back to article Developer leaks Microsoft product plans for next two years

A Microsoft developer has taken the unusual step of publishing a partial Redmond roadmap for some of the company's most important software. Maarten Visser, CEO of Dutch cloud developer consultancy Meetroo, posted the plans, which were issued by Redmond at the end of last year, on his Twitter stream and they include launch dates …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Silver badge

Beta Sharepoint Evangelizion

"I have been evangelizing SharePoint since Microsoft produced the first beta in early 2000"

WHY!

Anonymous Coward

IE10?

IE8 runs code in the order it's specfied.

IE9 runs code declarations after you've used them.

IE10 doesn't run any code you include, but runs arbitrary code it finds on the interweb?

It will be great to see what they do next.

Silver badge

Scoop

Microsoft will produce new versions of Office and IE.

The release dates are uncertain, the names are preliminary and there is no mention of features

I would also like to predict that next year's Derby will be won by a horse

Well, if you've ever seen the film Babe

The powers that be weren't expecting a pig to enter the sheepdog trials.

Silver badge
Happy

Re: Scoop

The horse bit made me spill my drink!

Kudos to you!

Windows

Is this really news?

A roadmap starting at the beginning of 2011, and one that calls Windows Phone 7.5 'v.Next'?

This thing must be at least a year old. Move along, please...

OLD OLD OLD

Those "roadmaps" are from ages ago and they may have been the plans then but they probably aren't any more.

Holmes

Re: OLD OLD OLD

I saw most of this at a public, MS Partner presentation in January. Old news.

Thumb Down

Oh Dear

To be honest, I really like the current crop of products, which I use on a day to day basis (Windows 7, Visual Studio 2010, Office 2010). And I am not a fuddy duddy because I really like the ribbon.

The thing is that Microsoft seem to be going completely mental at the moment - we already know that Windows 8 looks like a nightmare to use for actual work and Visual Studio 2012 has been sapped of all colour to the extent that it's unusable. I dread to think what they will do to office. My guess is some kind of gesture based method of making the ribbon appear or if you are one of those crazy people, not using touch; having to hover the mouse over a specific 5px section in bottom of the screen.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Oh Dear

My bet is on Kinect and Xbox achievements. Code compiles? Achievement unlocked!

Anonymous Coward

Re: AC

It's only been out for a few months, but MS already has a plugin to add achievements to Visual Studio.

<http://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/bc7a433b-b594-48d4-bba2-a2f24774d02f>

Anonymous Coward

Beta

"...the Consumer Preview (studiously not called a beta in an apparent dig at Google) "

Boy, MS may be losing the battle in mobile and internet sectors but they sure are winning in the playground.

I expect Google are really fuming at this clever snipe. The strategy meeting that MS must have had to brainstorm that one must've been quite intense.

It also shows how out of touch Google are becoming - using words to describe user-testable software using a term that has been around for decades.

Anonymous Coward

El Reg - restraint ?

I'm surprised that there have been no comments yet about what would have been the case had he leaked an Apple roadmap... ?

Have the Apple haters all turned into monsters for Friday 13th ?

WTF?

News... Really..... Nothing else better happening in the world?

MS give these roadmaps to everyone in IT. I shocked this even made the news.

These aren't the droids were looking for, move along, move along.

Silver badge

My roadmap with Microsoft was to turn right at the Vista intersection and carry on up the Penguin Avenue. I've not looked back.

Silver badge

They have plans ??!!!!

I thought the development plan was to see what Apple does and then copy it

after n posts..

For any story about Microsoft, what is the average number of posts before the discussion 'degenerates' into: why I love/hate the ribbon?

Windows

Inuit

Why would an Inuit ice cream salesman be unwelcome in Redmond?

Anonymous Coward

Let's see...

Office 15 - Still using Office 2007 (free copy from workplace). Works like a charm, and I won't upgrade. And if I want to use cloud office apps, I'll use Google Docs.

IE10 - Still on Windows Vista. It works well after SP2 and patches. Does IE10 run on Vista? And why do you want to use a crappy browser when better alternatives are around?

Windows phones - Good luck garnering a double digit % market share. And shame on you for destroying Nokia with your turd ecosystem. Metro UI is still ugly, tiles that only an astroturfer for Microsoft can love.

Bronze badge
Pint

Ah yes. The insanity defense.

"I have been evangelizing SharePoint since Microsoft produced the first beta in early 2000," he told The Register"

Silver badge

Re: Ah yes. The insanity defense.

I agree - it's bad enough that he does it, but to then publicly announce the fact.

{shakes head in bewilderment}

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums