Feeds

back to article Mistakes over GCHQ codebreaker's death crippled inquiry

Forensic investigators have apologized for the bungling of the inquiry into the mysterious death of a codebreaker employed by the Government Communications Headquarters (GCHQ). In August 2010, Gareth Williams, described as a mathematical genius by his peers and employed at GCHQ since leaving university, was found dead in his …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Bronze badge

Re: Operation Incredulious

At one stage the chief of ACPO had said that to take the DNA of policemen would be an infringement of their human rights.

As I understand it now, however, the police keep a DNA database of their own members which is voluntary and completely separate, specifically to cover the possibility of contamination of the crime scene.

When I'd asked about this a few years ago they said it was difficult not to contaminate a crime scene and so having a separate database meant that it is straightforward to eliminate such false leads without wasted effort. I still don't see why a separate database is needed.

Anonymous Coward

Poor Gareth's death brings to mind the 1984 death of an old lady (and NO, we're not quite yet satisfied over Dr.D.Kelly, similar briefing of krasny herrings by the powers that be) The source ofall world news, Daily Mail, had Gareth down as being a maths genius working at Bentall on Afghanistan ELINT whilst spending time on Einstein/ Stellar Wind in Maryland on total information awareness, whilst seconded to SIS?

Bronze badge

The very least that should happen is that the Met should be landed with a very, very heavy fine and that scientist involved should be dismissed. And I do mean the very least, a fuck up on this scale should really result in criminal charges, but it won't.

Bronze badge

I'm not sure if it was in the UK or some were else in Europe, but I seem to remember reading about a rare female serial killer. Turns out the local plod was using off the shelf q tips there were not sterile. The DNA belonged to a female factory worker.

Silver badge

It was an episode of CSI:NY, if I remember rightly. Or was that based on an actual case?

Bronze badge

This was 2 years ago. But shows like CSI do love taking stories from the news.Makes the job easier for the writers.

Silver badge

My apologies for doubting you. A few minutes' 'Bing'-ing revealed the case of the "Phantom Killer" in Germany between 2007 and 2009, who turned out to be a woman in the cotton bud factory.

Bronze badge

Not a problem. I know it sounds like a made for TV special. Mark twain once said the difference between truth and fiction is that fiction has to make sense. This handling of the murder makes no sense at all.

Silver badge

No, it doesn't make any sense - unless they already know who/how/why and would just rather the public investigation failed to reveal any of it.

Anonymous Coward

DNA blunders - Sign of things to come?

This on the day the government finished dismantling the Forensic Science Service and the second cock up announced by same firm in the last month

Anonymous Coward

Re: DNA blunders - Sign of things to come?

The FSS has screwed up enough cases over the years pre privatisation, it wont be the first or last time this happens.

Silver badge
Facepalm

Mugging.

If you're a spy and you want to hide an urban murder, the simplest way to do it is to fake a mugging. Every city in the World has muggings on a daily basis, and fatal ones with stabbings occur frequently in London. No need for bags in baths or faking bondage site browsing, just two or more "thugs", a quiet street, you can even allow witnesses to see the whole thing. Half-a-dozen stab wounds to cover the actual single fatal wound, makes it look amateur, and the job is done. Just another unfortunate crime victim, nothing to see here, move along. All this "dark arts" claptrap is just wishful thinking.

Anonymous Coward

Pratchet

Death was by natural causes. Given his occupation its only natural that they found him that way.

(Tasteless humor, I know. My sympathies for all innocent parties involved)

Silver badge

Re: Pratchet

I can forgive your tasteless humour, but not misspelling Terry Pratchett (or the missing apostrophe).

Keep-It-Simple-Stupid of Death

Blair and Campbell killed David Kelly by leaking his name to the press in a game of 20 questions, even if it was a suicide. It is ridiculous to say that it couldn't have been a murder because he himself feared for his life if his name was mentioned. Perhaps it was someone, a rogue foreign element or whoever, trying to make it look like Blair ordered the killing. I don't trust Blair's sincerity, I think subsequent events proved how ready he and his neo-con allies were to kill. I'd like to see all politicians regularly comprehensively tested for psychopathy.

The Shirlie McKie and Lockerbie cases prove how unreliable state 'proof' is. Lockerbie remains the UKs biggest terrorist attack, if that what it was, and the fact that conviction is based on an obvious mistrial that still hasn't been righted indicates that we'll never know the truth in this case.

While it might just be possible to kill yourself in a bag in a bath, that seems the most fanciful of scenarios and it is suspicious it is even suggested, especially given the other evidence of the clean flat and the unidentified couple. Of course he was murdered, Occam's Razor. He worked in a dangerous environment, so whether it was an office affair gone wrong, or a foreign government trying to turn him, or his employer punishing him for refusing to confirm two plus two equals five, that's where the questions lie. The fact the investigation was stimied and mucked up hints at our states complicity.

"We don't do those nasty things ...."

And then there was the death of Willie MacRae.

"Shot himself in the head" "Gun found 50 feet away" . Motives aplenty.

Does anyone see a pattern here ?

Anonymous Coward

"Mistakes"

...should perhaps be in quotes.

Anonymous Coward

Well, as a fellow cryptographer, I am going to make very sure that I don't meet a lovely young lass (probably with red hair) who wants to get me seriously intoxicated, and then lock me in a mostly airtight sports bag, under the pretext of some game.

Dave

P.S. What's that? Go out and have a few beers? Umm, ok, I'll get my coat. Oh, and this overly large, mostly airtight sports bag, too...

FAIL

Can I point out MI6 was founded in 1909.....CIA 1947....

The CIA is america's version of MI6

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.