back to article Facebook's ONLY failure: Expectations management

As I type this, Facebook stock is trending toward a $26.84 per share price, valuing the company at $57bn, or roughly half the value Facebook held on its first day of trading two weeks ago. While the market plays a round of "You're to Blame!", Facebook is suffering from inflated expectations. Facebook's net profit margin and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Naughtyhorse

Re: Several things wrong with this article...

"actually worth"

since when has a share price been even remotely related to what a company is _actually_ worth?

1. Nasty Nick
    Childcatcher

Fool me once...

We're just seeing an echo of the late 90's "dot.com" bubble, same old cycle, same investor / market behaviours, but this time round there is a lot more cash in the system to blow up the bubble.

Facebook was just a vehicle for making lots of dosh for it's founders and early investors, and you can't say that hasn't already happened. And you can't really can't blame Zuckerberg and co. for taking advantage either, this is just the way markets operate. The mass of "johnny-come-lately" investors want to believe they can make a profit at no/little risk, because it's such a big, well known company with massive capitalization, surely it has to be safe?. Who cares about the slowing revenue growth? It'll come good in the end. .etc

As the old lags on el Reg know, we've seen it all before. You can never underestimate "greed is good" sentiment in the markets when the big number dollars are raining all around. People just can't resist it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Fool me once...

Why do you always have to have growth? Why can you not even keep your head above water unless you're #1? What's wrong with more than one social network, more than one car maker, more than one phone maker, etc?

2. OknotOk

Facebook fail

Facebook weren't forced to the markets and the management weren't forced into the valuation.

The valuation was obviously too high and anyone sensible was shorting the stock like crazy, knowing that it was all coming crashing down.

Does anyone know anybody that has clicked on a Facebook ad, let alone bought anything off the back of it? Every single piece of evidence or investigation into the long term effectiveness of FB advertising must have made harrowing reading for management.

Apple trading at c. 13, Google at c. 19. It doesn't take a genius to work out that even with expected growth (and Facebook is likely to deliver growth, especially as it branches out into the Indian market) it was way over the top.

And it has been damaging for Facebook so management should have done more.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Facebook fail

How does one get into this 'shorting' lark? I want some money out of f*ck all too!

3. Jason Bloomberg Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Snake Oil

4. Tom 38
    FAIL

Matt Asay in wise-after-the-fact shocker. Could at least have been honest and said "Oh, and I'm one of those irresponsible fools who thought Facebook was worth hundreds of billions of dollars, but now I've changed my mind".

1. tgm

Re: hundreds of billions of dollars?

I thought it was a trillion. As @Bernad said earlier http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/07/09/facebook_trillion_dollar_valuation/

1. Tom 38
        Headmaster

Re: hundreds of billions of dollars?

Technically, a trillion is still hundreds of billions of dollars.

5. Melanie Winiger

Stupid Facebook Revenue Question

Facebook Value?

I use Firefox with Adblocker Version x.

I don't see any adverts at all on Facebook.

So how can Facebook get any revenue from me clicking an Advert when it doesn't exist?

Sure they know my name and Date of Birth, but they won't get me to click on their Adverts because I can't.

6. mraak

Dumb f*cks

Is what Zuckerberg calls FB users for trusting him their data, so why should I treat them any better than utter idiots? That goes for investors too.

source:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/05/14/facebook_trust_dumb/

7. This Side Up

Get on this rocket ship!

That invitation always comes when the rocket is at the top of its trajectory, has used up its fuel and is about to fall back to Earth.

8. AnonymousNow

FB should have managed expectations better? This is a rather curious position given reports that the Zuck was storming around in the windup to the IPO demanding an ever higher opening price from his bankers.

9. Local Group
    Trollface

Not a lot, but a start

"NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- Nasdaq said Wednesday that it plans to spend $40 million to compensate trading firms for losses caused by glitches that delayed Facebook's debut.

Firms would be eligible to receive $13.7 million of that in cash, with the remainder coming from reduced trading fees over the next six months, according to a Nasdaq statement."

It doesn't say anything about the little guy.

10. derv
    Pint

Opportunity

Now I'm not your average investor or market trader but the over hyped value of Facebook is farcical in the extreme. After dropping around 20%+ in value over the last few weeks, it is still valued at between 50-60 billion pounds. Nuts!!

If the share price fell to $10 dollars, that would still value facebook at around 20 billion!! Barking mad for a company whose main user base lies in the 14-20 year old bracket... the exact people who do not have the disposable income that the IPO has been hyped about... Once Facebook attempts to apply a more rigorous advertising model, users will leave in droves and its share price will collapse to a more meaningful value.. et al Yahoo...

The main investors are trying to pump the stock, which might work in the short term.. longer term though its there is only one way its going and thats down.

Either way for the punters on the sidelines watching this farce, its too much of an opportunity to miss in making some money shorting the stock.... Roll on $10 dollars a share! (may take a few months though)

11. Displacement Activity

@ElReg

Enough Matt Asay on Facebook. We're not all as stupid as he seems to think we are.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like