Feeds

back to article Hey Commentard! - or is that Commenter?

Last month a Reg reader contacted us via our Twitter account to complain about the use of the word "freetard", on the grounds that, as an analogue of "retard", the word was derogatory to people with mental handicaps. Americans may have a little difficulty in understanding the substance of this complaint, in the way that most …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Silver badge

Re: Go for it!

I distinctly remember 'AppleTard' being used at some point. Or was that just Webster Phreaky?

deja vu

That story gives me a weird sense of deja vu for some reason.

That story gives me a weird sense of deja vu for some reason.

That story gives me a weird sense of deja vu.

Flame

Can we henceforth refer to El Reg contributors as regtards?

Thumb Up

Commentard

I like commentard - it's something that sets El Reg apart from other websites.

JDX
Gold badge

Re: Commentard

Yes it's part of the culture, the same with 'boffin'.

Re: Re: Commentard

Well "boffin" is a fairly old English term for scientist. Think of it as the English equivalent to the USA's "egg-head".

Re: Re: Re: Commentard

You must stick with commentard. As an expat, one of the reasons I come back to el reg on a daily basis is to get my dose of snarky, mildly-offensive British-English. The day you start to treat us lazy punters and commentards politely is the day I start worrying what you're plotting....

Happy

Re: Re: Re: Commentard

I'm with you on this one:

noun

informal, chiefly British

a person engaged in scientific or technical research:

a computer boffin

a person with knowledge or a skill considered to be complex, arcane, and difficult:

he had a reputation as a tax boffin, a learned lawyer

[Oxford Dictionary]

Coat

Tar

First of all I would think that it was derogatory to us commentards and not people with mental handicaps. Anyhow, I have always preferred to regard it only as tard like in tar. So something that is thick, slows down movement, sticky and hard to work with it.

Second, when will people get it through their thick skulls that words only carry the meaning the sender puts into it, and that it is exceptionally rude of the receiver not to try to interpret that.

TRT
Silver badge
IT Angle

Re: Tar

Is it fair, though, that all commentators be tard with the same brush?

Re: Re: Tar

Yes, and I plan to show that by proving it for each and every one of us. I will start with myself and I want to support my case by submitting all posts I have made so far and all future posts as evidence.

Bronze badge
Megaphone

What's the point of this?

Mobe has been used several times since it was banned so why assume anything different will happen here?

For the record, I like freetard and despise mobe.

Gold badge

Re: What's the point of this?

I thought it was lappy that got banned, and mobe was allowed to remain.

Bronze badge

Re: What's the point of this?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/09/09/mobe_poll_result/

Bronze badge
Megaphone

What's the point of this? (Director's Cut)

Mobe has been used several times since it was banned so why assume anything different will happen here?

For the record, I like freetard and commentard but despise mobe.

Anonymous Coward

Re: What's the point of this? (Director's Cut)

Don't like this comment ... could you do another with a voice over at the end?

Bronze badge
Go

Re: Re: What's the point of this? (Director's Cut)

Actually I think it needs some CGI.

Bronze badge

I don't understand

Is Captain Hogwash a robot or not?

Anonymous Coward

I am a commentard.

I like that word to describe us, it somehow evokes the concept that what we say here is often drivel or dumb or rant, and to get a high count of upvotes you have to rise above being a common commentard and write something exceptional / spot on / or something that every commentard relates to.

As for the accusation of commentard being a disability slur, I have Aspergers and the word commentard doesn't offend me in the slightest, what does offend me is that there's not nearly enough Autism related jokes out there, it's like we're being discriminated against by comedians.

Posting anon, because I can.

Anonymous Coward

Re: I am a commentard.

Have you not see the "Ass-Burgers" episode of South Park then?

Bronze badge

@AC 15:12

Yes, I love that show and it was an epic episode.

Even moreso when I saw the making of which showed how they go from idea to broadcast in just 6 days.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Re: I am a commentard.

Or pretty much the whole of 4Chan, EncyclopediaDramatica and UrbanDictionary..

Bronze badge
Joke

"(W)hat does offend me is that there's not nearly enough Autism related jokes out there..."

Well... there are, but you just aren't getting them...

(Thank you folks; you've been a lovely audience! We'll be here all week.!)

--------------------

As to the original article -- "Give me 'Commentard' or give me death!" (Or, for the more current take: "They can have my 'Commentard' when they pry it from my cold, dead fingers!"). It has always reminded me of the French "Communards" -- another group full of sound and fury, accomplishing... pretty much nothing.

