Feeds

back to article Apple lands slide-to-unlock patent blow on Motorola

Motorola's Android handsets are infringing Apple's slide-to-unlock patent, in Germany at least, though an appeal may be lodged. Apple hasn't said it will enforce the Munich ruling - a permanent injunction - as it would need to post a bond against failure at appeal, but the judge is clear that Motorola needs to find a different …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Anonymous Coward

Re: skeuomorphic

> Just google 'lock mechansims' then do a quick sketch showing the 'virtual' representation, patent please :-)

You have the wrong idea about what a utility (not design) patent is. Try reading one some day.

Bit more complicated than that.

> Only large organisations can afford it.

Not really, it costs about £10K. Put your savings into it. Hey if it's truly a genius idea you'll make millions. Boom, instant retirement.

Good luck my fellow geniuses, seize that Eureka moment.

we choose not to

we choose not to take out patents on every little idea we come up with every day because _we're not a bunch of fucking jackasses_.

Square corners

Looking at the actual patent the device has square corners, so how exactly does this fit in with Apple's other iPhone etc patents ?

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/58539000/jpg/_58539608_58539607.jpg

FFS

this shit just makes me angry !

the US patent system is clearly broken ,

UK one probably is too

though it is amusing you can buy a patent and retrospectively sue for damages (IANAL so sue may not be the right term)

Happy

Voice pattern recognition?

'Unlock'

'Did you say 'Uncle"?

'No! Unlock'

'Did you say 'No-one Clock"?

'NO. Unlock!!!!'

'Not recognized' Please say word again'

'UNLOCK'

'Shutting down now.' Biddly Beep.

Trollface

Germany is the Texas of the EU.

The software patent trolling by all sides are enjoying the playing field there.

Actually Motorola would only need two "buttons" close together

Open the pod bay doors, iPhone

I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that

Thumb Up

Apple: Motorola Update Department

So now Motorola will need to update their handsets to no longer use slide-to-unlock, eh?

On the one hand, it's a silly patent that has plenty of prior art. On the other hand it's unlikely Motorola will release any updates without it...

Silver badge

Apple are doing themselves no favours with their unrelenting patent trolling.

Silver badge

Even more prior art

I see your garden gates/sheds/briefcases and raise you a public toilet.

Slide to lock/unlock and a graphical representation of the status (engaged/vacant)

(especially those you used to put an actual penny, 1d, in for those oldsters who remember)

As others have commented, why is a virtual representation of well known, and old technology patentable? The "method" is well known and understood.

Maybe I can patent a mousetrap painted sky blue pink? I'm sure no one has made one of those before.

Flame

Sirius Cybernetics Corporation

Darn, I should've patented moving the arm in a circular fashion until the flat of the hand loudly contacts the signal-recipient's cheek to indicate that they're WAY out of line. Seems bit late now.

I stand by my opionion that people who attempt to patent gestures will be the first up against the wall when the revolution comes.

Anonymous Coward

Rethink the slider

Personally I find the slider a pain to use especially when driving. All I needed to do with my old non-smartphone was to press a button when it rang and the call came through the hands-free. These days I have to either fumble to slide my finger across the screen or turn on the not-so-reliable voice recognition facility that drains the battery at an alarming rate or just break the law and drive dangerously.

Let Apple have their slider and bring back the good old button for everyone else.

Thumb Up

Re: Rethink the slider

I hate the slider on my iPod. Of course, you shouldn't be using it while driving, but that aside.

Its annoying.

I've installed 'No Lock' on my SGS2, the button on the side is more than good enough for me thank you.

Re: Rethink the slider

Do you not have a phone that automatically answers whilst on Hands-Free? Or have Apple had that disabled on your phone in a patent dispute?

Mushroom

Class Action Lawsuit

Against all these companies for being such arses with their bloody patents.

Who's with me?

All About Android

I saw something about this on All About Android (a TWiT Network weekly video podcast), and it sounded a lot more like Apple were out to patent the use of a sliding GUI element to transition from one state to another, not merely unlocking. Is this the case, or were they only granted an injunction based on slide to unlock?

I still believe there are far too many lawyers involved in the tech industry, making it an utter abomination for engineers everywhere.

Devil

Software patents are now at the point where they are nothing more than legalised extortion.

