back to article CISPA passes House of Representatives vote

The Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act (CISPA) has been passed by the US House of Representatives, despite the threat of a possible veto by the president. The bill would allow the government to pass on information about hacking threats to commercial companies, and allow them to share their user's information with …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

never happen

Obama has a history of 'taking a stand' and folding almost immediately, both before and after he was elected.

He'll huff and puff and then he'll sign it into law anyway like the good little poodle he is.

2. jon 68
    FAIL

And this is RNC brains on drugs...

With the increased fervor brought on by a soon-to-be election, the RNC really needs to fire whomever their current brain trust is, because they're all on LSD or some other hallucinogenic substance.

At a time when the majority of voters under 40 already don't like you, do you REALLY want to pass some idiotic legislation like this? Something that gives off the perception they're already bought and paid for by the RIAA, MPAA, and every other special interest group. The strategy advisors must be have huge ulcers when the incumbents whom they hope to get re-elected are pulling shite like this from their collective arses.

The simple truth is that Hollywood, like the music biz before them failed to come up with a VIABLE solution to deal with mobile media and the rights of consumers, so consumers did what they always do when a reasonable, legal solution isn't forthcoming.. they come up with their own solution. Had any of the multiple viewing sources been available a dozen years ago, they wouldn't find themselves in this position, and we wouldn't be discussing stupid legislation.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A lot of noise over nothing

I believe this is a good bill to help reduce cybercrime. It's logical for the different agencies and industry to share data to identify criminals and prosecute them. IMO this has little to do with the music industry and more to do with corporate and national cyber security which is a monumental issue and growing daily. Those who chose to pirate, hack or violate law in any manner online deserve to be convicted and punished.

4. Peter Murphy

Laws like this make me glad I was not born an American.

My sympathies and condolences to the fine, fine people of the United States who have to put up with this shit. I wish them luck. But at the end of the day, I still have the ability and the choice to escape from this, because I live in another first world country with more actual freedom. My government is not yet infected by the TSA virus, not are they in the pocket of Hollywood. Hopefully they never will be. I also hope that in the interim, some freak meteor/tsunami/accident takes out the lobbyists, pollies and corrupt business people while leaving the other 300 million intact.

Once upon a time, being American (well, a white American) meant winning first prize in the lottery of life. These day, it's more like obtaining a simulacrum of a winning ticket, and the FBI has arrested the winner for forgery.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The U.S. certainly has problems...

...but enacting laws to reduce piracy is not one of them. It's foolish to think that new laws are not going to be implemented to slow cyber crimes including piracy and hacking. It would be irresponsible to not enact this legislation. I'm sorry but I disagree with those claiming they are losing some freedom, which they are not IMO. If your bank acct. gets emptied by a hacker or your I.D. is stolen then you might be real happy that these new laws exist if they are able to catch and prosecute the perps.

6. toadwarrior

Is there anything America won't give up for a false sense of security?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

This has nothing to do with a false sense of security

It's intended to help catch criminals. No one is giving up any rights. This is just a bunch of complaining over nothing, as usual.

7. puffspluslotion

Slightly off topic

Here in Maryland, USA (USA! USA!). the state supreme court has just declared the collection of DNA samples from suspects arrested for violent crimes unconstitutional. At the same time one of my supposed representatives (Dutch Ruppersberger) is a primary sponsor of CISPA. How is the collection of DNA from someone already charged with a crime an "unreasonable search or seizure" while the collection of other data from just about anyone not?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Slightly off topic

Thankfully Maryland's ignorant decision will be over-ruled by the U.S. Supreme Court. There is nothing unreasonable about collecting DNA from a criminal nor laws to prevent piracy, hacking and other cyber crimes.

People had better get use to reality. The Times, they are a changin'

8. Catfitz

So How Much is the EFF Spending?

Why are you insinuating that receiving $100,000 from companies interested in this bill is some kind of great evil?! It's absolutely legal to receive funds from lobbyists and corporations, and the reason you know about them is because...they are registered and visible. There isn't any "secret" about this as it has to be reported.

Why don't you ask the same kind of questions about the money sloshing around on all those opposing the bill?! Start with the Electronic Frontier Foundation and Mitch Kapor, and see where the money comes from for their campaigns (among the donors are George Soros' Foundation).

And keep going to see what Google is spending on this despite quietly staying out of the fray for now because they want to keep their powder dry for the final fight in the Senate, and they don't want to go up against Facebook needlessly until they have to. Facebook supports the bill. Good!

This time, the legions of mindless script kiddies likely won't win, as the adults have finally figured out that they have to maintain the rule of law over the unruly Internet for the sake of everyone's freedoms, not just the freedom and wealth of Big IT.

9. FoxG

CISPA

I think everyone should have privacy. And no one but him, should know this. CISPA for the crime is a cool idea. But suddenly, in CISPA will work employee who wants to sell the information to the same cyber thieves about good people, such as musicians,actors, businessmans and etc. What us I do then? If this law would work, we will have to be used for surfing in the Internet Anonymous VPN services such as Hideman software, or other. Let's wait what will happen in the future.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.