Sci Fi recomendations?

As someone who I assume is considerably younger than the average el Reg reader I would like to draw on your expertise to guide my science fiction reading habits. To date I have read many of the 'classics' including dune, foundation trilogy, starship troopers, use of weapons and most of John Wyndam's …

This topic was created by Chazmon .

Page:

1. Bob726

Fantasy

How about the genre known as urban fantasy? I like the books of Charles de Lint, for instance, such as The Little Country. I suppose Jim Butcher could be put into this category as well, since his books take place in the present time.

2. Chevalier

hmm.. as far as Sci-Fi goes I'm not able to help, sorry :(

I'm more of a fantasy guy

3. kr236rk

Recommendations?

Hi.

Am hooked on both 'Roadside Picnic' by the Strugatsky brothers & 'Solaris' by Lem. I have seen both novels in film, by Tarkovsky; the novels are different to the films and vice versa, I love them all.

Any recommendations for similar story-lines please? I recently read Harrison's 'Empty Space Trilogy' for example, which was engaging.

Thanks.

4. Paul Kinsler

Find a good anthology

I usually buy one of the annual "Year's Best SF" anthologies; ion the past mostly (invariably) the Dozois one but sadly that's no longer an option. You get a good mix of authors (albeit not necessarily always to one's taste) and this can give you a good idea as to what else you might want to search out.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon