back to article Sony PlayStation 4 will not be download only

Sony's next PlayStation will feature an optical drive - Blu-ray, presumably - after all. Plans to drop disc and go download only have been seemingly shelved. The change of mind was signalled by the inevitably anonymous moles claimed to be familiar with what the Japanese giant is up to. They also told the Wall Street Journal …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Andy Fletcher

I never understood it

PS2 had a 300Mhz RISC chip. PS3 Cell 7 cores running at 3Ghz. Quite why they couldn't get an emulator to run with that disparity in performance between the two seemed odd. My conclusion was that it was simply a business decision. Why pay to code a decent emulator when the net result actually makes you less money becuase your customers buy 2nd hand PS2 games for a quid.

1. JeffyPooh
    Pint

Once upon a time...

There was a brief window of time when well-rated, Internet-enabled, wifi-equipped BluRay players were $200 or very close. At the same time, the 160GB PS3 was available on sale for $250. At the same time I wanted a good BluRay player, so that's when we bought our 2nd PS3 - primarily for the media playing. The PS3 is also one of the best up-converting DVD players of all time.

All this requires the optical drive.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like