back to article The Hardware Hacker's Guide to Home Automation

Reg Hardware Gizmo Week logo small The home of the future is a staple of both speculative fiction and comedy. Back in the 1970s, Frank Spencer caused havoc in an automated home during an episode of Some Mothers Do 'Ave Em. For some of us, the enduring image of home automation is either Michael Crawford chaos, worthy but …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. JRS

Re: Question?

I've looked into this but haven't jumped at anything yet. The closest things I've seen have been either on openenergymonitor (looked too complicated for me) or I found a thread on a forum: http://www.electriciansforums.co.uk/central-heating-systems/23969-immersion-heater-pv-electricity-15.html (jumping into the middle of it!) in which some people seemed to be offering to sell a semi-ready-built system for a reasonable price.

1. Joe Carter

HomeEasy controller via Arduino

You can control HomeEasy kit via an arduino via a 433Mhz transceiver available from Maplin for a tenner: http://homeeasyhacking.wikia.com/wiki/Home_Easy_Hacking_Wiki

2. John A Blackley

Who's it for?

If I'm a para or quadriplegic then I can see the value of home automation. Otherwise it's just yet another excuse to avoid getting off my fat, lazy backside to turn a light on or off.

1. Bassey

Re: Who's it for?

Assuming you were being serious and not just trolling;

How am I supposed to measure the contents of a fully sealed oil tank by "getting off my fat arse"?

How am I supposed to stop my son's bedroom dropping below 16C by "getting off my fat arse"? Do I get up every 30 mins during the night, take a temperature reading and either turn the heating on or off?

Or, for the example someone gave above of dumping excess solar energy into the immearsion, should he remain at home all day to do this or do you advise running home every few minutes to switch the relay manually?

Tit!

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like