Feeds

back to article Sinofsky shows off Windows 8 on ARM and Office15

Windows boss Stephen Sinofsky has ended months of speculation with the first (fairly) detailed drilldown into Windows 8 on ARM (WOA) platform, and says it should be ready for a simultaneous launch with its x86/64 counterpart. Devices running WOA will come with both a Metro touch-based interface and the more traditional desktop, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

JDX
Gold badge

"Translation: we now realise the Win32 API is crap"

Hardly. It's just old and outdated. It was designed when Windows was for desktops only and simply doesn't reflect today's needs.

Go

hmmm

not all so sure about this, whilst I'm confident that Microsoft will produce a very nice and polished product I can see things getting messy when you can buy x86 and ARM tablets. The x86 versions will be useful as they will just be mini computers, and will be a real hit for transformer type/dockable devices.

With this more closed platform the ARM versions will be able to guarantee a very high level of stability , on the other hand little existing software will work. Having said that it shoudln't be too difficult to port a lot of stuff. Windows will largely be in competition with itself and will need to clarify who the target market really is, and selling it as Windows for ARM doesn't sound like a good idea.

Also Medfield has proved to some extent that the whole ARM vs x86 thing isn't necessarily true, and the x86 tablets may be able to have just as good battery life. The one thing that I think is likely is that the ARM tablets will probably be cheaper than x86 and this may be the key here. Intel and AMD will need to throw their weight behind a few tablet makers to ensure that regular windows 8 is a justifiable tablet OS. One problem that may arise for MS here is that on the x86 tablet side of things there will be a mix of products, some very good, some probably terrible.

FAIL

Minicomputers?

Actually, a minicomputer is somewhere in between a mainframe and a microcomputer. A PC is an example of a microcomputer.

Good news all round

Some green credentials

Competition for Apple

Competition for Intel

Methinks its time to top up the ARM Holdings PLC shares...

Silver badge
Happy

I got in....

....when they were £1!

Still think they are a good but for the next few years.

Silver badge
Trollface

Making developer's lives easier by providing them with Visual Studio. Hmmm. Speaking as a long time Windows developer am I allowed to take issue with that statement?

Silver badge

As a long time Windows dev myself, I'd rather have VS that a command line and a load of compilers.

And I'd rather have a command line and a load of compilers than Eclipse.

Thumb Up

Visual Studio

Visual Studio is the best piece of software ever to have come out of Redmond. And the best IDE in the world, bar none.

Flame

I'm down

For trying it out. It certainly feels like the first thing Microsoft is getting right in a longtime. It's like they had to give up and give in to be reborn. They are getting pretty good at imitating thier competition at this point. So a cheaper version of t he iPad is very interesting. I have no need for office...that stuff is like 30 yeas old now...we should move on already. The big problem is, as been stated, development of apps. I do some amazing things with an iPad. If I could do things like ... Make music and art, and learn new topics to a high degree like on an iPad...I'm in. The big problem with Microsoft is thier philosophy of imitating others, but attempting to do it more cheaply, as by the time they get rolling on a "new" product everyone else has moved on.

Wait and see

They need plenty of time to get it all to work properly, the danger being a rush to market and then a long period of trying to get it all to work properly, in the meantime they lose market share. This is one M$ need to get right first time, because I do think there won't be a second chance.

So they've ported Windows to ARM. Big deal.

Ru
Trollface

Well said.

I'm totally sure this boring bit of news will pass us all by, and there will be absolutely no effects on the consumer electronics industry nor on one of the largest software companies in the world! Oh, I doubt anyone who sells software for the traditional wintel platform will care very much either. I mean, of what relevance is it to them?

There's also no possibility that this has repercussions on hardware openness (locked bootloaders? booooooring) nor on the manufacturers of x86 or x64 hardware. Move along, nothing to see here.

Six letters and a space

WOA DOA

Silver badge
IT Angle

Meh, another "me too" by MS...

