Feeds

back to article BBC deletes Blue Peter from BBC One

Blue Peter - home to four-legged rascal Shep, the coat-hanger advent crown and school-boy favourite Janet Ellis, is being turfed out of its home on BBC One. The 54-year-old show that gave kids the drama of hibernating tortoises, out-of-control baby elephants and, yes, Janet Ellis, will be shoved into the back end of Freeview. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Anonymous Coward

Re: *Yawn*

Smack is sooo 1980s, Grandad. It's all mephedrone and ketamine these days.

Re: *Yawn*

Kickstart - I'd watch that no problem, although the H&S brigade would have kittens.

Bronze badge

The BBC1 schedule for children's programming runs from 3:05 pm to 5:15 pm.

Going by my recollection of school and travel timing, I would only be able to catch the last hour of that. Even in my days at primary school, I would not have been able to watch all of it. What I remember of those far-off days, there were more hours of children's programming that I was able to watch on a schoolday than there is now.

So I am wondering who they expect to be watching some of what they put on BBC1.

TRT
Silver badge

Of course. Because thanks to the government you can no longer get into the school at the end of the road any more, only one five to ten miles away.

Bronze badge
Childcatcher

I believe this to be a good thing...

When I watched kid's BBC (back before the dawn of time), I was always really annoyed when it got pre-empted for the budget, tennis, snooker or pro-celebrity tiddleywinks.

Dedicated channels like CBBC/CBeebies will not see this.

Bronze badge
Headmaster

Best kids show!

I Horrible Histories. No contest. Adults can be amused by it too!

Not the best

I always thought the Blue Peter presenters were rather too condescending and/or supercilious for my taste. Got the impression they were recruited to be that way. The opposition program, Magpie on ITV was the business as far as I was concerned, with the added plus of Jenny Hanley! She certainly added a certain something, which also made the dads watch as well.

Silver badge
Paris Hilton

Re: Not the best

Ooooh dear. Prepare for a massive downvote. Blue Peter was for kids who wanted more school after school.

Still, while the Blue Peter viewers were counting their milk bottle tops while drinking their weak lemon drink, Magpie viewers had Jenny Hanley:

http://flofblog.com/images/blog/63.jpg

Paris because like Jenny she also has some "interesting" performances in "films".

Devil

Jenny --even in that picture always reminded me of a creepy aunt. 50 yrs old and enough blue eyeshadow to mistake her for a lost peacock. Shades of Norma Desmond there, folks.

Contrast Peri Brown/Nicola Bryant. Now she was a reason to watch the telly.

I thought that as well, right up until the time my youthful eyes were opened by the sight of John Noakes and Peter Purves staggering out of a pub in Beaumaris (where they were filming something about the RNLI I seem to remember), three sheets to the wind in the middle of the afternoon. Always watched BP in a different light after that, as it turned out they were human after all.

Gold badge
Happy

For the record.

If Janet Ellis is reading this, it was I driving the white 3-ton truck that shuddered to a halt in a cloud of tyre smoke next to your door when you pulled out of the car park next to the BBC Television Centre without looking. You dozy cow.

@Janet Ellis fans: You owe me one.

Happy

There goes my concentration for the day...

Janet and Sophie together, bugger, if they knew the thoughts that mother-daughter combo puts in my mind thay'd take away my Blue Peter badge!

Silver badge

So what's the problem?

Analogue TV has already been turned off, meaning nobody is stuck with just five channels anymore. Ergo, there is no need for the BBC to keep programmes meant for the widest audience on BBC1 or BBC2.

Re: So what's the problem?

Not everywhere it hasn't, granted it will be in October.

Are you all mad

SUSAN STRANKS

Bronze badge

Sticky backed plastic

I never made any of the projects as I never had any sticky backed plastic.

Reams and reams of sellotape* mind, but no sticky backed plastic.

I mind that Anthea Turner Thunderbirds Tracy Island.

Never tried that one either. It's like cooking, they make the recipes look simple, but when you try it yourself it looks amateurish and rubbish.

I've noticed that the likes of Live and Kicking is no longer, Saturday Mornings are devoted to showing old clips of Keith Floyd and seeing who can give James Martin salmonella in a half-cooked omelette.

What will fill the gap between Escape to the Country "where he helps a couple with £550,000 (who the hell gets a Mortgage like that??) to find a property" and the News?

Bargain Doctor Homes under the Hammer in the Country Attic?

(* It turns out that other brands of sticky backed plastic are available...)

Why only mention Blue Peter?

ALL the programming is being moved. Blue Peter is but one programme out of $lots.

Typical headline nonsense. Blue Peter is not being axed, nor is it being singled out in any way.

Who cares? They're just channels (check it out, there are lots of them). Specifically, why do the BBC continue to obsess about which of their many channels programmes are on?

WTF?

Janet Ellis?... seriously?

That annoying, helium-voiced frumpa-lumpa.

There's no accounting for taste!

Silver badge

Seriously?

If BP costs too much, you're doing it wrong.

How much does it cost to make a walkie-talkie from tin-cans and a bit of string?

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.