back to article Ten... e-cars and hybrids

Reg Hardware Car Week What started out as a dribble in 2011 is becoming a deluge in 2012 as e-cars in the form of pure electrics, range extenders and plug-in hybrids capabilities start to become ever more common. Until we see a major breakthrough in battery tech, the day will belong to the plug-in hybrids and REs, but that’s …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. PowerSurge

yaris

the yaris hybrid has just been announced. like a smaller prius. no mention?

2. Derk
    Happy

Electric cars....pah

I'm going to buy a horse and cart. The horse can keep the grass cut, provide lots of fertiliser, off road capability if the cart is not used is pretty good. I get to wear riding boots, jodhpurs and a whip. And when dobbin is worn out? well lots of meat for the freezer. Whats not to like?

1. Disintegrationnotallowed

Re: Electric cars....pah

Erm as I remember this was the reason why motorised carts became so popular in New York? The smell was lower, there was less pollution on the streets (crap.. the reason why New york supposedly built the houses with big stairs), and no need to have lots of bales of hay and straw everywhere.

3. JohnG

Hybrid 4WD

Peugeot are not the first to come up with a hybrid 4WD - The Toyota Estima Hybrid has been around for over ten years, using an ICE at the front wheels and an electric motor driving the rear wheels to provide a four wheel drive system on what would otherwise be a front wheel drive Previa.

4. bep

MIssed the point

These discussions always miss the point.

If it was just about cost of ownership no-one would make hybrid and electric cars and no-one would buy them. It's about reducing carbon production. None of these vehicles is price competitive with a cheap diesel, and likely they never will be. If you're looking to save money, then look elsewhere. Many of these same manufacturers make cars in that category too.

5. Neoc

Fisker....

...prepare yourself for "karma ran over your dogma" jokes in 3..2..1..

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Economy

If it's anything like money saving systems in the IT industry, the cost of these things will have been set so the savings you make are offset by a massive price hike. Yes, this (X) will save you £5000/year and will last for 5 years. That'll be £24,999 please.

7. druck Silver badge
    Unhappy

And the rest

"In Germany, the ED will be sold for around €16,000 (£13,410) while the battery pack will leased for around €60 (£50) per month. Those prices don’t take into account any local government grants, so the Smart should still work out a fair bit cheaper than the Renault Zoe in the UK."

I suspect when it goes on sale in the UK, by pure coincidence, it will be around £5000 more expensive than in Germany.

Number 1 rule of government subsidies; the money goes in to the pockets of the producer, not the consumer.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like