Feeds

back to article Watchdog bites bar over 'offensive' Facebook ad

The Advertising Standards Authority has sunk its teeth into the Manhattan Bar in Stoke on Trent, for a Facebook promotion "likely to cause serious or widespread offence". The offending Manhattan Bar promotion as seen on Facebook The ASA ruled the offending ad, seen right, in breach of CAP Code (Edition 12) rule 4.1 (Harm and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Anonymous Coward

Re: What about

WTF is Facebook?

Anonymous Coward

WTF is WTF?

Silver badge
Boffin

"WTF is WTF?"

Well, yes. Clearly a = a.

Silver badge

And A is sometimes F. (ref:"I Was a Teenage Objectivist")

Anonymous Coward

William Tare Fox is a politician notorious for ill-judged statements about matters of no concern.

Bronze badge
Coat

And E = F flat (The Musician's Theory of Relativity)

Silver badge
Pint

Let them run the advert. It doesn't look like it would attract women (and thus men) to the club, so it will prove to be its own penalty.

Still, nice to see that they have taken a more responsible approach to the traditional BOGOF drinks promotion... I would have thought that ASA could have given them credit for that.

JDX
Gold badge

responsible?!

I'm not sure how "binge as much as you can and we'll let you do it again for free" is more responsible. At least BOGOF means you have to have both at the same time, this way you fill your body as full as it will go to 'earn' the same chance next week.

Silver badge

Re: responsible?!

Its more responsible than having people walk away from the bar with a drink in each hand. Since it takes time for alcohol to be absorbed into your system, downing two drinks in quick succession is more likely to make people stupidly drunk than taking a ten minute break between bevvies.

Bronze badge
Windows

Also doubtfully legal. Section 141 of the Licensing Act 2003 makes it an offence to sell alcohol to anyone who is drunk. Ho ho, one of the most abused legislative provisions ever, methinks, but statute law, nonetheless.

Hmm. Unless *giving* alcohol to drunks is legal, of course. Cue clever lawyers.

Silver badge

IRRC it's been prohibited for a very long time to serve anybody who is obviously drunk in a licensed establishment. It only became a criminal offence recently due to Blair and his lawyer cronies making pretty much everything into a criminal offence (i.e. more work for lawyers)

Silver badge

"One of the worst clubs in Stoke"

and, as you can imagine, that's up against some pretty stiff competition (© Blackadder).

Anonymous Coward

Re: "One of the worst clubs in Stoke"

Yes. "Worst club in Stoke" is a pretty low bar by anyone's standards. Had some good nights at The Void back in the day, and slightly before my time, Shelley's had quite the reputation (some young chap calling himself 'Sasha' was resident DJ...) but apart from that..

'scuse me, I think my age is showing. Mine's the one with the glowsticks and anonymous white tablets in the pocket.

Bronze badge

misread

And here I was wondering what the ASA had to do with an organization of New York City lawyers.

Bronze badge
Happy

"I'll have what she's having"

© some film or another, cba to google it

Pint

Looks good

Looks like it could be a right laugh.

Anyone fancy going? I could do with a cheap drink!

Anonymous Coward

Bonfire of the Quangos?

Pity this one didn't get burnt. I see someone has already flagged their pathetic bullying attempt on the Archbishop Cranmer blog - worth reading if you want a laugh at the ASA getting told to p**s off. They are a nasty piece of work IMHO.

Go

Guerilla marketing a its best

The hoh-hah generates more media attention than the ad.

Pint

Indeed

As someone who occasionally frequents Hanley on a night out, I can inform the ASA that the advert is the least offensive thing about Manhatten that I've ever seen.

Besides everyone knows you get a better night out in Castle ;)

Anonymous Coward

Re: As someone who occasionally frequents Hanley...

you are in our thoughts

Bronze badge

Re: Indeed

Is the you Mr F?

Bronze badge

Re: Indeed

*that

Facepalm

Prolly obscene, but offensive? Is silliness offensive? Do people not interested in alcohol, an allegedly adult concern, typically end up on a tavern facebook page? I find the idea of such being regulated offensive, whom do I complain to? ROTFFLMFAO

I don't see what the problem is. What's obscene and offensive is Stoke itself. We should set cleanse the area with fire and start over.

Trollface

hmm

Stoke's the finest place to live in this country, it's got everything you need shop wise (just the same as every other town/city in the country) it's in the middle of the country so everywhere is nearby, it's surrounded by pretty countryside, living there you've got access to jobs across the whole middle of the country from Wales to Nottingham, from Manchester to Brum.

Where do you live?

Megaphone

Lowering of standards

Aggghhhh! Another advert featuring a young person with it's 'gob' wide open.

Sorry. 'Gob open' adverts really are despicable.

"occasionally frequents"

Isn't that an Oxy moron?

Silver badge
Coat

More ASA complaints

It also says "dress to impress". There is a gallery on the club's website to show that's blatant false advertising..

Bronze badge
Headmaster

@Someone Else Re:And E = F flat (The Musician's Theory of Relativity)

But only since equal temperament was adopted!

I am surprised at how many people glibly put forward Einstein's Mass/energy equivalence equation as the basis of his theory of relativity. IIRC from my reading of 65 years ago, the basis of his theory of relativity was his take on gravitation:

Gσ,τ = 0

Boffin

Re: @Someone Else Re:And E = F flat (The Musician's Theory of Relativity)

That would be general relativity. E=mc^2 comes from special relativity, for which the positulates are:

- The laws of physics are the same in all inertial reference frames

- The speed of light is constant in all inertial reference frames (or equivalently, Maxwell's Equations)

Coat

How appropriate for a night out in Stroke Content

I bet she's hoping some lads and lasses from nearby ClitHero turn up too

Coat

let me be the 70th commentard here

Somehow seeing 69 comments at the bottom of the article was just plain wrong.

This post has been deleted by its author

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.