back to article A million TVs to go dark across London

Next week analogue TV will be switched off across London, knocking out an estimated one million TV screens which haven't made the jump to digital yet. The estimate comes from Digital TV, the body appointed by the government to hold our hands through the transition, and most of them will be in back rooms and bedrooms as almost …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

But Will Digital Start To Work?

On everything except BBC the recent digital reception has been dark for much of the evening. If you want to watch TV at all you had to go analogue.

With the analogue switch off the digital power will need a huge increase.

Can they also switch off some of the dead heads making the programme choice, (it appears that many are based outside of London, is declining quality related to distance from civilisation?

2. Wize

Was going to upvote...

...till I got to your sentence.

Having lived there for a while, I wouldn't call it civilised.

3. HP Cynic

..as if a million voices suddenly cried out in terror and then were suddenly silenced...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Ah, that'll be it then.

I thought I felt a great disturbance in the electromagnetic force!

4. Roger Kynaston
    Stop

London != || == civilisation

I live in a bit of London (quite close to Crystal Palace transmitter). Great place to live. Yorkshire is also great though I have never lived there.

Not all Londoners only see things inside the M25. Not all those outside never look inside the M25. it does bug me when so many people are rude about London but then don't listen to you when you explain that it is a place I like living in even it they don't.

As to the article. Who gives a toss anyway. Nothing on TV these days except perhaps BBC4 - soft middle class southerner credentials showed there!

1. Andus McCoatover
      Windows

Re: London != || == civilisation

BBC4? Radio 4?

Oh, you mean the "Home Service". Now I got it,

5. RyokuMas
    Mushroom

TV Tax...

And here it is - "Buy a freeview box for £(whatever) with (whatever)% VAT going to the government coffers"...

No thanks. Bastards have already taxed me off the road with their great petrol rip-off.

I'll be watching what little there is that's worthwhile on iPlayer, thank you very much.

1. Chad H.

Re: TV Tax...

So with Freeview boxes going for about £20, that £4 is really that big of a deal to you?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

It bothers me. There's enough rich people out there to tax with out going after those that can least afford it.

1. JDX Gold badge

Aww, our hearts bleed for you. Keep believing in that communist utopia...

6. Anonymous John
    Unhappy

Two months to goín my part of East Sussex

And since the Heathfield transmitter doesn't yet transmit digital south, I get the impression that nobody knows what's going to happen. The booklet I got refers ominously to possible interference. From France probably.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Least of my worries.

Both of my 40 inch Samsung M87s started switching themselves on by themselves.

Fortunately they have a roll back to previous update, or I'd be generating analogue signals of my own.

8. tommy060289
    Trollface

I wouldn't worry too much about them

all the ones they looted last summer looked like they probably had a digi tuner in there

9. Jeebus

Never thought of that. So the riots were a precursor to the switch off. I'd make a typical London riot joke but it may be biased or something, given their rioting and all.

10. This post has been deleted by its author

11. Andus McCoatover
    Windows

Ahhh, Sutton Coldfield...

Grief, being shown around the old 405-line TV transmitter as a teenager.

Thing was stuck together by duct-tape. I remember seeing an old resistor (not colour-coded as was, but coded with rings and spots - wartime stuff). It was hanging in the air, tied each end by a bit of twisted wire...Made me proud to get home, switch on my old monochrome 10" Murphy, knowing the signal I was watching was going through that resistor, 20 miles away.

12. Richard Cartledge

Aww

I still have analogue in the car and it's quite a novelty when going down primitive south to pickup a picture on the screen.

13. The answer is 42
    Unhappy

Don't matter to me..

Crystal Palace is the one I can't get .. My aerial (in Leicestershire) points at the local East Midlands aerial at Waltham, about 25 miles away, but I get South Yorkshire / Lincs and Granada as well. Central Tonight, Calendar News or Granada Reports (in HD) are my choices. The auto-tune defaults to South Yorkshire!

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Power increases and Digital UK

To correct the writer - the name of the organisation is 'Digital UK', not 'Digital TV'.

And to the other anonymous coward above, regarding poor reception of digital terrestrial over the last few weeks... well, you may have a specific problem, but there's also been exceptionally high pressure weather.

Two things will improve digital reception at switchover: a) the digital channels will move to the old analogue frequencies, which are not 'squeezed in' so much and b) allow for much higher radiated powers (in the scheme of +10dB, i.e. ten times the power).

So you'll find the situation greatly improved, hopefully...

15. P. Lee
    Pirate

BAH!

Am I the only one who is outraged by the fact that the government has taken something that is free (spectrum) and turned it into a cost item which will be passed onto the general (TV-owning) public?

If that isn't taxation by the back door, I don't know what is. What is the point of the government "having more money" when the only ones paying for it are the UK public? Why not just increase tax a little bit and save the cost of the auction?

How about allocating spectrum based on merit?

Now, where's that magnet link for Dr Who?

16. Tim S.

In America...

In the U.S., most average people are still confused about digital TV. Since the analogue switchoff, people think regular TV received with an antenna no longer exists. When they see a TV station received via an antenna, they assume it is coming from a satellite. *sigh* They also do not understand that vintage TV antennas will still work with digital receivers (as long as the antenna wire is connected to the receiver with a 75-ohm connector). Manufacturers are part of the problem as they make money off people's ignorance, and sell antennas with phrases added to the packages like "digital ready".

17. Snobol4

But when will the Freeview power be increased?

Are we to assume that the power output for Freeview is being increased the following day? Or are we actually going to have to wait longer for that.....?

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like