back to article Election hacked, drunken robot elected to school board

Security experts have warned that electronic voting systems are decades away from being secure, and to prove it a team from the University of Michigan successfully got the foul-mouthed, drunken Futurama robot Bender elected to head of a school board. In 2010 the Washington DC election board announced it had set up an e-voting …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Tom 13

@AC 04:05, Re: Easy fix.

Hmmm...

Nope, that system didn't work so well in the Iowa caucuses, where you nominally have similarly oriented partisans working to select their nominee (that is, reduced inducement to corruption of the process). On the night of the election all the LSM outlets announced Romney was the winner. A week later it turned out to be Santorum because some of the trusted counters couldn't be arsed to turn in their paperwork.

1. Old Handle
    Go

Nice Going!

“They found that the cameras installed to watch the voting systems weren't protected, and used them to work out when staff left for the day and so wouldn't spot server activity.”

Straight out of a Hollywood movie. Actually it sounds like that was a totally unnecessary flourish, but who could resist?

1. perlcat

Re: Nice Going!

Exactly. From the looks of it, I don't think they'd spot unusual server activity if it jumped up and bit them on the ass.

2. Rune Moberg
    FAIL

Proof?

I would gladly vote for Bender in any election anywhere. He would be a great improvement over any currently elected leader out there.

How do we know that he did not win fair and square?

3. Christian Berger

Missing the point

It doesn't matter how secure such a system is, but how easily you can check it. The usual pen and paper based system can easily be checked. You can detect tampering trivially without any special knowledge.

It can be understood by everybody and checked by everybody.

Plus its cheap and gets results quickly.

So why even think about electronic elections?

1. Rune Moberg
      Thumb Up

Re: Missing the point

First of all, I trust electronics more than I trust people. I don't know what happens to my paper vote after it gets placed in the magic box. I do know that some of these magic boxes are sometimes found after the election is over, containing a bunch of uncounted votes.

Secondly, by cutting costs (both on the counting side, as well as for me, the voter), maybe we can hold _more_ elections, letting me vote on issues rather than on some pretty face with a slick tongue.

Today I do not have to visit my local bank and fill up my wallet with cold cash. I use a credit card instead, and more importantly: I can pay bills using their Internet solution.

In my country of residence, I use the same electronic ID to access my bank as well as various state services (e.g. accessing the DMV records, paying my taxes or book an appointment with my doctor).

If there is a hole in that system, then my bank account would be empty now. Well, truth be told, it is nearly empty, but for different reasons not pertaining to security issues.

1. John G Imrie

First of all, I trust electronics more than I trust people

Then my I just say. Who designed / built / runs the electronics.

'It's Not the People Who Vote that Count; It's the People Who Count the Votes' - Josef Stalin

1. Field Marshal Von Krakenfart

Re: First of all, I trust electronics more than I trust people

'It's Not the People Who Vote that Count; It's the People Who Count the Votes' - Josef Stalin

Ooooohhhhh!!!! Look! Vladimir Putin just won the election in Russia, what a surprise!

2. Alfred
        Facepalm

Re: Missing the point

"First of all, I trust electronics more than I trust people."

If there was some way of designing, making and using electronics without using people, this would make sense. As it is, there isn't, so your choice is untrustworthy people with electronics, or untrustworthy people with bits of paper.

3. h4rm0ny

Re: trust electronics more than people

Electronics don't remove the human element. All they do is mean that to subvert the election you don't have to have dozens or hundreds of corrupt people, you just need one.

1. SYNTAX__ERROR
          Boffin

Re: trust electronics more than people

Umm, there might be some value to the point that it is much easier to have other people verify the integrity of a software solution than it is to check the manual process in a large number of local constituencies.

4. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Get help from the banks.

They are good at this kind of stuff. ATMs, Chip'n'Pin, etc.

Oh... wait...

1. Ru

Re: Get help from the banks.

Diebold make ATMs and voting systems. Turns out the two are only superficially similar.

5. WonkoTheSane
    Terminator

Obligatory...

I for one, welcome our new alcohol-fueled robotic overlord!

6. Winkypop Silver badge
    Devil

Animated cartoon character versus a politician?

Hmmmm, how to chose?

Both are 2 dimensional.

1. Alexandicity
      Thumb Up

Re: Animated cartoon character versus a politician?

It's true, number of dimensions is my most important issue about a candidate!

7. Alexandicity

Bender 4 Prez

They could have made their study a little more interesting. I assume that since the code was released for public testing, that the code was unlikely to see further detailed inspection. I might have added a discrete bit of work that would sit there until election day, add Bender to the actual list of candidates, and allocate plenty of votes to him. Would make for interesting watching when they wanted to release the final tallies :)

1. Rob - Denmark

Re: Bender 4 Prez

I think you missed this part of the article:

>>"It was too good an opportunity to pass up," explained Professor Alex Halderman from the University of Michigan. "How often do you get the chance to hack a government network without the possibility of going to jail?"<<

But if you call the risk of going to jail 'a little more interesting', you are right.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

extremely enlightening

"Financial attacks by hackers are relatively easy to detect – because at some point money has to leave the system. But if an election is hacked then we may never know, because it's a one-time action that typically isn't checked after the results have been announced and officials elected."

And herein, stated more succicntly than ever before, is the entire problem in a nutshell.

What's REALLY important in the world?

9. drunk.smile

I always assumed that...

these e-voting systems would print out a copy of the person's vote for them to check and place in a ballot box so physical recounting is possible.

They don't do that?

