Feeds

back to article Lingerie-clad she-devils romp past watchdog

The Advertising Standards Authority has rejected a complaint that an Agent Provocateur video featuring a pack of lingerie-clad she-devils menacing another woman is "disturbing and misogynistic". The vid first appeared on the company's website last November to punt its Soiree 2011-2012 collection. The ASA summarises that it shows …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Bronze badge

Re: No, that'd be disgusting.

A ton of women?

Sounds like the easiest way to do that would be to make it a bbw video. Also, a bbw version of that video would be pretty cool.

Thumb Up

The spirit of Ken Russell lives on!

Hollywood should make more horror films along these lines.

WTF?

How to mark International Womens Day

Apparently sexual assault in your own home by a group of strangers is OK as long as it is carried out by attractive lesbian dominatrices.

Is the ASA supposed to be regulating advertisers, or be taken out by them so it can chase sticks in the park?

Anonymous Coward

Re: How to mark International Womens Day

Yes

Trollface

"Apparently, not distinguishing between fact and fiction is OK, as long as you can complain about it."

Fix'd that for you.

Anonymous Coward

...carried out by attractive lesbian dominatrices

They don't have to be that attractive when I think about it.....

Facepalm

International Sense of Humour Failure Day too is it?

Anonymous Coward

I think that if it was a group of men doing it then it would be cause for a massive complaint..

but if it was women attacking a man, there would be no complaints from either side of the argument, since men don't care, and women can't imagine a man ever saying no....

> International Sense of Humour Failure Day too is it?

If you find scenes of (implied) group rape amusing, well, that's telling us more about yourself than you might have wanted to reveal on a public forum.

Women and Humour? You're kidding, aren't you?

Silver badge

@Mike Flex

"Apparently sexual assault in your own home by a group of strangers is OK as long as it is carried out by attractive lesbian dominatrices."

Well, yes.

FAIL

Gaargh!

Aspect ratio!

Anonymous Coward

Ooooh wahhh!

That is all

"must not contain anything that is likely to cause serious or widespread offence"

"The ASA received a single complaint about the video"

Honestly, how do these people reach these crazy decisions? Its a travesty!

Anonymous Coward

Offended

Yes. I had to watch that 3-4 times and I am now also offended.

Gold badge
Boffin

This is ridiculous!

How can anyone say that professionally shot footage of a woman being assaulted by scantily-clad lesbian dominatrixes is offensive based on a sample size of one?

We need more research material before we can draw any valid conclusions here.

Facepalm

Re: This is ridiculous!

They're working on the basis that they would have had more complaints if more people were offended...

Bronze badge

puts "lesbian dominatrix" into google images.... :P

heeeeeeyyyy... a few million samples!!!

Anonymous Coward

German Advertising.....

at it's very Best

:))))

Childcatcher

Have you seen their prices?

2000 Euros for a set of lingerie... now THAT is exploitation of women. Scandalous and reprehensible, that's what it is. Spoils the yoof, too.

Silver badge
Unhappy

Re: Have you seen their prices?

You don't think its actually women that buy that stuff do you?

Nope.

I have offered to buy that sort of stuff fro my Gf many many times. Always she says "That stuff just isn't comfortable or practical to wear for any length of time!"

The fact that she only has to wear it for around 20 minutes maybe is lost on her.

Most purchased AP underwear never gets worn I bet.

"now THAT is exploitation of women."

Absolutely not. It's exploitation of MEN! As they usually have to pay for it (literally).

Funny, I was under the impression that that chiffon kimono gown and associated slip was very comfortable to wear.

Silver badge

> Most purchased AP underwear never gets worn I bet.

Have you every been into their shops?

Last time I was in their original one, it was pretty full of women busily shopping and a few men standing around looking embarrassed.

Bronze badge
WTF?

colour me confused

after watching that several times, i still cant understand why the initial complaint came about. I mean, that advert would never have been shown on TV, surely? It's just far too long.......

Not to mention all the bare flesh, breasts and nipples, surely just not going to be shown on TV, right?

So, that leads me to believe that someone has found a (slightly) raunchy video, advertising raunchy underwear, on a website for a manufacturer of raunchy underwear, and has decided to be offended by it. Why where they on said site in the first place?

Bronze badge

Re: colour me confused

You think the complainant was an investor?

Re: colour me confused

I'll correct that for you:

"So, that leads me to believe that someone sought a (slightly) raunchy video, advertising raunchy underwear, on a website for a manufacturer of raunchy underwear, and has decided to be offended by it...."

The weird thing is that just a single complaint can have this effect while in many circumstances legit complaints have no response at all. It sure looks like double standard to me.

Thumb Down

I'm offended by the architecture

Good grief! If the world just had more curtains this sort of thing would not happen.

This post has been deleted by its author

Re: Newsflash...

You probably mean: "Agent Provocateur's target market is very explicitly WOMEN, who's MEN pay for the lingerie!"

Re: Newsflash...

Oops forgot one word. It sghould have been:

You probably mean: "Agent Provocateur's target market is very explicitly WOMEN, who's RICH MEN pay for the lingerie!"

Silver badge
Happy

I sat and watched every disgusting frame of that film.......

.....twice!

M7S
Bronze badge

I think you're all missing the IT angle here

Lingerie is like Government IT.

The more you pay the less you get

Silver badge
Megaphone

I have to wonder...

Is this aimed at women or men ?

Because well, taste differs of course; but when looking at that video I think the woman in the night gown is sexier than all those lingerie clad girls. Some of them wear so much clothing that I'd hardly describe it as lingerie...

Apart from that; I think some people are better of realizing that some companies are hoping that they'll receive complaints. Because that means their product will get mentioned in more media; as such the advertising is working. Think about it; would El Reg have covered this if it wasn't for the complaints?

otoh... given that its El Reg I suppose they might have ;-)

Anonymous Coward

Don't watch ads

Don't tell you all actually sit in your chair watching the adverts. I've got better things to do with my life than watching short bursts of crap video mostly trying to sell something to women. I turn the sound down and carry on reading my book/newspaper until they're over. Then I can get back to what I want the TV for, to be entertained and (alas rarely) educated.

This post has been deleted by its author

Silver badge

Ah, the repressed sexual attitudes. God forbid that someone under the age of 18 ever accept their own horrible, nasty, filthy human body, or understand it. That would just corrupt their tiny, fragile minds. The mere mention of sex within 100 metres of an infants school would cause hundreds of deaths, grey matter leaking from tiny innocent noses.

Clearly, mollycoddling is the way to go.

Silver badge
Coat

I dont remember any such outrage over the.......

....1984 Kays catalogue that year.

Oh how the long winter nights flew by.

That's got more nudity...

But nothing like as sexy as Kylie on a mechanical bull. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHood00sNJU if you don't believe me.

Pint

Re: That's got more nudity...

You, sir, just made my day!

Sometimes I'm glas to be my own boss, VSFW!

I've got the Hammer House of Horror complete collection in my Lovefilm list at the moment too.

Happy

OK by Me

Maybe I'm thick skinned, but I don't feel Offended, Afraid or Distressed! In fact I feel quite good about the whole thing! http://www.theregister.co.uk/Design/graphics/icons/comment/happy_32.png

Anonymous Coward

I am going to troll a little now

I like half naked women. And my penis is erect.

Silver badge

A much better quality version

Is here, btw: http://vimeo.com/31076691

Review

Costumes, overdone

Acting, wooden

Tits, saggy ( the point )

Music, great

Outcome, predictable

Plot, non-existent

very slow to load.

Thumb Up

ahhh

nothing like a bit of naughty advertising to breathe a little life into the ageing equipment.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.