back to article Smoked by Android: Microsoft coughs up free laptop

An Android user who reckons he beat Microsoft's speed challenge fair and square will be getting his free laptop and phone after Microsoft's PCGuy stepped into the fray. Sahas Katta admits he won the promotional race, which pitches a staff member wielding a Windows handset against challengers in a test of speed, by sheer luck …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Smoked or not, it doesn't matter

Ok, I'll bite: "Only shills keep praising them"

Everyone who has used my WP7 phone has said that they didn't like the look of the interface to start with, but it's actually very well designed. Several said that they will seriously consider getting a WP7 based phone as their next phone. My partner (an Android user) said that she is definitely getting one.

Of course, that makes me an MS shill, it's certain that you're not a Google or Apple Shill, isn't it?

1. Vic

> Of course, that makes me an MS shill

Posting anonymously doesn't do much to dispel any such impression...

Vic.

2. Anonymous Coward
        WTF?

Everyone who has used my WP7 phone say that the interface seems nice and fluid, even if very garish and childish. Only after some time people start to ask about the wasted stripe of screen just to show an arrow on top; asking how to organize apps into folders, or at least by functionality, instead of the stupid alphabetic list on the second page; on how to re-size the tiles to show more information or waste less space; how to configure the search button, or why it doesn't work in the email or the market and always launches bing; etc.

My SO used the phone for a week, since it has a better screen and camera than her blade. After that week, she gave it back to me and asked for the blade. She doesn't want another WP7 phone for sure.

Me, I use it as my "emergency" phone, with a second SIM for another country where I used to live. It only makes and receives calls, as all the smartphone functionality and flexibility on my two years old Nexus One beats it hands down. I know, I could have got a cheap featurephone instead - but this WP7 was a gift.

Does this make me a Google shill? Probably yes, in your eyes, if you're so passionate about your WP7 phone...

1. xyz Silver badge
    Devil

Ban them....ban them all

Dear troll central aka El Reg... (see above posts for details)

....let's just ban all smart phones because they're turning people into complete twats.

I was filling up my truck on Sunday, on another pump this lass was filling up her Corsa. I paid and came back out. She was sitting in her car and I thought she was about to do a bilkin. There was a queue of 5 cars behind her .....and what was she doing, yup twatting away on her phone.

Then there's the people who try to walk and twat and listen to music and who don't have the mental capacity to do one of those tasks let alone try 3 at the same time.

It can only be a matter of time before there is a special catagory in the Darwin awards for dying mid twat. I hope at least.

I leave my phone in the house now, it has a feature called voice mail and I find the need to do a quick Google minimal, especially as women's clothes have begun to shrink in the hot weather.

2. RyokuMas

It's a risky campaign...

The whole "smoked by" campaign was always going to be dangerous, but - nothing ventured, nothing gained. Given how MS want to break into the market, they needed to go out on a limb and gamble.

Fair play to the 'droid guy for winning - although there was a certain amount of luck involved. I mean come on, what percentage of the android market is actually running Ice Cream Sandwich? Would a previous OS version - as is common in the fragmented world of android - have fared so well?

Yes, I've got a Lumia. It's a joy to develop for, and very comfortable to use. But for my personal use, I've still got my trusty Nokia 1100 - makes call, sends text, battery life approx 10 days. And until someone can smoke it for battery life, I'm sticking to it :)

3. Pantagoon

Listen to you lot...

...all talking about Windows Phones. I guess the ad campaign worked then.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Er, no.

All this has done is drawn even more attention to the sorry truth, i.e. that nobody's buying Windows Phones - with the added fillip that it looks like MS can't now even work out how to give them away without making themselves look stupid.

MS have backtracked now and Katta has got his laptop and phone. He has immediately put both up for auction, and will be giving all the proceeds to charity. Good on him.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

oh come on Microsoft..

So the winphone might do something a little faster than a non winphone. Is that really it Microsoft? Is the only thing you can do to try to persuade me to buy your phone are stupid little gimmicks? I don't actually care how long it takes to look up the weather in 2 cities, or how long it takes me to get round to uploading a photo to FB (as its usually the crap 2g connection I have that is the deciding factor).

Tell me in terms of reliability, default festures, ease of use, battery life etc why winphone pisses on other mobile phone platforms.

5. MrXavia

It sounds to me like they are just using apps to show how fast it is... i.e. they have an app for that..

And it sounded like the people smoked didn't realize exactly how to do things...

IF i had Facebook on my android phone, its like 2 taps to upload a photo after taking it...

6. Lallabalalla

Talktalk were easily the worst telco I've ever had.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Speed Is Not a Selling Point

My daughter, and her friends from high school, don't really talk about speed issues. It's the apps that Apple offers and the cool factor, which MS lost back somewhere in the 00s.

Not sure to whom MS is talking on this one, but it isn't the legions of buyers of they need to make their phones a success.

1. asdf
      FAIL

Re: Speed Is Not a Selling Point

Well said. Who are they selling too? Apple gets virtually everyone but the geeks which have Android to play with. The rare biz types that haven't whined their way to an iPhone already use RIM. Being late to the party is only recoverable if all the beer isn't gone already.

1. asdf
        FAIL

Re: Speed Is Not a Selling Point

FYI to stop a flamewar yes more than geeks use Android but virtually nobody except M$ employees and MVPs use WP.

8. Mountain Climber

Is Pentagoon really Ben the PC Guy?

Is it just me, or does it sound like Pentagoon is really this idiot PC guy who is trying to spin this so he looks like slightly less of a moron? He's clearly a liar for coming up with this scheme... now that he's been busted, whats microsoft going to do about it?

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like