It still wouldn't help with removing/changing candidate names from the ballot paper as in the article example though so, as above, old school pen & paper for me.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I always assumed that...

Sorry, but it needs to be anonymous; I wouldn't want my vote to be traced back to me in the UK, never mind somewhere like Iran!

1. El Richard Thomas

Your UK vote isn't anonymous. The ballot paper has a serial number which matches the counterfoil in the book the paper is ripped out of. Your electoral roll number is written on the counterfoil.

2. El Richard Thomas
      FAIL

Doesn't help. You can't be sure that what is printed on your receipt matches the vote recorded in the system.

1. Loyal Commenter Silver badge

Easy enough to fix. Below the touch screen / set of buttons for voting, is a transparent plastic window. Behind this is a receipt printer, like those used in checkout tills. When you make your selection, this prints your choice, displaying it so that you can verify it. This then feeds the roll of paper into a sealed box, so the next voter cannot see your choice. The sealed box then contains an audit trail of every vote passed.

You are also right about anonymity int he UK. The voting card has a voter number on it, which is written on the counterfoil of the ballot paper. Anyone who has access to the list of voter numbers and names, and also the counterfoils, and the ballot papers can trace a vote back to its origin. This does require physical access to both the ballot paper, and the counterfoil, which I would imagine would be securely held, and presumably eventually securely disposed of.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Easy enough to fix. Below the touch screen / set of buttons for voting, is a transparent plastic window. Behind this is a receipt printer, like those used in checkout tills. When you make your selection, this prints your choice, displaying it so that you can verify it. This then feeds the roll of paper into a sealed box, so the next voter cannot see your choice. The sealed box then contains an audit trail of every vote passed."

But this isn't possible for an online system.

10. Jeebus

Only one question remains.

Three hundred one dollar hookerbots or one three hundred dollar hookerbots?

11. Anonymous Coward 15
    Terminator

Electronic voting?

Bite my shiny metal ass.

12. Ben Rosenthal

(V) (;,,;) (V)

Why not Zoidberg?

13. Anonymous Coward 15

"I consider it completely unimportant who in the party will vote, or how;

but what is extraordinarily important is this—who will count the votes, and how." - Joseph Stalin

14. Mint Sauce
    Terminator

Kill all humans...

Go Bender! Go Bender! Go Bender!

15. Goldmember
    Facepalm

'Drunken Robot'

Bender isn't drunk when he drinks. Future robots need alcohol for fuel. They get 'drunk' when they DON'T drink.

And the cigars make them look cool.

16. Anonymous3

Re: Re: I always assumed that...

To: Anonymous Coward

who wrote:

> Sorry, but it needs to be anonymous; I wouldn't want my vote to be traced back to me in the

> UK, never mind somewhere like Iran!

Sorry to burst your bubble.

It has been widely known for decades that The Establishment uses the _unique_ pinhole punched pattern at the top of every ballot paper to identify those who vote anti-establishment e.g. anarchist, communist etc.

Its been going on since long, long _before_ there was 'special branch' and long before the creation of 'anti terrorist' smokescreen.

If you don't Know your history ....etc.

17. Gordon Fecyk
    Boffin

Did anyone else notice the "inherent flaw" conclusions?

Technical details of the hack aside, the paper explained, "Why internet voting is hard," especially, "Tensions between ballot secrecy and integrity." Implementing both secrecy and integrity seems very difficult in any electronic system, but we've mastered both in a paper ballot.

I mean a real paper ballot, that uses "X" for an anonymous signature.

And I couldn't help but notice this little jab: "[...]despite the use of the term “commercial [off-the-shelf software],” includes most everyday open-source software."

In exchange I offer this little jab: "You can't blame Microsoft for this one."

18. disgruntled yank

Hate to tell you, but

In 2006, Adrian Fenty ran for mayor of Washington, DC, and was elected, on a platform that included a takeover of the city schools from the school board. By late 2007, the school board had effectively no function at all. It was a pretty humble start for ROTM.

1. Tom 13

Re: Hate to tell you, but

Yep, and after he put in a competent Super, test scores started going up and even more surprisingly, getting students back from private schools, even some of the affluent white ones. First thing the new mayor did was fire the competent person. Fortunately for citizens in DC, the changes wrought meant he had to at least keep someone who would keep the process going forward instead of completely reversing like he was supposed to do to line the pockets of his union masters.

19. David Eddleman
    FAIL

No.

They need to do the same thing they do on Nevada state voting machines -- random inspections, any discrepancies found and the machine is shut down and investigated, background checks on all devs, board of inquiry for the public to use, and more. Nevada voting machines are more secure because of this, and because there's serious penalties for fuffing about with them.

20. John A Blackley

Not new

Elections have been 'hacked' since God's dog was a puppy.

Only now they're doing it with computers.

1. h4rm0ny

Re: Not new

"Only now they're doing it with computers."

More quickly, more efficiently, less traceably.

21. Bill Dietrich

need multi-vendor, receipt-based system

It's reasonably easy to make a secure, verifiable e-voting system: print receipts, allow verification by the voter later, establish some standards and support multiple vendors. See my web page http://www.billdietrich.me/Reason/ReasonVotingMachines.html Thanks.

22. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They always accuse the innocent...

We're not 100% sure the robot is a drunk...

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Magic Pencils

If I could create magic pencils that would cause a mark made anywhere on a piece of paper to appear in a specific part of the paper, then I could rig a paper ballot.

In software, the magic pencil is a few lines of code.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like