back to article The Pirate Bay cries foul over Pirate Bay copycats

Beware of unauthorised copies of The Pirate Bay, comes a warning from, er… The Pirate Bay. The Swedish site notorious for indexing unauthorised copies of music, films and books has found itself being copied, and it doesn't like it one bit. On its blog, The Pirate Bay advises fans to use the authentic, original ThePirateBay and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. NomNomNom

In terms of games, developers should compile faulty versions of the game and put them up on file sharing sites both before and after the real game is actually published on the market. Let the pirates copy the faulty versions around and spread them, making it harder later for pirates to track down the genuine versions.

The faulty versions should contain very subtle bugs - like random corruption of save files at infrequent times, or the end of the game simply not being there, it just crashes out at a certain point.

2. Crisp

Unfortunately, the system is self regulating.

The people that download torrents do occasionally talk to each other.

1. NomNomNom

Re: Unfortunately, the system is self regulating.

not if you flood the networks with fake personas who vouch for the authenticity of the faulty copies and warn people off the "real" copies. It becomes less accessible to newcomers who don't know who to trust. People get put off. Less people download/less people share. Network crumbles.

3. Andrew Orlowski (Written by Reg staff)

It's been done - this was very common practice a few years ago:

see “I poisoned P2P networks for the RIAA” – whistleblower

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/01/17/i_poisoned_p2p_networks/

posted 17th January 2003

1. mrmond

The networks already do this, it usually get spotted fairly quickly and then you see there are no seeds on a new torrent.

People grabbing torrents tend to download from someone who's built up a reputation for providing consistent seeds that are good.

1. NomNomNom

One thing to do there is to focus all prosecution effort going after and taking down the individuals "who have built up a reputation for providing consistent seeds that are good" who are essentially single points of failure for the network.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

*Groan*

I take it today you're having a fact-free day then Andrew...

Between a total failure to join up the words and understand the nature of the complaint (whatever you think of TPB, you have to acknowledge the difference between "wah, they're copying us, NO FAIR" and "those guys are copying us and charging for stuff we don't charge for, watch out") and a misrepresentation of Doctorow (again, there's a difference between "all re-use should be free" and "non-commercial attributed re-use should be easier", but hey, don't let facts get in the way...I guess you're still smarting from being the inspiration for Rat-Toothed Freddy) this is a sad return to the bad old days of Orlowski pieces, click-trolling at its worst.

3. adam payne

Irony

I don't really see how they can call in the lawyers when quite a lot of the material linked to by their site is illegal in the first place.

4. MarKo1
    Stop

What a shame

This article does not reflect the reality... after reading this article I went over to the TPB to find totally different informations....I could not find anything about trademarks an so on.

If people like the author of this article are the one proposing laws ( bribery & lobbying) I start to believe that sites like TPB may have some good reasons to be up.

Shame on the register to post wrong informations.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The scum leading the dumb

A sucker is born every second.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.