....years too late and boring as hell, as usual with MS.

Instead of picking up and fixing it Sinofsky managed to KILL Allard's tablet in order to protect his turf (ie it runs Office on desktop Windows), we know that, the Office group where this ex-lead @hole refused to modify anything in Office to match tablet touch screens ...

... and now the same corporate zombie is showing his version, only years later and running the most boring thing ever. Right, what a great job.

In case someone cannot recall the details of Allard's innovative tablet - and here Cnet is way too kind with Sinofsky: http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-20128045-75/how-windows-8-kod-the-innovative-courier-tablet/

We'll see, I guess but I don't see it as a breakthrough, more of another copycat.

@levente

I would have loved to own a Courier tablet, I remember thinking at the time that this is the tablet for me. The thing is that I can also see why it wasn't eventually chosen by MS: It wasn't aligned with Windows & Office and MS is Windows & Office through and through. Also, it's massive, they could never have produced it at a price point acceptable to the average tablet buyer. I personally use dual monitors at home and work, I really know the advantages, but the vast majority of people don't and have no interest in doing so, they wouldn't have seen why it's worth the extra money.

I would have loved one running Windows 8, mind.

Pirate

Consumers, consumers, consumers!

It's trivial for MS to produce WOA, it's a little bit more effort to convince developers to recompile or port apps to it... the real hard part - and critical factor - is converting your consumers mindset.

Picture across the country Currys/Best Buy customers returning shiny new ARM-based PCs because they are unable to reinstall their software on the new platform. Most of them are not going to understand the difference between ARM and x86/x64, all they're going to know is that it doesn't work the way their last computer did.

"What do you mean I can't run xyz on it? I have to buy all my software again?!" Look at how difficult it has been for Blueray to take off - that's after killing it's HD DVD competitor. People are getting sick of re-buying all their collections of media and software.

Windows now has Android and iPad to compete with in an established market. Competing is a thing Microsoft is very weak at doing (it prefers buying out competitors, FUD, EEE, litigation etc...). For years one of the bug bears of Linux and to a degree Mac, has been apps and gaming - the reason so many can't leave Windows entirely or refuse to move to Mac/Linux.

Well the table(t)s are about to turn. I can see many now will say they like WOA but all their apps are on iOS or Android. Many games are going to be released on iOS and Android first, with Windows either ignored or following behind. How long before people say things like "I really like Windows Tablet but I need Android/Linux to play Modern Nuclear Combat War XIII."

Anonymous Coward

Mobile Office

One aspect of all this, which I think worthy of mention, is to flag up the collossal missed opportunity that the Open Office crowd are guilty of here.

With Microsoft only just entering the race and presumably intent on bringing Office to WinPho and WinSlab ASAP, OO [and offshoots] had the field left clear for them for the past two years, if they'd chosen to bring OO to iOS or Android. Instead Open Office and Libre Office have spent that time squabbling amongst themselves, while NeoOffice have wasted it devising a pointless cloud wannabe that nobody uses.

Two whole years, when they could have had a working Open Office suite out there, running on smartphones and fondleslabs, winning people over and really pushing the concept of a free, open standards mobile office suite that does almost everything Microsoft's offering does —and they've pissed it all away.

Now Microsoft will lumber belatedly up to he starting line, doubtless with an inferior product, but will still gain market share [especially in the business sector] because people will correctly percieve that only now are they able to do their 'office' type stuff on the go.

An own-goal of Nokia-sized proportions!

Silver badge

Interestingly my Nokia N800 from 2008 (and the N900) runs Open Office. Even better, it runs Gnumeric.

FAIL

So no compatability with legacy apps then....

Windows 8 on a PC is a totally different OS to Windows 8 on a tablet. And whilst the PC can run tablet apps, the tablet won't run anything from the PC.

A bit shit then....

@Barry

You decided to join us, I was wondering if you were alright...

You're wrong on all of your comments, but thanks for joining us anyway.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.