Feeds

back to article UK crime-busters knock hiphop site off the Internet

The UK’s Serious Organised Crime Agency (SOCA) has moved on a popular hip-hop news and track-exchange site, RnB Xclusive, and is threatening those trying to access the site with criminal investigation. The site, described by TorrentFreak as a popular blog posting news, commentary and links to music, has been seized by SOCA and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

The language is really unlike anything you'd expect from law enforcement.

However, I phone the SOCA press office yesterday evening, which I shouldn't have done as they really only want the press using that number, there is another number for the general public.

Nonetheless, they did confirm to me that the warning page on rnbxclusive was genuine.

So how about them apples.

SOCA apparently works for the IFPI now.

Anonymous Coward

Thanks for the heads up.

Then I am gobsmacked that my taxes go to support such outright lies and threats not to mention paying the salaries of utter morons.

well if that's what uk policing has sunk to then time has come to stop pissing on them when they are on fire.

Did you know it was the police not liverpool fans who pillaged the dead at Hillsborough (for my sins I reviewed the files of Hammond suddards the solicitors who advised south yorkshire police at the enquiry)?

imo police are no longer public servants but our enemies

Way off topic...

...but this is why a proper enquiry is needed. There have been too many knee jerk cover ups to screw justice and protect those who are meant to be our servants...

Anonymous Coward

"As a result of illegal downloads young, emerging artists may have had their careers damaged. If you have illegally downloaded music you will have damaged the future of the music industry."

Nah - it's OK mate - I uploaded far more than I downloaded so I think we're quits OK?

Anonymous Coward

Love it!

Your sins are forgiven :D

Silver badge
Thumb Up

Oh excellent..

Less of that tone deaf drivel i have to download!!!

Suite me Sir...

h 2
Happy

Wrong IP

Ho Hum it lists my companies gateway and not me :)

Silver badge
FAIL

I assume your company keeps logs of the traffic that enters and leaves the gateway?

Anonymity Fail.

h 2

www.pro-music.org ??

Fails a DNS lookup, so I assume this means there isn't a list of real music websites

Flame

enjoy monitoring mine as well assholes

see title...

Anonymous Coward

Seriously?OCA, that would be one of the funniest targets for Anonymouses i have yet seen... particularly like the way you have to cut and paste their link at the arsend to 'legal' sites!

Anonymous Coward

Can they not do anything more serious

And arrest all the chavs that listen to RnB?

Loads of html errors:

Go here: http://validator.w3.org/

put in the site: http://www.rnbxclusive.com/

It's also interesting that the closest 'threat' to music piracy to be identified as one of SOCAs targets is (http://www.soca.gov.uk/threats/intellectual-property-crime) intellectual property and there is no mention of music.

As with others I feel that my taxes are not being well spent - metal thieves, as well as the more traditional crimes, are more relevant, not music piracy or terrorism.

ttfn

g e
Silver badge

If you're going to buy a police unit

Then there should be ample evidence that the crimes it solves produce a clear and direct benefit to the police's greatest paymaster.

The bloody tax payer.

I can see, indirectly, the value of car insurance fraud, but no way can I see the benefit from stopping a file of music downloading. Not like CD's, etc, will get cheaper because of it, or music get better.

This smells dodgier than a bag of very dodgy things which have been stored in a warm cellar for 6 months.

Joke

'bag of dodgy things'

...or the contents of my fridge, as it is otherwise known.

g e
Silver badge
Pint

Ewwww!

You do know you can plug those things into the electromatrickey and they get cold inside, right? :oD

Pint for you (a cold one!)

Twaddle

Sounds like scaremongering in the extreme. Big brother is watching - yah, boo! My goodness, what a scary notice (not). Incredibly childish. Sounds like the SOCA has been taking lessons from the USA and their close-down of Megaupload. I fail to see how they can shut down a site before any due process has taken place. This is despicable. Just who, exactly, is behind this?

Have the owners of the site been charged with a crime and found guilty by a court?

