back to article The Register obtains covert snaps of Google's new London offices

Undercover Register snappers have penetrated Google's new London offices to bring you an early look at the type of working conditions the Chocolate Factory offers its London-based Ooompa Loompas. First off, there's a pom-pom creating room ... pompom room The results of their work are then placed inside the "conference …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Turtle

Ugh.

I looked at the pictures of the tasteless interiors but, because I am well aware that money does not buy sophistication, I found no surprises whatsoever.

What I did find, was that this was, in its own way, analogous to the large multi-storey toilet bowl in the woods that Apple is building for its new headquarters. But then again, the only work of artistic merit that Apple has ever produced, has been those heavily photoshopped pictures of Steve Jobs.

Compare all the foregoing with JP Morgan's art collection and library. Sometimes it seems as though only technology advances, and not anything else.

2. Armando 123

Wow

I thought things that tasteless ended in the 70s. Seriously, I have expect a mucus-green Austin Allegro or a burnt orange AMC Gremlin in the parking lot.

Sometimes I get the impression that Google isn't entirely run by grown-ups.

1. Oninoshiko
      WTF?

Re: Wow

Sometimes?

3. SoaG

Actually not Google's offices

Still hiring staff for that part, so they've just sub-let the space for a few weeks.

That's one of the sets for the next Austin Powers movie.

1. Darryl

Re: Actually not Google's offices

Damn, beat me to it... I was going to say all it needed was a little more shag carpet and Austin Powers VII is ready to shoot

4. Wize

What the hell are they planning to do in these offices?

Looks like its for sitting about chatting, not actually working.

Think of any poor sod trying to use their laptop for any length of time in any of those environments.

All well and good, sitting about being 'creative' (http://dilbert.com/2012-03-18/) but I expect their bosses want some sort of end product.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: What the hell are they planning to do in these offices?

I assume they have rows of neatly-aligned desks somewhere, but somehow these pictures never make it in the leaks...

5. John A Blackley

Ah well

Ah, the Great British Moan. About the only thing still great in Britain.

6. The Commenter formally known as Matt
    Facepalm

is it just me

or do almost all of those chairs look massively uncomfortable?

not great for productivity

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Been there

Most of the pics you have shown are break-out areas or meeting rooms. The working areas are relatively normal apart from the doors, and the booths, where you can go and do work in peace, or hold one-to-ones. They also have an amazing staff canteen.

The most memorable part though was the carpets, which have a pile deeper than some swimming pools. It's like walking on clouds.

Anonymous in case our future overlords' carpets are somehow a vital secret.

8. Andrew Jones 2
    Alert

I must say I am quite surprised to see that Google UK are actually staying......

The easiest way to deal with cookie law that is shortly to be enforced in this country is quite simply - not to have any headquarters in a country that is enforcing it. Don't be surprised in 3 - 4 months time when Big Companies pack up in the UK and move somewhere where a small text file on a visitors computer is not considered illegal.

9. h4rm0ny

I assume I'm being trolled?

These are mock-ups or similar by El Reg, who are well known for their senses of humour.

1. Mondo the Magnificent
      Angel

Re: I assume I'm being trolled?

I assure you they are genuine photos.. remember some ElReg readers have been to those offices..

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Granny chairs? Design classics you mean

They're the LCW (Lounge Chair Wood) by Ray and Charles Eames - RRP about £900 a shot, if they're from a good manufacturer.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Granny chairs? Design classics you mean

Nobody ever got fired for buying Eames?

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Looks lovely

But that wont cover the fact that one of their biggest online advertising competitors, Specific Media, is on the top floor of St Giles, right above Googles head. Feng Shui and all that.

12. Will.I.am
    Unhappy

Phones?

I imagine the many app developers who have not received their March payments and have been unable to get through to google will be groaning at the lack of phones anywhere.

13. Microphage
    IT Angle

tastless article ..

But it's what we've come to expect from the REG ...

1. Armando 123

Re: tastless article ..

Tasteless article? Only in that it is an article about some VERY tasteless decor.

14. Peter Stone
    Happy

The first pic,

On seeing the first picture, my inital thought was, that someone had scattered giant licorice allsorts on the floor.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

re: Looks lovely

> Specific Media, is on the top floor of St Giles, right above Googles head

Nothing that a bit of M&A can't sort out my dear..... then their contractors can get a nice cushy design & build job for the floor above too !

16. HeNe
    Holmes

How does it affect your performance review ...

... If you're seen to be actually using these flumpy, humpy, floopy, hoopy lounge areas?

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ha! So that's where they engage on their circle wanking sessions.

I knew it.

18. zorgster

I used to work in the two floors below these Google offices - I left in 2003 so they aren't new offices... our floors were nothing like this, just run-of-the-mill bog standard offices - and they never invited us up...

1. Sir Cosmo Bonsor

No you didn't. The building was only completed last year.

19. Kanhef
    Mushroom

Famous architects

Avoid them like the plague, chlorine trifluoride, and IE 6 combined. Their work is overpriced, gaudy, and made to be 'interesting' or 'novel'. Quality and utility are sacrificed, often to the point that junior draftsmen could do better.

20. Sceptic Tank Silver badge

Green door.... (on page 2)

Door slammed

hospitality's thin there.

Don't know what they're doin'

But they laugh a lot behind the green door.

Green door

what's that secret you're keepin'?

etc., etc.

21. Snot Rot
    Pint

'Honking' is a pretty good word. I like the word 'Honking'. I normally use it to reference a horrific smell, i.e. "Jesus Christ, its F**king honking in here".

Sometimes I go for the plural, i.e. "Mate, your sandwich honks.".

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like