...So it has precedent and ironic aptness, if nothing else.

Bronze badge

Re: Re: I am a commentard.

At least The Onion don't discriminate, nobody is safe from them: <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tInDH2FeXaM">Autistic reporter</a>

Bronze badge

hey what?

who do I have to bribe to get links working in my posts?

Joke

@AC 15:08

If you were to stand outside McDonalds and count all the pieces of rubbish strewn around the street outside, you're probably autistic.

Gold badge

No bribes required

Go here ... and ask nicely.

Happy

Could be worse

Commenturd...

Although it's a shame for people born between 23rd July and 22nd August, who become Leotards. With the majority of Reg readers being male and over 30, we're not well suited to stretchy lycra.

TRT
Silver badge

Re: Could be worse

Yeah, you can't extend that logic to the rest of the zoditards, though. I mean, cancertard? Could easily be misinterpreted.

Heh heh heh. *chuckles* Tardis.

Gold badge
Mushroom

OI!

I resemble that remark.

IT Angle

Choice?

What's all this with giving people a choice of words, this is, after all, a democrocy. Based on the "one man, one vote" system, you just arn't the man with the vote.

Re: Choice?

Discussing democracy and practicing it are two entirely separate things - just ask ____ (this blank to be filled in as an exercise for the reader/commentard)

Coat

And one for our esteemed Mr O.

I've been trying to come up with a pithy -tard for El Regs star contributor, but cant really do better than Übertard.. And that is somehow too.. Germanic. Anyone got a better suggestion?

- It'll take more than a coat to hide from his wrath but what the hell..

Silver badge
Big Brother

Enough of this democracy rubbish

I want to be Commentrade Jedit! In El Soviet Registar, articles comment on YOU!

Paris Hilton

Don't forget journotards

I like commentard, I also like the converse of it.....journotard

Silver badge

Re: Don't forget journotards

I prefer "repotard". The word just makes me laugh. Yeah, I'm know, I'm commentarded.

I thought everyone knew why "Jap" was offensive (if it's used in the Sun to describe a people, it's offensive - fact!). Probably more so in the US simply because of the WW2 propaganda calling the Japanese, Japs as an offensive derogatory term, so it's also offensive in Japan so really shouldn't be used.

However, I'm a commentard, and my brother calls me a fucktard, the Doctor flies around in a tardis and probably eats his beef with mustard, all is well in the world.

Anonymous Coward

Jap

Since we seem to be appreciating that Jap is an offensive word, because that's the purpose for which it was originally formed, might I suggest that as El Reg should adopt a different epithet.

And please, as the site has a distinctly British tone, can it be Nip. As in the old joke about kamikaze pilots...

Vic
Silver badge

Re: Jap

> Jap is an offensive word, because that's the purpose for which it was originally formed

Oh, I don't know.

It was a pretty popular engine before it was commonly used as a racial slur...

Vic.

Thumb Up

Re: Re: Jap

@Vic

Neatly combining work & play there - although I don't currently have any classic machinery powered by the products of J A Prestwich...

Silver badge
Stop

@David Webb

"... probably eats his beef with mustard ...". What sort of bizarre alternate universe do you think the Doctor inhabits? It is *ham* that goes with mustard - beef goes with *horseradish sauce*.

I'm happy to accept cybermen, Daleks and all the rest, but this sort of culinary horror requires too much suspension of disbelief.

Bronze badge

I have not voted.

There is no option there for 'commenterino'.

Re: I have not voted.

Aha, your pseudonym is revealed, Ned Flanders.

Silver badge
Boffin

Re: Commenterino

Didn't you post this tomorrow?

FAIL

really?

At what point did a Reg reader take them seriously enough to be offended by this?

perhaps they should try the daily mail comments section?

Failtard

Silver badge
Stop

Next you'll be telling us we can use the term "Fanbois"

Anonymous Coward

Who actually cares?

Who give a frig what others think of them? Especially the El Regtards!

OOOO, some absoulte no-one is calling me names Boo Hoo.

Anonymous Coward

Freetard and Commentard are very appropriate

All kidding aside aren't those who believe eveything should be free - for their taking, really delusional and retarded mentally in the true sense of the word? They should be offended because they are completely ignorant.

Silver badge
Trollface

Re: Freetard and Commentard are very appropriate

Aha! Trolltard!

Unhappy

ha!

As usual...

"Yours, offended on someone else's behalf".

*sigh*....

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.