As if they haven't and the SOCA are saying that the songs ARE stolen and not allegedly stolen then they have just lost the prosecution the case as the police are not there to make judgement on if someone has stolen or not only a court can do that. A good lawyer will rip this case to shreds.

Maybe the sysadmin who put up the redirect page knew very well what he was doing ;-)

Anonymous Coward

Dear Rap Artiste

I'm so ashamed that I stole from you. You must have been devastated when I took your MP3. Having grown to love your MP3, I can only imagine how hard it must have been for you to live without it.

I can't live with myself any more, so I'm returning your MP3. In fact, to compensate for the misery I've caused, I'm sending it twice, so that you'll have a spare.

I hope you and your MP3s will be very happy together. Me, I'll just have to manage somehow.

Anonymous Coward

ASA.org.uk

As a matter of principal I have submitted a complaint to the Advertising Standards Authority about their misleading and intimidating advertisement of the pro-music.org web-site.

I would enncourage you to do the same.

Anonymous Coward

Re: ASA.org.uk

I got this in response:

Dear Mr xxxxxxx

Thank you for contacting the ASA about a notice placed on a website by the Serious Organised Crime Agency. The CAP Code does not apply to “statutory, public, police and other official notices or information.” As this material falls within this category, we are not entitled to assess it further because it does not fall within the ASA’s remit.

I hope this clarifies the matter for you and thank you for taking the time and trouble to contact us with your views. If you would like further information about the ASA, our website, www.asa.org.uk, contains information about the ASA and the work we do, including the results of investigations into other complaints.

Kind regards

Taylor Meanwell

Complaints Executive

Advertising Standards Authority

Mid City Place, 71 High Holborn

London WC1V 6QT

Telephone 020 7492 2222

www.asa.org.uk

Danny your a genius

"... Dutch ... downloading (movies and music) is legal here"

That's it .... M'Lud all these MP3 files and videos on my client's computer were downloaded during his recent visit to Netherlands

Hahaha

Anonymous Coward

what

10 Years inside for visting a web site, looks like threatening behaviour to me

A person is guilty if he either

a) uses towards another person threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour, or

b) distributes to another person any writing or sign which is threatening, abusive or insulting

I think the police should be called, as this must have threatened lots of people by now.

I'm not even sure downloading anything is an offence in it's self, distrobution may be.

Prats, hope this makes the major news outlets and has the piss taken out of it, over and over again.

I guess it good that I don't have curly hair or and I am not stepping on the cracks in the pavement.

Anonymous Coward

I've just looked at the page and they confidently tell me that my IP address is 74.125.16.44

Perhaps I also live in the USA, have $50 billion in the bank, and no first name. ("Please come with us Mr Google, sir..")

Note to SOCA: the page looks much more scary [to my British eyes] translated into German, so how about substituting the one served up by Google translate.

Silver badge

Looks pretty freaky in Korean! And they'll have to investigate Mr Kim Jong Bing. :p

Silver badge
Alert

Oh come on!

This isn't a criminal matter (or shouldn't be).

It's not like they were printing out tickets to the artists gigs and selling them as if they were the real thing.

Hoax?

Any confirmation apart from the website itself?

Sounds too over the top to be genuine. Why tell people you're recording IP addresses. And I don't think SOCA have been involved in copyright take downs before, and it's hard to see how it fits into it's remit. Probably chosen because it sound like SOPA.

Nothing on the SOCA website (although wouldn't necessarily be anyway).

(Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: Hoax?

Confirmed to The Reg newsdesk - and SOCA have arrested someone: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/02/15/rnnxclusive_soca/

Anonymous Coward

Please, anonymous, bot the hell out of this replacement page.

Anonymous Coward

Anonymous are NOT your personal army.

Anonymous Coward

man it's been a long time since I last saw that rule.

Trollface

Gone

I see the previous fire and brimstone warning has been updated.

The home page has changed now.

No threats at all, maybe they have taken notice of the reaction.

Coat

Meanwhile....

In a game of SOCA today Smisham FC beat Fuggles United 2-0

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.