Patents are a good idea in principle, since they in theory protect and reward the people who invest in the R&D and genuinely invent something new, but these stupid obvious patents only exist for one reason, to restrict competition in the marketplace. Relying on patents like this to keep your place in the market is the last gasp of companies who are been out-innovated by their competitors.

Section 101 of the U.S. Patent Act sets forth the general requirements for a patent; for an invention to be patentable it must be:

statutory, new, useful, and non-obvious.

Another part on the US patent law is that all prior art should be disclosed (sorry, I’ve lost the link to that), so Google this: Neonode N1m Windows CE based phone from 2004/2005, Jobs only demonstrated the unlock gesture in Jan 2007

In reality crApple are just using the system that is in place at the USPTO, so the real question is why is the US patent process so broken? Because the software industry took over the USPTO in 1994 when Clinton appointed Bruce Lehman to the USPTO. Lehman is not a patent lawyer, he is an IP lobbyist.

Digging through www.opensecrets.org and influenceexplorer.com you can see that Lehman has worked for a string of lobbying firms that have major software companies as clients. It was under Lehman’s leadership as Asst Sec & Commissioner of the USPTO, that the USPTO interpreted the courts as requiring the USPTO to grant software patents in a broad variety of circumstances despite the fact that the U.S. Congress has never legislated specifically that software is patentable. Some of the lobbying firms that Lehman worked for are also make political donations, just look at the amounts Swidler, Berlin et al donate as “Campaign Finance”.

Lehman is also chief author of the DMCA.

Does anyone still wonder why the US patent system is so broken?

Anonymous Coward

Re: Software patents are now at the point where they are nothing more than legalised extortion.

Comments like yours make me think if APPL is really a good investment.

Seems the money will be on Reynolds Wrap, as people like you will be stocking up a lot of tinfoil.

ps - The Neonode N1m has a slide gesture to unlock but the implementation is very different. Nice try. Such biases just tell me you're as morally corrupt as you accuse others to be.

Re: Re: Software patents are now at the point where they are nothing more than legalised extortion.

Accused of bias by a fanboi.......... ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Re: Re: Re: Software patents are now at the point where they are nothing more than legalised extort

Sorry I was laughing do much at AC that I forgot to add this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tj-KS2kfIr0, the unlock is at about 4:00

I made the mistake of reading about this on Engadget this morning. Or - more to the point - I made the mistake of reading the comments to the Engadget story. That place has a signal to noise ratio somewhere in the shoe-size range.

Thumb Up

Shoe size range?

What does your post even mean?

UK shoe sizes start at Child's 4. Goes up to adult 13. SNR = 4:13

US shoe sizes start at Child's 5. Goes up to adult 13. SNR = 5:13

Euro shoe sizes start at 22. Goes up to around 49. SNR = 22:49

Sounds like pretty good content on an internet forum.

Facepalm

Re: Shoe size range?

Slow clap for that tortuously pointless interpretation of my comment there. Haven't I read some of your stuff on Engadget?

In the words of Al iG

Is it because "I" is Apple?

Anonymous Coward

There's only one guesture I'm interested in when it comes to apple

It involves the middle finger of the right hand.

Anonymous Coward

Hang your heads in shame

Here is a company making billions of dollars a year from selling MP3 players, mobile phones and computers, none of which they invented.

The worlds greatest company at selling other peoples hard work, invention and inspiration.

And their contribution to the advancement of technology?

Rounded corners and sliding fingers across a screen.

Pathetic... they should be ashamed of themselves.

have wallpaper appear as a door with a bolt

If the wallpaper appeared as a door with a bolt on it, that would make the patent look more silly, wouldnt it?

Flame

Well done

Apple have succeeded in one thing only. Being the biggest c**ts in the world

Gold badge

Alternate unlock...

CM7 has an option (and I've also seen this on my firend's phone with whatever firmware the maker shipped it with) where there's a 3x3 grid of circles, you drag your finger across the circles in some pattern (to "set" the password) then the unlock is to drag your fingers in the same pattern later. Of course, if your "pattern" is a left-to-right swipe... well, that's just some coincidence isn't it?

WTF?

This is a software patent...

I didn't think they were legitimate in Europe... what's going on there then?

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.