.

Making desktop, tablet and phone all working the same way will ensure that users buy all 3 devices, plus want Metro on their TVs and cars.

The alternative for MS, in their projections, is decline in PCs, more loss of mobile to Android and reduced revenue. As the business plan is using stock price rises to pay part of the staff costs then this would lead to rising expenses and loss of profits leading to a spiraling decline.

Metro will save Microsoft, and only Metro will do that, there is no Plan B. OEMs _will_ ship it without the option. You _will_ use it, you _will_ like it.

OEMs will also not ship anything else. MS has made HP dump WebOS like it made ASUS dump Linux Netbooks. Others will follow. Expect Dell to dump Linux ARM stuff (or lose 'loyalty discounts').

1. Fred Flintstone Gold badge

I just realised that this is not exactly good marketing for Excel either, if that's how they have done that projection :)

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like